Spare Tire Wheel Well won't fit full size tire - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, Q. That's good info. Seems that Toyota may not have to do much redesign to the well to fit a full size spare. I hope they're reading this. I believe that once the word gets out they will lose sales especially on their pricey "Adventure" and upcoming "Offroad" models if they don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
The dismounted 235/55R19 tire will fit, but it's a little too tall at the front for the deck board to fit flush, rear of the deck board fits flush as it normally would, I'd expect an inflated tire to at least raise the front of the board a big higher even if the black rubber block was removed. Note the spray-on sound deadener in the well.

Unrelated question. I found this plastic part in a bag next to the spare tire. Do you know what that is for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0820.jpg (177.7 KB, 76 views)

2019 RAV4 ADVENTURE (AKA 2020 TRD)
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmb2003 View Post
Unrelated question. I found this plastic part in a bag next to the spare tire. Do you know what that is for?
Looks like a bracket for mounting the front licence plate...

TacoRav

2012 RAV4 4WD V6 loaded Limited with NAV & VIP factory remote start
2001 2.7 L Tacoma reg cab 4X4 manual 5 spd (US model) OME suspension and ARB bumber
2006 DCab Tundra 4X4 TRD Yamaha Special Edition SOLD to buy RAV
The Following User Says Thank You to Tacorav For This Useful Post:
dcmb2003 (03-02-2019)

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I wouldn't try to go to do SERIOUS off roading in my 2017 RAV. Nor would I try it with my 2005 GoldWing trike. I would also not go ocean fishing with a 12 foot canoe. When it rains, I put on a raincoat, not my "water repellent" jacket. Never use a crescent wrench to remove lug nuts.

Use the appropriate tool for the job at hand.

Don't drive intoxicated.
Don't drive intexticated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paperboy For This Useful Post:
hcfd1075 (05-02-2019), Riley5781 (03-02-2019)
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
I wouldn't try to go to do SERIOUS off roading in my 2017 RAV. Nor would I try it with my 2005 GoldWing trike. I would also not go ocean fishing with a 12 foot canoe. When it rains, I put on a raincoat, not my "water repellent" jacket. Never use a crescent wrench to remove lug nuts.

Use the appropriate tool for the job at hand.
I agree and said something similar earlier on this thread.

I did ponder later and sort of felt bad that not everybody can have multiple vehicles and compartmentalize their driving with different vehicles.

What happened to me is that as I aged, I kept some of my older favorite vehicles (ex: 1995 80 series Land Cruiser ). I only insure in the spring for some fun in the mountains.

When younger, I could only have 1 car. I suspect one could have a lot of fun with an AWD Rav.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
where do you want to mount this bracket?

Souza>: D
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have had a full size spare hanging off the back of my Landcruiser for 10 years and never used it once, and that was doing way more hardcore off-roading than I ever will in a rav4. I definitely intend to get my rav off road, so I’ll be upgrading the tires to a more durable model. If you really want peace of mind get e rated tires, they would be very hard to puncture on a light vehicle like a rav. Could also have a fab shop like stellarbuilt make a rear off-road bumper with spare tire swing out. Worst case scenario I’ll limp out of the woods on the donut!
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I gave this a try today with my oem tires (235/55R19) since I haven’t got rid of them yet. I’m positive the trunk will fit a full size spare if you remove the black rubber square and styrofoam that sits under the regular spare. The black square is stuck on with a thin adhesive layer and styrofoam isn’t held down at all. I left the square in place for now and the board going over it had only a small amount of lift coming from the front where the tire was being raised by the square.

My new tires are a little fatter than the oem ones at 245/65R17 but I’m considering a full spare and wanted to give it a try with what I have. Too lazy right now to pull an entire wheel off but might give it a shot one of these upcoming weekends.
The Following User Says Thank You to SoRavin For This Useful Post:
Lindenwood (05-16-2019)
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoRavin View Post
I gave this a try today with my oem tires (235/55R19) since I haven’t got rid of them yet. I’m positive the trunk will fit a full size spare if you remove the black rubber square and styrofoam that sits under the regular spare. The black square is stuck on with a thin adhesive layer and styrofoam isn’t held down at all. I left the square in place for now and the board going over it had only a small amount of lift coming from the front where the tire was being raised by the square.

My new tires are a little fatter than the oem ones at 245/65R17 but I’m considering a full spare and wanted to give it a try with what I have. Too lazy right now to pull an entire wheel off but might give it a shot one of these upcoming weekends.
Great info! I am considering running a near-full-sized spare. The tires I have on order are 255/70R16s (30.1"), which sounds a bit too wide for the stock location. But, it also sounds like maybe a taller 215 would fit! I might try to measure today. If nothing else, if I can get within a few percent (29.5" is only 2% shorter), I should be able to use the spare for more-or-less normal driving, rather than having to immediately limp to the nearest repair station.

That said, I have also used exactly one spare in my life, just from running over a big nail in exactly the wrong way.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Anyone know the total diameter of the spare on the Adventure? Is it different from other models, since the stock wheels are 19"? I'm thinking if I replace my stock wheels with 17" wheels and use bigger tires, the diameter would be close to the spare... So, if I get a flat in the middle of nowhere, I can still use the spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page