RAV4 GEN-1 Should be incl. in R4W Banner at Top of Pages: Please Correct - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Site News & Feedback Here is the place to ask questions about the site and offer your ideas and suggestions on how to improve it!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RAV4 GEN-1 Should be incl. in R4W Banner at Top of Pages: Please Correct

Re-DIRECTED from Toyota RAV4 Forums > RAV4.1 First Generation (1994-2000 Models) > 4.1 General > RAV4 GEN-1 Should be incl. in R4W Banner at Top of Pages: Please Correct

Ironic that the iconic GEN-1 RAV4, world's first crossover, progenitor of all things RAV4, isn't pictured w/ other RAV4s in banner at top of this page, "RAV4World.com." After all, GEN-1 RAV4 was copied by nearly every automotive manufacturer on the planet! Honda, who "never copies," not only copied the entire RAV4 body style (except for tail lights!) --AND-- the name: RAV4 ~~ CRV. "Imitation is the highest flattery." To add insult to this injury, is the "What HAPPENED to you, man?" cartoon. Even more reason to incl. GEN-1 in our banner.

I petition the Powers-Who-Be to re-make this image (far top, above) to incl. our GEN-1 RAV4, of which I'm a proud owner (1998 FWD 4-door). I tell every RAV4 I meet to join R4W. Every time I visit, and see this image, I instinctively [email protected]@K for my boxy little 1st-Generation. When it's not there, I ask, "Huh?"
THANK YOU for rectifying this omission.

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.

Last edited by Techsus; 02-05-2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: correct spacing
The Following User Says Thank You to Techsus For This Useful Post:
Mindflayed (02-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Every time I log in, my eyes make a BEELINE for the banner to see if our proGEN-1-itor has been incl., the ICONIC GEN-1 RAV4.

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Garage
Years ago, as the RAV4.1 got older and the new models of RAV4 started to introduce themselves to the Toyota world year by year. There was a discussion in this forum of which model RAV4 should be at the top. (RAV4, 1,2,3,4 or RAV4.4,3,2,1) At first it looked to me as a childish situation when grown adults started to discuss and really disagree which RAV4 forum should be at the top of the list of RAV4 models. Eventually, we lost and our forum was pushed deeper and deeper in the last of RAV4 list. Occupying the BOTTOM of the list of RAV4s. Needless to say our RAV4 was the ONLY RAV4 to revolutionized the mini SUV industry, meaning, the rest is history. BTW, for the new guys, I've been in this forum since day one in 1996, 23 years. We should give some credit to the RAV4.1 who started this forum years ago since Kelly, the founder of this forum was the big dog. DJ Sueno knows what I'm talking about. A lot of good RAVers came and went. Just my two cents, of old copper, the old mensa. 34 when I started here, now 61.
The Following User Says Thank You to mensajero For This Useful Post:
Techsus (02-23-2019)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
mensajero,
Thank you for taking time to record this walk down memory lane. I notice, looking back, that I joined R4W "before" ever buying my '98 RAV4 10SEP2010! See how eager I was to acquire a GEN-1 RAV4? Even back then, I just loved the look of the original RAV4s. I really can't stand any of the other models. The vestigial cladding on GEN-2 is patently absurd, and gone altogether by GEN-3. After GEN-1, RAV4 got so bloated and obese-looking, so fast. So sad. Your post was so interesting. There is a GAP in our banner (top, this page) that would EASILY fit half a dozen other images of our beloved RAV4s, and hopefully one day (SOON!) will incl. the PROGENITOR ("pro-GEN-1-tor) of them all, 1996-2000 RAV4!
THANK YOU!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm 18 yrs and just got the '19 Adventure premium really like it didn't know they had ravs way back then awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to rubyred19adv For This Useful Post:
Techsus (02-23-2019)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:20 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,797 Posts
Garage
Here's what the original site banner looked like back in '97:

https://www.rav4world.com/index/foldup.html

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
Techsus (02-23-2019)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
JuneBug.,
Utterly wicked! I'd be satisfied if that image were added to our banner! Thank you for the delicious image, what fun!!! Mick Hatzo, are you listening?

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
I love my rav, such a capable little car.

But I still wonder, was the suzuki escudo/vitara/sidekick the first compact suv? Because it came before the rav and the rav is pretty similar. The suzuki is more a "proper" 4wd as it has the low gear box, better 4x4 suspension, solid axle, etc, etc. Would you put the rav4.1 in a different category of the suzuki sidekick?

Anyway, It would be nice having the first rav4 on the banner. the first from the left.
The Following User Says Thank You to room217 For This Useful Post:
Techsus (02-23-2019)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
room217,
RAV4 unequivocally world's first compact crossover SUV, first w/ UniBody construction. RAV4 lit a FIRE under the car manufacturing world. [email protected]@K around-- every single major manufacturer copied it. Honda, "who never copies anything" (ha ha) even copied the NAME (RAV4...CRV...)! ONLY way to tell difference RAV4 vs. CRV (besides logos) is CRV tail lights travel all the way up A-pillars. I love my RAV4. Thank you for helping keep this Thread alive until our dear fearless leaders, Mick Hatzo, changes the banner to incl. GEN-1!

Please add signature to your Profile so we can see what RAV4 you're driving.

Last edited by Techsus; 02-23-2019 at 11:03 PM. Reason: ask room217 to add signature
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Here's what the original site banner looked like back in '97:

https://www.rav4world.com/index/foldup.html

Yep, those were the days. The days of Kelly, and his Xmas toy drive for the kids. He always posted pictures for the Marine for toys campaign. We all chipped in for the kids. I bought my TRD front Anti-Sway bar from him. Derek, (from Hawaii) aka The Guru, the first guy in 1998 to make...yes he made a set of Angel Eyes for the 98 RAV4 from BMW head lights. Andrew, from Down Under, Australia, the first RAV4.1 in the world with a 3SGTE engine, Kidong with a racing 2door RAV4.1. Who some where in this forum he left a very detailed racing specs for the RAV4.1. But unfortunately, many of those DIY were lost in two RAV4 blackout. all the information was lost with a crash, make that two crashes. I lost more then 5K post each, with great ideas and installments. One was converting the TRD muffler in a one line muffler, which I still have on today. This mod, every one laugh at it. But as time went by, they stopped laughing. and did it also. Checho, from Salina PR, who I sold a header and went to my classroom to pick it up . Gunny, an Ex Marine with a tour in Afghanistan, great guy.

In those days, the RAV4 was a new revolutionary vehicle. So much, that Lexus designed its SUV using the same principle as the RAV4. We were always tossing ideas and fabricating almost everything. we custom made almost all the parts adapting therm from other cars, almost all from Celicas. And you know what? Toyota was listening very carefully. As years went by, we saw how the RAV4 started to evolve into the RAV4 of today, but without the V6. Which DID come out momentarily, but then dropped by Toyota, looks like it was too fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to mensajero For This Useful Post:
Techsus (02-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page