Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Tow hitch

156K views 343 replies 100 participants last post by  eefor 
#1 ·
Looking for a tow hitch for my 2019 RAV4--so far no luck.

U-Haul told me to bring the car to their fabrication center in Tempe, AZ and they could design, fabricate and install a tow hitch. The car is in Honolulu so I'm putting that one on the back burner.

#50 · (Edited)
Yeah, I saw that. I am just a bit skeptical because the local dealers and the US Toyota website do not have the same information. Unless I missed something, I did not see anything that confirmed on those links that it is for a 2019 RAV4. I'm dropping my RAV4 off for running board installation tomorrow, so I'll be asking about the latest on the hitch then.

#51 ·
So, I heard back from Toyota US. I had sent them asking about availability and confirming the part numbers provided above. Here is what I got back:

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. We appreciate your inquiry, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond.

We apologize as information on the availability of the Toyota tow hitch for the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid is currently unavailable. We currently do not have a tentative release date.

We have researched and confirmed part number PK5D0-42K10-WH is correct for the wiring harness.

Non-Toyota parts, or any damage or failures resulting from their use, are not covered by any Toyota warranty.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us."
So, they somehow can confirm the wiring harness part number but not the hitch part number. And they would not commit to a timeframe for availability.

#61 · (Edited)
Breaking news for the States (I'm here in PA). I had e-mailed a senior manager at my dealership the two part numbers from BAM noted above and complained that I was about to make my first payment for the loan that includes the cost of the hitch. My dealer still has a "we owe you" for the hitch from time of sale. They ordered those parts to "check and see" and they are in. They confirmed they are good to go today. So, I am dropping my vehicle off tonight for installation of the Toyota OEM hitch tomorrow. They did mention there is a third part number that came up as required - it's the hardware packet. I'm not sure of that number yet but if I find out what it is, I'll post it here.

#63 ·
Thank you for posting the part numbers. I would be very interested in seeing the hitch & harness installation instructions once they become available. This looks like a nice hitch & appears to be a bit higher than even the Ecohitch. I am thinking to get one, but would prefer to install it myself if the installation isn't too difficult.

#66 ·
Got my XLE Hybrid back today with the Toyota hitch and harness. It somehow took them 4+ hours of actual effort to install. I honestly think the dealer could have done a cleaner cut job; I'm on the fence about it and will probably just re-do the edge trim pieces cleaner myself. Unless you are staring right at it inches away, it looks great. It looks better to me than after-market; they always look like an after-thought turd hanging under the bumper. All personal preference, I suppose. But, I can confirm the official Toyota hitch is available in the US with the part numbers noted in a post above.

#67 ·
It looks like you got the wiring harness as well as the trailer hitch. What was the total cost for parts and installation? My local dealer has told me the price of the parts, which was around $300 for the hitch and 150 for the harness, but they had no idea what the installation cost would be. Also, did your vehicle have the hands-free lift gate? If so, does it still work?

#68 ·
Correct, hitch and wiring harness. No, I do not have the hands-free lift gate. Pretty sure they list the parts are not compatible with models with that. Cost to me ... I'll have to double-check. I am pretty sure I made out well. I was owed a hitch from my sales contract. Only after I signed the contract and days later did they tell me it was for after-market. I argued that they did not mention that during drafting and while adding all other OEM accessories to the contract. Pretty sure it was $380 or so was all the line listed on my contract but I'd have to dig that up to double-check. So, I think they ate the labor.

#70 ·
Unfortunately, no.

#72 ·
They might very well have, but my dealer did a bit of a hack job. Could be that I'm suffering from being their first install. I dunno. It doesn't look terrible, but doesn't look fully stealth/clean as you said.

Reactions: at1stpromise
#75 ·
Just an FYI, I contacted the dealer selling the OEM hitch on ebay, Elmhurst Toyota, the hardware kit is included in the price, so that makes it comparable to the cost of the Ecohitch.

#78 ·
An update on my OEM hitch.

Before (Dealer's hack job with multiple trim pieces cut at sloppy angles)

After (A self-install of a single piece of this)
This took about 10 minutes to remove and replace with the new single strip. They could have cut a little closer to the left of the hitch, but otherwise I'm very happy with the OEM Toyota hitch now.

#80 ·
#81 ·
Once it arrives - Can you let us know if instructions are included? I suspect it isn't a very difficult install, but it would be nice to see what is involved for both the hitch & the wiring. It looks like a nice hitch. I am planning to order one soon, but I am on the fence regarding whether I install it or whether I have the dealer install it. I would prefer to do it myself if the install isn't too gnarly as I have more confidence that I will take care.

