Transmission shifts hard - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission shifts hard

Hey everyone
Just joined the club about three weeks ago. Got a 2015 rav4 with 79k on it. Anyways. I was changing all the fluids to get a pretty good baseline. The only think I wasnít comfortable with was the transmission fluid. Took it to the dealer right down the street and asked them to check the fluid. They told me it would be better to just do the flush than to check it since it was getting pretty close to the recommended change (at 90k). Sine the price was about the same I decided to go with a flush. They did the work and said everything was good on the car. I drove it over the weekend and was noticing some pretty weird slippage especially 3rd and really on the 4th gear. There was a noticeable slip when going into fourth either on the highway or just in town. The transmission never slipped before I took it for the flush. So I notified them about it. They were real nice and said they would take another look at it. They said they checked the fluid level, reset the ďsystemĒ, and test drove it and the mechanic said their tech said it felt fine. So I took it back home and the next day I feel the slippage again! It seems to be worst when the car is cold but it still happens when itís warm. Anyone have some advice on this?
Thanks! And sorry for the long post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:28 PM
arf

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Sounds like flushing may have been the wrong choice. Oftentimes it’s best just to drain and fill to avoid potential issues. If you did it at a dealer I would go back and explain your issue even though they say it’s fine - it clearly isn’t!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Transmission shifts hard

Glad I skipped the flush on mine. Sorry to hear mate.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf View Post
Sounds like flushing may have been the wrong choice. Oftentimes itís best just to drain and fill to avoid potential issues. If you did it at a dealer I would go back and explain your issue even though they say itís fine - it clearly isnít!

Yup. Planning on taking it back to them. Is this something that would of caused permanent damage to the transmission?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Watch this video by Scotty Kilmer, he explains about changing vs. flushing transmission fluid (6:05 minute mark for flushing info).

Pancreatic Cancer - the silent killer!
Freedom isn't free, thank you veterans! 9-11-01...NEVER FORGET!

2015 XLE AWD Silver Metallic + Camry horns; fog lite mod; OEM A/W mats / mud guards; AVS vent visors / bug deflector; BUMPSHOX bumper guard; Gentex mirror; console tray; HAM radio; LED's; Shark Fin antenna. [To do: BSM's; hitch.]

'12 - Highlander SE AWD
'09 - RAV 4 Base AWD
'06 - Highlander Base AWD
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey D. View Post
Watch this video by Scotty Kilmer, he explains about changing vs. flushing transmission fluid (6:05 minute mark for flushing info).

Dang. That is pretty damning coming from Scotty. Well, I guess I take it back and ask for a tech to ride with me to show him it is indeed slipping even though they said it wasnít for them. Knowing how dealerships can be deny deny deny sometimes. It may be a challenge to get them to own up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement