2GR-FEV6 LSC90K (recall) oil line fails-Dealer won't cover damages - WARNING - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Recall

Find out about the history of your next vehicle and learn how to track the history of your current vehicle.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,796 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonanoo View Post
I'm looking at an 07 v6 tomorrow. Where is this "problem" oil line located under the hood? I want to see if it has been replaced or not. I know I can't rely on the dealer to tell me. Thank you. Boo
Look at the photos above. See the gray cap with the "H"? That's the high pressure fitting for the A/C system. The oil tube is just to the right of that. There will be a black plastic cover over the engine with a V6 emblem, but if you look down at the corner on the passenger side you can see it.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Look at the photos above. See the gray cap with the "H"? That's the high pressure fitting for the A/C system. The oil tube is just to the right of that. There will be a black plastic cover over the engine with a V6 emblem, but if you look down at the corner on the passenger side you can see it.
Thank you, June Bug. I'm off to check out the '07. Thanks again.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Does anyone have a comparison pic showing the "old" defective design vs the "new" vvti oil line (still with the rubber section) that was used under the Limited Service Campaign (LSC)?

I've heard the rubber hose used is different (I'm wondering if there are visible markings on the hose), and I've also heard that the clamps that hold the hose onto the metal pipe portions were redesigned. I just would like to see with my own eyes.

Also, has anyone experienced their limited service campaign replacement vvti oil line fail?

I have an 07 that has the limited service campaign revised part, still with rubber section. Just debating if I should go the all metal route...

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRAV View Post
Does anyone have a comparison pic showing the "old" defective design vs the "new" vvti oil line (still with the rubber section) that was used under the Limited Service Campaign (LSC)?

{snip}
I have an 07 that has the limited service campaign revised part, still with rubber section. Just debating if I should go the all metal route...
You would seem to be in a good position to post a picture or two of the revised pipe with the rubber section. When you do that, people will be able to contrast the pictures with the ones that have already been posted.

2009 V6 4wd Base
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRAV View Post

I've heard the rubber hose used is different (I'm wondering if there are visible markings on the hose), and I've also heard that the clamps that hold the hose onto the metal pipe portions were redesigned. I just would like to see with my own eyes.
This was reported by Vee6er:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee6er ver2.0 View Post
I had my hose replaced under the Canadian campaign yesterday. After the hose got replaced a took a look at it and looking at its cross section it seems like its layered where the inner layer is greyish silicone like while the exterior is black rubber. Anyway its just an observation.
And KMonster posted this picture. The new rubber line has a yellow stripe:

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM

Thanks to those that replied.

I haven't had time to check mine, but here is what I found:

Oil pressure hose failed - Page 4 - Club Lexus Forums

See post #51 at the link above. Good pic of the defective oil line. Visually the rubber looks fatigued (bulgy) and the clamp is cutting into the rubber.

That poster notes that the defective rubber is denoted by "AT OIL ACM" markings, while the LSC replacement is denoted by markings on the rubber showing "KK20 OIL ACM FKM".

I'll have to see what mine says...
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Owner liked your Idea Junebug and wrote letter. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Paul, you're wasting your time talking to the service manager and sending him e-mails. He probably deleted your email before he finished reading it, IF he read it at all!

The owner needs to write a proper LETTER, and send it USPS mail with return receipt requested to the dealership's OWNER and/or GENERAL MANAGER. Also send a copy to TOYOTA also with return receipt. This will be noticed, fall into the right hands and be passed around to others. Keep the letter short and sweet, to the point, no more than 1 page if you can, and a brief mention of the possible involvement of an attorney won't hurt. We have the notice in writing that the repair should be covered up to March 2013 and lawyers just LOVE it when you have it in writing.

I sure am glad mine came with the metal oil line!
The letter you suggested can now be found on

https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

as footnote [C] but without her name or address and with the last four VIN digits X'd out.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul3637 View Post
The letter you suggested can now be found on

https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

as footnote [C] but without her name or address and with the last four VIN digits X'd out.
That's a nicely written letter! Hopefully it will get the attention of the right person.

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
<Eyeballs the new Subaru in the driveway>

I can deal with my current ECM flash issues rather than this crap any day.

2007 RAV4 V-6 Limited 51k miles - TRADED
2011 Subaru Forester Premium - Bought Sept 2011
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 PM

I was interested to know the technical explanation behind the VVTi oil line failure. Here is an excerpt from Toyota Canada's response:

"Toyota has determined that on affected vehicles, the rubber portion of the engine oil supply hose for the VVT-I actuator on the cylinder head may develop a small crack due to the use of improper rubber material. These cracks can develop inside the oil hose from exposure to small amounts of corrosive components in positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) gases. If the vehicle is continuously operated in this condition, the crack in the hose may expand as a result of the oil pressure and engine oil may leak from the oil hose which can eventually cause damage to the vehicles engine."

I don't see why the new and properly designed hose (using the proper rubber) would give any problems. I agree, the metal hose is probably a fool proof solution, but having said that, there are many rubber hoses used in all makes and models of vehicles on the road today without issue. In this particular instance, some Toyota engineer/supplier/ or whomever spec'd the wrong type of rubber for the job....leading to a costly mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page