#88 ·
Does anyone know why the product description says that the OEM hitch is not available for limited models with the hands free liftgate? I assume it’s because the hands free function will not work when a hitch is installed (as described in the owners manual and experienced by some who installed an aftermarket hitch). However, I’m wondering if there’s actually another reason regarding fit or installation. It seems odd that they would say the hitch is not available for my vehicle rather than just saying that the functionality will be lost. Also somewhat dishonest if Toyota gave it a towing rating and then couldn’t supply a compatible hitch.

#91 ·
I took the first shot as square/level as possible. I was in a hurry on lunch break so quickly snapped the pics. I will capture actual measurements later today. But the below should give you a good idea of the hitch height and the chain anchor points (the lowest point of the unit). You can see that it is all above the exhaust tips.

Having taken this low-angle view, I think I am going to re-do my trim so it's around the entire cut.

Reactions: firemanj92
#92 ·
Wow, that was a lot of cutting. It's not noticeable until you see underneath.

I just watched the rear-end crash test video that was posted elsewhere on this forum. I wonder if a hitch higher up like your would change/improve the results?

Thanks for the pictures

Reactions: BHareDotNet
#93 ·
Haha.... yeah, there is definitely a lot of cutting to do to get the OEM hitch in.

#97 ·
The CURT hitch I have which just touches the underside of the plastic bumper, has the ground clearance at 9" on mine. I wish it was higher like the recent posts, but I'll have to make due with a height-adjusting ball-mount. (I've heard that hitch height is measured at the top of the hitch, so the CURT would be 11".)

#101 · (Edited)

The 1st pic is the cut out laid out flat, the 2nd pic is an angle as you are facing the rear bumper. Both with center lines drawn. It's roughly 6" x 8" double rectangle. The dotted line gets aligned with the leading edge of the underside of the bumper-not just to the angle where the tape ends (what you visually see). I used a 3/4" step-bit drill for the corners then a jig saw for the straight cuts. If I had a larger drill bit I would use it in the corners for a bigger arch-the 3/4 size is hard to bend the weatherstrip into. Also I would shift the whole left side (as you are facing the bumper) to the right a 1/4-1/2" over. The template leaves a slightly larger gap (1/4-1/2") around receiver hole as @BHareDotNet has posted with his pics.

There are 18 pages of instructions of which 15 are used. It took approx 2 hrs start to finish including clean my tools. I suspect this is longer than the stealership does it in, but I also applied anti-seize to every bolt. There are 8 short bolts with washers that are applied to the body/frame of car and 4 longer bolts/washers/nuts for the hitch itself. No room to torque (66ft lbs) the bolts on the right side (as you are facing the bumper). The tools needed 19mm, 17mm, 14mm, 10mm socket, ratcheting wrenches, & phillips screw driver are needed just for installing. You also need drill bit(s), a cutting tool of course for bumper skin and metal cutters/snips for the weatherstrip/trim.

#102 ·
Thank you for posting. I am going to order this & likely the wiring kit also - likely Monday. I like that it comes with detailed instructions. That is odd that the template specifies an off-center hole. I assume that it is the hole & not the hitch that isn't centered? Is the extra space perhaps necessary to fit it in during the installation? Hopefully the wiring kit comes with good instructions also. This forum is useful & this thread has been very helpful towards comparing hitches. I like this hitch best due to its higher positioning.

#103 ·
I think every car is slightly different, the kit includes two 1mm shims for the receiver-some may use them, some may not need them. A 1/4 inch variance is really not a big deal, just shift the L-side upper cut inward a little. My drill bit could have drifted a little causing a little variance too, which will effect end result or my saw blade may have been thicker than what others use. Also keep in mind, the template is pretty accurate and gives a corrective scale to calibrate one's measuring device but most importantly the bumper is not a flat surface. I measured with but bumper off, so it too may have flexed in/out when I made my cuts and measures. Just remember to measure multiple times. :)

#106 ·
Just in case anyone is ordering from BAM, I got an email from them telling me that I left something in my cart.

Further down the email, they said "Save 20% on shipping using promo code MINUS20"

I understand the the save5 and save10 codes could save more, but heavy items like tow hitches could benefit with a 20% discount.

Thought I'd share.

#109 ·
I am thinking about getting a trailer hitch. I have never owned one so its somewhat new to me. It appears that the OEM hitch has more points/bolts where it connects to the vehicle than aftermarket hitches. Logic tells me that this is beneficial. Also, the extra height of the OEM hitch may help out going over uneven pavement, such as a boat launch. Am I correct with my assumptions? Too bad using the OEM hitch does raise the tow limit a little.

Thanks in advance,

#110 · (Edited)
It appears that aftermarket receivers are one piece but the OE is bolted together-using all the undermount mounting points. The real advantage of OEM is the ground clearance and appearance and you are removing the inner bumper structure (since the hitch replaces it) thus reducing weight. I also thought the OE price was fair/comparable to aftermarket with the discounts given.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.