4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
arf

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New strut mount noise

I recently replaced struts + mounts in front on my 2014 (along with swaybar endlinks). Now on the passenger side I have a terrible squeaking / creaking noise (sort of like a rubber on metal sound) when I move the steering wheel while parked or at slow speeds.

I used these strut mounts from Rock Auto (see photo) - the bearing is integrated into the mount as you can see

Does anybody know if it's necessary to grease these? I didn't grease them (assumed they were pre-greased) and while the car rides great, the creaking is driving me crazy.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA1018247-5__ra_p.jpg (40.9 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
It might be because of the springs are not compressed fully. Did you install them yourself? If not take it back to the mechanic.

2009 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD
2005 RAV4 Base 4WD -sold
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
arf

(Thread Starter)
The springs are seated properly in the strut. I did all the work myself.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I've seen a lot of noise issues with aftermarket top mounts. Sometimes you can spray them with a lubricant and get the noise to go away temporarily. Rock Auto usually has a good warranty on their parts. You could try another mount and see if it helps.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
arf

(Thread Starter)
I think I will replace the mount. I tried spraying some PL100 lubricant in there but it didn’t do much.

Do you know if the Toyota ones come greased, or do you guys grease them when you install?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Chances are you installed it wrong. When putting a strut together there is a flat spot on the strut rod and a matching flat spot on the mount where the rod goes thru. It's very easy to get this alignment off when installing the strut components. If this alignment is off your strut will be off center. You will get binding and noises that you describe. Also make sure your assembly is installed correctly. The top mount looks symmetrical, but might not be. Check for an arrow stamped in the mount to indicate the front. I'm not trying to bash your work, but over 25 years of shade tree mechanic work I've never seen strut mount bearings be bad out of the gate.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
arf

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav4system3 View Post
Chances are you installed it wrong. When putting a strut together there is a flat spot on the strut rod and a matching flat spot on the mount where the rod goes thru. It's very easy to get this alignment off when installing the strut components. If this alignment is off your strut will be off center. You will get binding and noises that you describe. Also make sure your assembly is installed correctly. The top mount looks symmetrical, but might not be. Check for an arrow stamped in the mount to indicate the front. I'm not trying to bash your work, but over 25 years of shade tree mechanic work I've never seen strut mount bearings be bad out of the gate.
The flat spot you're talking about, it's physically impossible to get this wrong - the piston from the strut can't go in any other way (the mount is slotted for this reason).

As for the arrow indicating the front, I didn't see one on the part. At this point I'll have to take it all apart anyway so I'll have a look. I'm thinking I'll order a new mount but I was hoping there would be something to do before that.

And I don't take that as bashing, I came on here asking for feedback so I'm glad to get any reply
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf View Post
The flat spot you're talking about, it's physically impossible to get this wrong - the piston from the strut can't go in any other way (the mount is slotted for this reason).

As for the arrow indicating the front, I didn't see one on the part. At this point I'll have to take it all apart anyway so I'll have a look. I'm thinking I'll order a new mount but I was hoping there would be something to do before that.

And I don't take that as bashing, I came on here asking for feedback so I'm glad to get any reply
Trust me the flat spot on the strut can be misaligned with the mount. I had a customer with a Sorento that described the issue you describe. When I took it apart the strut shaft had damaged the mount when he tightened the mount retaining nut. A new mount was needed as the misalignment of the mount made it unusable. Just something to look at when you pull it apart. Make sure you let us know. I'm gonna see if I still have pics of the damage.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
arf

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav4system3 View Post
Trust me the flat spot on the strut can be misaligned with the mount. I had a customer with a Sorento that described the issue you describe. When I took it apart the strut shaft had damaged the mount when he tightened the mount retaining nut. A new mount was needed as the misalignment of the mount made it unusable. Just something to look at when you pull it apart. Make sure you let us know. I'm gonna see if I still have pics of the damage.

You're making me wonder, since both the hole of the mount and the piston from the strut are D shaped.

I've got a new mount on the way so we'll see once I get it all apart.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf View Post
You're making me wonder, since both the hole of the mount and the piston from the strut are D shaped.

I've got a new mount on the way so we'll see once I get it all apart.
My guess is that when it was being put back together the mount shifted on the strut rod. Shift happens I guess LOL. Hopefully this isn't your issue...just something to look out for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement