AC only works when moving. - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
AC only works when moving.

Actually, it only works when I first start up the car after a long rest and while the car is in significant forward motion, but it blows hot air if I get stuck in slow traffic or stop at a light, only to blow cool when I get going again. It also cools after a few minutes idling in park. My first thought was something to do with the compressor, but after reading a bit, I wonder if it’s the engine cooling fans not spinning unless I’m moving, and to back this up, the external temperature readout on the dash jumps significantly during those slow traffic periods on the highway when the air blows hot. Replacing the air filter helped only a tiny bit, and the shop said the refrigerant was fully charged when they checked. Anyone else experience this? It’s a 2015 LE. I’m willing to do the work myself if it’s not a difficult access situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,797 Posts
Garage
Yes, sounds like your electric radiator fans are not running. They should run whenever the A/C compressor is running. This will also cause your engine to overheat.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page