Adventure Roof Rack - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Adventure Roof Rack

Hey Guys

My new Adventure came with a factory installed roof rack. Thing is, the forward crossbar crosses directly over the skylight / moon roof. I took the forward bar down. And there doesn't appear to be a way to adjust the position of the bar (it doesn't slide). The main rail has threaded inserts for the cross bars. Just wondering if anybody has assembled or disassembled this rack. I was considering swapping sides with the main bars. This would relocate both cross bars further to the rear of the roof. And clear the obstruction from the skylight. But I'm not sure if this is possible? Anybody have any further input.

Thanks
Randy.

2019 Lunar Rock Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Garage
If they're like the crossbars on the other trims, you're SOL, they're fixed, I took mine off and stored them in the garage and installed the covers, looks a lot nicer without the crossbars, and there's less wind noise, there might even be a minuscule gain in fuel economy.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thank you Sir. That’s what I thought too. I was just hoping that someone may have had experience with the assembly of these racks. I can’t see how the rails are fixed to the roof. And I’m not brave enough to start popping covers to gain access. I thought that if the rails are separate from the mounts, you could simply switch sides. Probably not possible though. Could probably install new screw inserts. I’ll have to give it more thought.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm with you on the desire to relocate the cross bars. I have a roof top tent that recommends a min 30" distance between cross bars. Rav4 Adventure cross bars fall short of that by 2-3". The side rails seem to have a continuous metal tube in them that runs almost the full length of the side rail. There looks to be plenty of room to move the cross bars toward the rear. I was thinking about buying one of those Rivet Nut Tools online and drilling/inserting an couple of new threaded inserts further back. Then I could just cap the set I'm not using. Anyone else try this?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp5fuel View Post
I was thinking about buying one of those Rivet Nut Tools online and drilling/inserting an couple of new threaded inserts further back. Then I could just cap the set I'm not using. Anyone else try this?
I was thinking of doing the same thing.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've noticed the Thule Fit Guide does not say they are compatible, but I don't see why you couldn't use Thule 450R Rapid Crossroad Footpacks around your raised adventure rails and would be somewhat adjustable wherever you want them. They are kind of a universal fit in this sense so I don't know why they aren't listed as being compatible. They should. In fact this is what I want to do.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyone have any luck removing the cross rails? I'm planning on getting a full roof rack that runs across the most of the top and it requires their brand's cross rails instead of the the Adventure
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyesvictim View Post
I've noticed the Thule Fit Guide does not say they are compatible, but I don't see why you couldn't use Thule 450R Rapid Crossroad Footpacks around your raised adventure rails and would be somewhat adjustable wherever you want them. They are kind of a universal fit in this sense so I don't know why they aren't listed as being compatible. They should. In fact this is what I want to do.

The rails aren't designed to accommodate any other type of crossbars. Well, I've never seen a rail that looks like mine. They are more decorative than functional.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement