Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Gas pedal recall...different feeling now

5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  130305 
#1 ·
I finally had the gas pedal recall done on my wife's 2009 Sport.
The clipping off of the bottom 1/2 inch doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is the "bar" they added to give it more resistance and pop back up. I don't drive it much, but it bugs me how much pressure it takes to maintain a constant speed.....seems to get tiring after a while. I don't like the added resistance the pedal has now.

Anyone feel the same?
I haven't looked yet, but is there some way I can remove this "bar" that was added?

#2 ·
Jim, your 2009 must be Canadian built, with the CTS pedal. My 2008 Japan-built has a Denso pedal, and all they did was shave a bit off the bottom, no bar or change in tension/resistance. You can always order a new redesigned pedal from a dealer's parts department. Last time I checked they were about $100 and easy to install. Just 2 bolts and plug it in.

#3 ·
I refused the recall since I like ours just the way it is. And more importantly it's the wife's car and she does too. Hates to have to adapt to totally unnecessary change.

#4 ·
And with my '11 V6 it appears that the major gas pedal change involved moulding a projection onto the back, presumably to keep the pedal elevated away from possible interference with the OEM floor mat. I removed the floor mats when I installed WeatherTech floor liners and have been debating whether to cut off the gas pedal projection if it would interfere with WOT operation. But with the V6 I rarely need to use WOT anyway . . .!:D

#8 ·
The "bar" is a thin metal shim which is inserted into the mechanism to prevent the pedal from sticking. My father had it done on his 2009 Corolla, but there was no difference in pedal feel. I'd bring it back to the dealership and tell them the pedal is more difficult to depress now.

G
#10 ·
I have a 2011 rav4 4 cyl base and I have the same weak peddle tension. I solved the problem by attaching a small bungy cord wrapped around the peddle, out of the way of your foot, and the other end hooked up under the dash to the closest convenient medal hole. You can adjust the tension to the weight that you want. Now my rav is a pleasure to drive and a lot safer. I almost sold it because of the peddle. Some people would say that adding the chord would create a safety problem, which I don't see that. Before it definitely was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.