Why Moderate spelling errors?? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Site News & Feedback Here is the place to ask questions about the site and offer your ideas and suggestions on how to improve it!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why Moderate spelling errors??

I keep seeing posts edited by Dr. Dyno. I've had 2 edited myself, and no reason was given. One I posted "per say" and it was changed to "per se". Ummmm REALLY?? OK. Another I have no clue. Nearly everyday I see posts edited and some say reason "spelling".
Sorry but this is pretty intrusive to have people 2nd guess others with this type of silliness to edit spelling, and even math errors.
I've posted on many forums, and this is unheard of for obvious reasons.

Leaving people wondering what they did wrong is not a great idea.

So, my question is. Is it really against forum policy to misspell wordz here?

2016 AWD SE metallic gray 10-15-16
The Following User Says Thank You to KJPAT08 For This Useful Post:
Dr. Dyno (02-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,797 Posts
Garage
No, there's no rule against misspelling, but I'm one of those people who see a misspelled word and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Especially when the word is misspelled in the title of the thread, it becomes a popular thread, and I keep seeing it over and over again. I mainly edit thread titles or important keywords because of the search engine. If somebody is searching for HYBRID, and the poster spells it as HYBIRD, that thread will never be found in a search. Same thing goes for BREAKS instead of BRAKES for example. I don't care if somebody typed WALAA instead of VOILA, and I don't edit because of to/too/two or there/their/they're, or your/you're, even though all of these make me cringe. Words like that aren't likely to be keywords used in a search. So that's my excuse.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
Blogson (02-16-2017), Butts (02-16-2017), Dr. Dyno (02-16-2017), RTexasF (02-28-2017), twolazydogs (02-16-2017)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I completely get the title and keyword issue. I'm more talking about random posts in threads with spell errors. I saw today one "math error edited" and one "to to too" edited, and this seems pretty common with Dr. Dyno here.
Most forum users are not used to being corrected regularly like school, and it's been deemed OK to act human.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/2311249-post1.html

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Thanked 1,030 Times in 902 Posts
Okay, I'm guilty !
Like JuneBug I cringe at spelling errors. And since he gave me supa powaas I can't help meself. It's probably because I've done a little professional writing for American Iron, a motorcycle magazine, and they want everything perfect. If it's too sloppy you get rejected out of hand.

What I've noted is if I catch and correct a post within about 30 minutes of its posting the "Last edited by" note at the bottom doesn't appear so the correction is transparent and probably isn't ever noticed, even by the OP.

But after whatever the magic time limit is the note will be there no matter what I do so I'm kinda stuck having to give some reason which probably seems picayune to some and maybe even lightly offensive to the poster. And in some cases most members never see the extensive rewriting sometimes needed just for readability.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
Okay, I'm guilty !
Like JuneBug I cringe at spelling errors. And since he gave me supa powaas I can't help meself. It's probably because I've done a little professional writing for American Iron, a motorcycle magazine, and they want everything perfect. If it's too sloppy you get rejected out of hand.

What I've noted is if I catch and correct a post within about 30 minutes of its posting the "Last edited by" note at the bottom doesn't appear so the correction is transparent and probably isn't ever noticed, even by the OP.

But after whatever the magic time limit is the note will be there no matter what I do so I'm kinda stuck having to give some reason which probably seems picayune to some and maybe even lightly offensive to the poster. And in some cases most members never see the extensive rewriting sometimes needed just for readability.
First I'll say I do like and appreciate your contributions and knowledge here, so please don't take this wrong.

Second I'll say these are other people words, personality, and background that you are changing, not yours to turn in to a publisher. It is not at all important for the good of the board that every word is spelled correctly IMO. If you can read it, then re-write it, you can safely assume we get the point of the original post.

The Following User Says Thank You to KJPAT08 For This Useful Post:
Dr. Dyno (02-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page