Adventure - OEM Rack with RhinoRack Steel Mesh Platform and Fairing - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Adventure - OEM Rack with RhinoRack Steel Mesh Platform and Fairing

Hey everyone,

New to the Rav4 platform and to the forum. Just purchased our Lunar Rock Adventure from Toyota of North Miami, FL and have been falling more and more in love with it over the past 2 weeks. Planning on turning it into our ultimate weekend warrior platform with everything necessary for going camping, mountain biking, paddleboarding, and eventually tow a small boat.

Prior to this I was driving a Nissan Versa Note and had outfitted it with a full RhinoRack setup for hauling camping gear and paddleboards. Still have the nissan but I moved over my Medium Steel Mesh Platform to the OEM bars. In case anyone else is considering this platform for their car I'll give you some details on my experience with it so far.

As many have already noted the OEM bars are fixed to the rails and do not slide. Unfortunately they are very far forward on the roof with the front bar crossing directly over the moonroof. Despite this, I mounted the platform as far forward as felt right, basically completely covering the moonroof. Because the platform is mesh it isn't the worst obstruction and still allows for plenty of sunlight.

Mounting the rack was a bit of a pain because of the height of the Adventure roof rails. The crossbars do not stand much taller than the rails which means when you place the platform on top, there is very little space to fit your hands/fingers to tighten the mounting hardware. Took a lot of fiddling and countless drops of the washers until I finally had it on tight enough.

The bigger problem is the super loud howling that the platform makes. I then decided to take the wind fairing off my nissan's aero rack and fit it to the front bar of the platform. This isn't really how the fairing is meant to be used, and because of the height of OEM rack + platform, the gap between the roof of the car and the rack is too high to keep the fairing mounts flush to the mesh (see photo below). I ended up getting it positioned nearly perfectly in front of where the moonroof's wind blocker pops up. With the fairing it's now relatively silent and I'm pretty happy with the look of the whole set up.

It's not exactly ideal but I think it'll get the job done. Only concern is the major overhang towards the back of the platform. Have yet to load it up but will report back after my upcoming camping trip when I plan to throw our two inflatable paddleboards and canopy.

Happy to answer any questions or take additional pictures if anyone is interested. Plan on creating a new thread later to share my future plans and track my build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4524.jpg (176.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9905.jpg (173.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9251.jpg (150.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9076.jpg (160.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7786.jpg (149.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4657.jpg (117.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0567.jpg (82.7 KB, 72 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice, looks awesome! I am wanting to get the mesh platform rack for my '16 Rav.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Love it! I'm searching for a similar platform setup for my Adventure. So far I've been disappointed in my options.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Very nice looking.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Looking very nice.. IMO, this is the type of roof rack you want.. The basket ones look like antennas on top of your car.. Did you mount it right on top of the Adventure crossbars? I was looking into getting the aluminum Rhino Pioneer roof rack, but the package also comes with their own branded crossbars. Thanks for letting us know about the wind sound. Now, I have to try and implement the same setup as you to reduce the noise
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
By the way, is that the 60x49 size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page