Spare Tire Wheel Well won't fit full size tire - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley5781 View Post
I am not really surprised about the lack of room for a rear spare. I really dont consider the RAV4 as a true off road vehicle despite the marketing story.

For example, its AWD not 4x4 and there is a difference. It will be interesting to see how well it does off road but lets not get too excited in terms of its capabilities. Let's face the sad reality, very few owners of SUV and even fewer owners of CUVs use them off road.

I plan to buy a hybrid AWD in 2020 after the bugs are worked out and it has Android Auto. I do have a 1995 Land Cruiser and a Tundra 4x4 for serious off roading . The Rav will just be extra performance on dirt / mud roads and snow.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
I'm in the exact same boat as you. Waiting on an HV Limited with hopefully Android Auto.

But like you said, the Rav4 is no true off roader. I'm mostly getting it for slick conditions and traction on snowy roads. I may take it on a maintained dirt trail but I do not plan to take it on ungroomed paths, unless it's snow on a paved street. Not to mention the HV has the AWD-i system, which is something I probably don't want to push.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Well that sucks. Didn’t even think to look at that.

On a road trip the trunk would be packed along with the interior. Where is the full size wheel and tire supposed to go then? Strap it to the roof I supposed or leave it on the side of the road and come back for it later lol?
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Toyota is now marketing a 2020 TRD Offroad RAV4. https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/rav4TRD/
It “will be outfitted with a full array of special Toyota Racing Development engineering and design features for greater trail-driving capability and standout style.” “The 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road goes above and beyond with suspension, wheels and tires engineered specifically for trail driving.” https://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota....+treatment.htm
HAHAHA. They are going down a rabbit hole unless they fix the spare tire issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyotommy For This Useful Post:
Riley5781 (02-26-2019)

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotommy View Post
Toyota is now marketing a 2020 TRD Offroad RAV4. https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/rav4TRD/
It “will be outfitted with a full array of special Toyota Racing Development engineering and design features for greater trail-driving capability and standout style.” “The 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road goes above and beyond with suspension, wheels and tires engineered specifically for trail driving.” https://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota....+treatment.htm
HAHAHA. They are going down a rabbit hole unless they fix the spare tire issue.
Yeah... that's some marketing guys that spend time at a desk, not off roading.

I dislike the TRD bits on my Tundra. Just a bunch of hype.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Thanked 1,063 Times in 883 Posts
Garage
The '19 Rav isn't the only "off road" touted new SUV, the '19 Honda Passport is being pushed as being very capable as well, but it has a compact spare and I found no reference to an optional full size being available or fitting in the under deck storage.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
If I can make a deal this fall, I will be trading in my Adventure for a 2020 Tacoma TRD OR in cement color. The truck just works much better for me than the RAV4. Won’t have to worry about where to put that full size spare Plus have power, true off road capabilities, towing, hauling, can modify to my hearts content because of so much after market “stuff” plus I’ll get my console gun vault (which as many of you know can be used for a lot more than a firearm) We will still have our 2015 XLE, but selling the Tundra.

2015 XLE AWD-Hot Lava
STEPPENWOLF https://youtu.be/A-7uwshsfFI
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I was at a dealer today and looked at the wheel well without taking out the spare. I measured a non-spare tire and compared it to the well. The diameter may be ok but the height (thickness) of the full size tire is very close to the available space under the deck. The rubber spacers attached to the underside of the deck which rest on the spare tire would also have to be removed to fit a full size spare. I guess it will take a real live owner who is looking to do the same to report back results. Thanks in advance to that person.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotommy View Post
I was at a dealer today and looked at the wheel well without taking out the spare. I measured a non-spare tire and compared it to the well. The diameter may be ok but the height (thickness) of the full size tire is very close to the available space under the deck. The rubber spacers attached to the underside of the deck which rest on the spare tire would also have to be removed to fit a full size spare. I guess it will take a real live owner who is looking to do the same to report back results. Thanks in advance to that person.
I haven't sold my take off tires yet, I'll see how an unmounted 19" OEM tire will fit in the spare well tomorrow.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
The dismounted 235/55R19 tire will fit, but it's a little too tall at the front for the deck board to fit flush, rear of the deck board fits flush as it normally would, I'd expect an inflated tire to at least raise the front of the board a big higher even if the black rubber block was removed. Note the spray-on sound deadener in the well.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickdtoo For This Useful Post:
piyoman (03-02-2019)
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, Q. That's good info. Seems that Toyota may not have to do much redesign to the well to fit a full size spare. I hope they're reading this. I believe that once the word gets out they will lose sales especially on their pricey "Adventure" and upcoming "Offroad" models if they don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page