Recall: Rusting of muffler, exhaust system for V6 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Recall

Find out about the history of your next vehicle and learn how to track the history of your current vehicle.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Recall: Rusting of muffler, exhaust system for V6

Hi, anyone in Canada got a recall for perforation of exhaust system from rust for V6? (roughly the description)
I just got a letter today, saying recall is only for limited period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmak View Post
Hi, anyone in Canada got a recall for perforation of exhaust system from rust for V6? (roughly the description)
I just got a letter today, saying recall is only for limited period.
There is already an active thread on this subject.

New Recall 2006-2008 V6 Models (Exhaust System)

Rick L Ontario Canada
2008 Silver RAV4 Limited V6 4WD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Exhaust Muffler Part# 17404-0P022 List Price $1206.45

I'm in Connecticut and I just heard an exhaust leak on my 2007 Rav4 V6 Sport with only 47 K miles, and I also could smell something cooking? Upon inspection I found a rotted out 2" hole on the top side rear of the muffler! I took some 18 gauge Aluminum flashing and some muffler patch, rapped it and riveted it as a temporary fix to avoid hot exhaust from burning and possibly entering the underside of the car until I could get it resolved. I contacted a dealer (Dowling Toyota, Bantam CT, they have done all the numerous recalls including replacing the stereo at 25K miles and that one went bad also 14 months later!! I also have the "Steering Clunk" and I'm wondering when the water pump might go?) Their reply "It's NOT covered"!
So I tried another local dealer (Greentree Toyota, Danbury, CT) and they told me to bring it in for an inspection. When I got there they informed me it would be $110 to inspect it. I informed him about another Rav4 muffler failure and the reply from Toyota: President USA Toyota, Torrance, CA President Toyota Manufacturing Corp, Tokyo, Japan Resolution: About a month later I got a call from the Torrance office. They said they were very sorry for the mix-up, but that this failure is supposed to have been covered under the emission control warranty since the muffler is directly connected to the catalytic converter without any flange between. The emission control warranty continues for 8 years or 80,000 miles. They said they would provide me with a new exhaust system at no charge. I am a Mechanic for Kimberly Clark Corporation for 25 years and I'm also a professional welder/fabricator and I perform all of my own maintenance. I informed the service rep of this and I told him exactly what was wrong (Not Rocket Science!) but he did not want to hear it!! I declined because there was no guarantee that they would fix it under the 8 Year/ 80,000 mile Emission control warranty! WHAT IS GOING ON WITH TOYOTA? Are they interested in going down the tubes? Does customer satisfaction mean anything to them anymore?

There are many that say it can't be done, and there are those that are doing it !

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angry Toyota wants $1500 to replace

I have a 2006 RAV4 V6 with 73K miles. Driven in Michigan.

During routine maintenance at the dealer, they found the muffler hole. Because the catalytic converter is attached to the muffler assembly, (PN 17404-0P022), they want $1200 for the part and $300 in labor. Dealer says emission warranty has timed out as the car is 10 years old.

Who the hell designs a common replacement part (muffler) with a never-needs-repair component (catalytic converter) attached? Robbery!

Any suggestions would be appreciated to [email protected]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Pretty simple.........you don't need 100% OEM Toyota parts for an exhaust system. Heard of Midas? Have them cut out the offending part and weld a new one in. How many muffler shops are within an hour drive of you? That's how many places there are that can fix it for $250 give or take a few bucks.

2008 Base V-6 (Hers)
2008 Limited V-6 (His)
Tow Prep & front wheel drive (both)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Garage
Who goes to a dealer for such work? Have an exhaust shop cut out the muffler and weld in a new one leaving the cat in place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page