Petition for Intermediate Shaft Recall - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Recall

Find out about the history of your next vehicle and learn how to track the history of your current vehicle.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Petition for Intermediate Shaft Recall

I am petitioning Toyota and the NHTSA for to open an investigation regarding this steering wheel "click/popping" problem, and hopefully force Toyota to issue a safety recall to have it repaired. My car was under 60k miles when the problem began and I have replaced the intermediate shaft per the TSB, but now the problem has returned and I'm being told (at 75K miles) that my rack-and-pinion is bad. My car exhibits now signs of a bad rack and pinion, just the click/pop at low speeds or idle when slightly turning L/R. It is almost unheard of to replace a rack-and-pinion in any car under 150k+ miles. Please sign if you are fed up with this issue and truly concerned about your safety (as I am) with a significant steering problem... Everyone's voice matters, share the link!

Link to petition:
https://www.change.org/p/toyota-moto...vice-bulletins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,796 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Alley View Post
I am petitioning Toyota and the NHTSA for to open an investigation regarding this steering wheel "click/popping" problem, and hopefully force Toyota to issue a safety recall to have it repaired. My car was under 60k miles when the problem began and I have replaced the intermediate shaft per the TSB, but now the problem has returned and I'm being told (at 75K miles) that my rack-and-pinion is bad. My car exhibits now signs of a bad rack and pinion, just the click/pop at low speeds or idle when slightly turning L/R. It is almost unheard of to replace a rack-and-pinion in any car under 150k+ miles. Please sign if you are fed up with this issue and truly concerned about your safety (as I am) with a significant steering problem... Everyone's voice matters, share the link!

Link to petition:
https://www.change.org/p/toyota-moto...vice-bulletins
I appreciate your effort, but your petition doesn't have a prayer UNLESS you can prove that the steering clunk is a safety problem and could cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle and crash. Unfortunately, NHTSA doesn't usually act until people get seriously injured or killed in crashes.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
I appreciate your effort, but your petition doesn't have a prayer UNLESS you can prove that the steering clunk is a safety problem and could cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle and crash. Unfortunately, NHTSA doesn't usually act until people get seriously injured or killed in crashes.
Exactly. It must be a safety problem, not just an annoyance or financial inconvenience.

And from what I am seeing here, all it really needs is some additional lube. I bet your steering rack is just fine (you can tell how much faith I have in dealerships).

~Steve in Minnesota
08 Base V6 AWD Silver

"By day two of our four-day drive, no one knew which vehicles would finish in second through eighth places. Yet everyone knew where the Toyota [RAV4] would finish." - Car and Driver SUV comparison test, January 2010

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I agree with James and Steve. About the only way to get it considered is to submit a complaint through the NHTSA - https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

What other vehicle gets +25mpg hwy, tows 3500lbs and 0-60 in just over 6 sec? Tough to beat the RAV4!
His 2007 Toy RAV4 Limited V6, 2WD, JBL, Sunroof, 255/60-17 on 17x8's, Pacific Blue Metallic, aFe Filter, Husky Liners
Her 2004 Toy Sienna Limited V6, 2WD, Leather, Sunroof, Cooper CS4's, Arctic Frost Pearl, Weathertech Liners
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Toyota is already busy for other issues like the oil consumption of 2.4L(2AZFE) engines.

Just fix with some lube oil by yourself within 5 minutes
and enjoy your life.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4...ml#post1163074

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4...ml#post1467793
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page