Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Petition for Intermediate Shaft Recall

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  sean20202020 
#1 ·
I am petitioning Toyota and the NHTSA for to open an investigation regarding this steering wheel "click/popping" problem, and hopefully force Toyota to issue a safety recall to have it repaired. My car was under 60k miles when the problem began and I have replaced the intermediate shaft per the TSB, but now the problem has returned and I'm being told (at 75K miles) that my rack-and-pinion is bad. My car exhibits now signs of a bad rack and pinion, just the click/pop at low speeds or idle when slightly turning L/R. It is almost unheard of to replace a rack-and-pinion in any car under 150k+ miles. Please sign if you are fed up with this issue and truly concerned about your safety (as I am) with a significant steering problem... Everyone's voice matters, share the link!

Link to petition:
https://www.change.org/p/toyota-mot...eviously-addressed-in-prior-service-bulletins

#2 ·
I am petitioning Toyota and the NHTSA for to open an investigation regarding this steering wheel "click/popping" problem, and hopefully force Toyota to issue a safety recall to have it repaired. My car was under 60k miles when the problem began and I have replaced the intermediate shaft per the TSB, but now the problem has returned and I'm being told (at 75K miles) that my rack-and-pinion is bad. My car exhibits now signs of a bad rack and pinion, just the click/pop at low speeds or idle when slightly turning L/R. It is almost unheard of to replace a rack-and-pinion in any car under 150k+ miles. Please sign if you are fed up with this issue and truly concerned about your safety (as I am) with a significant steering problem... Everyone's voice matters, share the link!

Link to petition:
https://www.change.org/p/toyota-mot...eviously-addressed-in-prior-service-bulletins
I appreciate your effort, but your petition doesn't have a prayer UNLESS you can prove that the steering clunk is a safety problem and could cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle and crash. Unfortunately, NHTSA doesn't usually act until people get seriously injured or killed in crashes.

#3 ·
Exactly. It must be a safety problem, not just an annoyance or financial inconvenience.

And from what I am seeing here, all it really needs is some additional lube. I bet your steering rack is just fine (you can tell how much faith I have in dealerships).

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.