Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New Recall on the Way

10K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  RTexasF 
#1 ·
I brought my car in for some recalls and some maintenance and the tech notified me there is a recall coming. Which year models I'm not sure but I have a 2008. The summary "more or less" is:

The lower rear arm bolt (not sure which one... maybe all?) on the suspension is not tightened properly. Toyota is currently working on a remedy.

Why they don't just loosen and re-tighten I'm not sure. Maybe there could be some damage caused by loose bolts that may require a replacement of the lower arm?

#2 ·
The lower rear arm bolt (not sure which one... maybe all?) on the suspension is not tightened properly. Toyota is currently working on a remedy.

Why they don't just loosen and re-tighten I'm not sure. Maybe there could be some damage caused by loose bolts that may require a replacement of the lower arm?
I read that, too. I'm sure carbon has as well.

I'd be surprised if they are not already using crush-thread fasteners where appropriate, but perhaps that is the issue.

#8 ·

Attachments

#12 ·
It seems the letters have gone out in Canada, but not in the USA. Or it could be our postal system. :(

#13 ·
Could it be that as the recall is for rusting components with the rust risk being theoretically increased in Canada because of generally colder weather and snow in winter than in the U.S., with anti-snow and ice chemicals possibly being used more in Canada? And so are Canadian RAVS being recalled first, with the required parts not being widely available yet in the U.S?

#14 ·
The letter being sent to Canadian owners is titled "Pre Notification". It says the letter is being sent in accordance with the requirements of the "Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act"

The letter describes the reason for the recall (improper torque of fasteners) and says that Toyota is preparing the campaign remedy parts, and they will notify me again when they become available.

The last time I received a "Pre Notification" was regarding the curtain air bags. I remember that I had to wait at least 8 months before the actual recall letter was received.

It may be that the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act requires this early notice, while in the US, you just get the recall notice and you can bring your vehicles in immediately.

#15 ·
The letter being sent to Canadian owners is titled "Pre Notification". It says the letter is being sent in accordance with the requirements of the "Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act"

The letter describes the reason for the recall (improper torque of fasteners) and says that Toyota is preparing the campaign remedy parts, and they will notify me again when they become available.

The last time I received a "Pre Notification" was regarding the curtain air bags. I remember that I had to wait at least 8 months before the actual recall letter was received.

It may be that the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act requires this early notice, while in the US, you just get the recall notice and you can bring your vehicles in immediately.
not quite. I too received a letter that informed me of the potential hazard that has been identified...so on and so on. Essentially the letter sent a very similar message as the Canadian Pre-Notification letter, but worded slightly different. I think we all (Canada and US) are in the same boat with regards to the soon to be recalled lower arm... we just need to wait a long ass time before the actual letter with the remedy to be sent to us..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.