2GR-FEV6 LSC90K (recall) oil line fails-Dealer won't cover damages - WARNING - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Recall

Find out about the history of your next vehicle and learn how to track the history of your current vehicle.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:37 AM
KTL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I'm not surprised that Arlington Toyota is the dealer that refused to do anything because that's how they were when I brought up the issue of the proper transmission replacement due to the whine. The service manager, Steve, is an a-hole, while the service rep tried to do his best to help me out.

Anyway, good information, will have to keep an eye out on the hose since it had be replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRAV View Post
I was interested to know the technical explanation behind the VVTi oil line failure. Here is an excerpt from Toyota Canada's response:

"Toyota has determined that on affected vehicles, the rubber portion of the engine oil supply hose for the VVT-I actuator on the cylinder head may develop a small crack due to the use of improper rubber material. These cracks can develop inside the oil hose from exposure to small amounts of corrosive components in positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) gases. If the vehicle is continuously operated in this condition, the crack in the hose may expand as a result of the oil pressure and engine oil may leak from the oil hose which can eventually cause damage to the vehicles engine."

I don't see why the new and properly designed hose (using the proper rubber) would give any problems. I agree, the metal hose is probably a fool proof solution, but having said that, there are many rubber hoses used in all makes and models of vehicles on the road today without issue. In this particular instance, some Toyota engineer/supplier/ or whomever spec'd the wrong type of rubber for the job....leading to a costly mistake.
I speculated back in the original oil line thread couple of years ago that the AT OIL on the old hose is for ATF fluid and not good enough for engine oil contaminated with gasoline and combustion byproducts.

While the new hose should be better, metal is the best.

I would not be surprised if some people got the hose repaired with old hose design, especially prior to the recall.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Update: Great response from President of Arlington Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
That's a nicely written letter! Hopefully it will get the attention of the right person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
I'm not surprised that Arlington Toyota is the dealer that refused to do anything because that's how they were when I brought up the issue of the proper transmission replacement due to the whine. The service manager, Steve, is an a-hole, while the service rep tried to do his best to help me out.

Anyway, good information, will have to keep an eye out on the hose since it had be replaced.
Within about an hour after the letter was sent by email, the dealer president emailed the owner back with a fantastic response indicating the oil line failure would be thoroughly investigated and that a case for out of warranty repair had been established with Toyota Motor Sales, Inc.

Shortly thereafter, service director Steve sends her an email telling her to bring the car in and they would work with Toyota on her behalf. Vehicle was towed back in on January 18 so now it's up to Toyota. Repairs were approved by Toyota as of 1-23-2012; now only open issue is the refund of the original $700 charge for repairs and the bills for towing.

Last edited by Paul3637; 01-25-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Toyota has approved repairs

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,797 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul3637 View Post
Within about an hour after the letter was sent by email, the dealer president emailed the owner back with a fantastic response indicating the oil line failure would be thoroughly investigated and that a case for out of warranty repair had been established with Toyota Motor Sales, Inc.

Shortly thereafter, service director Steve sends her an email telling her to bring the car in and they would work with Toyota on her behalf. Vehicle was towed back in on January 18 so now it's up to Toyota.
Wow, that's awesome! I really hope they do the right thing this time!

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Sure, but it only applies to the V-6 engine:

Old setup with metal/rubber line:

New setup with all metal line:

Great pics, I was un aware of this issue. Does anyone know what's the part# for the metal pipe line. I'd like to tackle this myself.
Thnx in advance.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr5Vr6Rav4 View Post
Great pics, I was un aware of this issue. Does anyone know what's the part# for the metal pipe line. I'd like to tackle this myself.
Thnx in advance.
That info is mixed into the giant thread on the topic:
https://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...r=asc&&start=1

This is guide to a subset some of the posts on the long thread. See these posts on that thread, and then take a look at your car:

Post 23 has a TSB for the Avilon with the same engine. That technical service bulletin is not a recall, but identifies a spot to check when looking for an engine oil leak. In the event of a leak, it does not specify that the replacement part differs from the original. https://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...=asc&&start=22

Page 4 Post #50 shows the older rubber oil hose https://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...=asc&&start=49

Page 3 Post #36 shows the new hose with engine cover off, and Post 39 show newer metal tube with cover still in place. https://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...=asc&&start=35

Page 5 Post: #82 says the new part is "installed in all of the RAV4s Limited V6s on 04/2008 and later is metal and the part number is 15772-31030. That date would seem to apply to build dates ofq Base and Sport too, based on later posts.

Page 9 Post: #134 has good info including a nice parts comparison out of the car. https://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...asc&&start=133

Post #336 endorses post 134 and adds some tips for doing the change.

15772-31030 is the all metal tube. Post #82 was first with that number. It was confirmed in other postings including #228. Post 82 stated # 15707-31030 is a part number with the rubber connection. Some posts have stated that # 15707-31030 will be installed when repairing earlier vehicles. RPM, confirmed by Xairmech, states that the upper banjo gaskets P/N is 90430-16012, 2 are required . The lower one piece gasket P/N is 90430-16016. RUV4 in post #317 pointed out that you can use a second one piece lower gasket (PN 90430-16016) on top instead of the two 90430-16012 gaskets.

Page 26 Post #380 posts "Limited Service Campaign to replace the VVT-i oil hose on certain 05-06 Avalons and 06 RAV4s with one that also has a rubber section.
Page 26 Post #382 posts a link to a PDF about that campaign.

04009-33131 is the kit to replace the rubber section with a better rubber section. It includes the improved rubber section and new clips. It appeared in the 2006 Limited Service Campaign document, a link to which was posted to the big thread in post 382 and post 388 quoted that number and the other text from the document. https://www.rav4world.com/forums/view...0014&start=381 The document also had information to apply for reimbursement for those who " have previously paid for the replacement of this VVT-i oil hose for this specific condition".

2009 V6 4wd Base
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you Carbon.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
End of this Rav4 story is great. But there is another one

After appealing to the President of Arlington Toyota with positive response, Toyota picked up the tab for all repairs which essentially amounted to a new engine. Parts replaced include new short block, cam assembly, gear assembly, & water pump. Arlington is also throwing in some brake work as a goodwill gesture.

A new case just like this one just arose on a 2008 Highlander a few days ago. Fortunatelly, the owner took pictures before his vehicle was towed to the dealer. It is very obvious the recall service was not performed as despite what the service receipt said.

Warning! 2008 highlander oil leak - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Thanks JuneBug (& KMonster) for posting the picture that showed the yellow line on the correct LSC 90K part. Now the rest of us can tell if the recall was done correctly, if at all. The above noted 2008 Hihglander clearly did not have the correct part. Thank goodness mine was done correctly - it was so easy to snap the picture of mine

http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/s...LineLSC90K.jpg

Last edited by Paul3637; 02-08-2012 at 02:35 PM.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,797 Posts
Garage
Great work Paul! I think the original owner is very grateful that you went to bat for her on this case. Let's hope Arlington Toyota learns a valuable lesson from all this.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey June Bug...I got sick of looking at bad used Ravs. Bit the bullet and bought a 2011 leftover. It's a V6 Sport in Grey with Fwd. I figured spend the extra $ and not get into someone else's problems. Had it a week or so....I notice a slight tick in the motor...maybe it's normal for these V6's. Sounds like a lifter to me though. Hoping it turns out to be nothing. My friend has an FJ Cruiser with a similar tick. He's a mechanic and says he's not too worried because some other FJ's sound the same. Thank you for helping me in the beginning. Glad to be a Rav owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page