Fogs - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post
Here's another picture -- a bit more balanced light in this one.
Just got mine installed Saturday and very happy with them. equal strength light top and bottom now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fogs.jpg (101.6 KB, 87 views)

2019 Rav4 XLE Premium AWD, 2015 Rav4 Limited AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to japatar For This Useful Post:
hcfd1075 (03-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Here, go nuts. Nice quality LED’s for just about any bulbs.

https://www.vleds.com/shop-applicati...ights/h11.html
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrfan2000 View Post
Just installed my Toyota LED fog lights
(PT 413-42191) very easy install quick plug and play appearance looks great waiting for sun to go down to get the full effect will post pictures soon.

If any one is interested Iím selling the original halogen fog lights. Message me

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the Toyota LED fogs?

Anxiously awaiting your pics.

post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fogs were $109. I’ll try to get pictures up this week
The Following User Says Thank You to rdrfan2000 For This Useful Post:
hcfd1075 (03-26-2019)
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Has anyone got before and after shots of the actual effect of the fog lights? I get that you want the colours to match when they’re on, but how much effect on lighting is actually happening?
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit View Post
Has anyone got before and after shots of the actual effect of the fog lights? I get that you want the colours to match when theyíre on, but how much effect on lighting is actually happening?

No before and after pictures, but I can tell you that the lighting difference with my ZEVO LED lights was MASSIVE. I have referred to the H16 halogens as having the brightness of "your bathroom nightlight." The LED's absolutely light up the bottom half of your field of vision immensely. I did the same switch with my trade-in, a 2015 Corolla, and if anything, the difference with the RAV4 is even bigger. The fog bulbs are quite a bit higher off the ground in the RAV4, and, again, they just really light up the lower half of your field of vision remarkably. I could not recommend the switch more highly.

2019 RAV4 Limited AWD with Entune 3.0 Premium and Advanced Technology package.
post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post

No before and after pictures, but I can tell you that the lighting difference with my ZEVO LED lights was MASSIVE. I have referred to the H16 halogens as having the brightness of "your bathroom nightlight." The LED's absolutely light up the bottom half of your field of vision immensely. I did the same switch with my trade-in, a 2015 Corolla, and if anything, the difference with the RAV4 is even bigger. The fog bulbs are quite a bit higher off the ground in the RAV4, and, again, they just really light up the lower half of your field of vision remarkably. I could not recommend the switch more highly.
Thanks for the info... looks like this easy little mod is going to be shortlisted.
post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrfan2000 View Post
Fogs were $109. Iíll try to get pictures up this week
If the OEM fogs are $109 and the ZEVO LEDs are $149 (from Amazon.com), wouldn't it be better to just get the OEMs? Do you have to deal with ballasts with the OEM fogs or is just truly plug & play?
post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Why pay so much for LED bulbs?, I bought these from ebay for less than $10 and its an easy swap.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well, here are a few thoughts from my perspective:

Mainly, it's the Wild Wild West out there. Search for "H16 LED Fog Lights" on Amazon, and you'll find dozens of options, with prices starting around $15. Yep -- fifteen bucks. Good luck with that. And while plenty don't have any "lumens" specifications, you can find others that range from soup to nuts. 8,000 lumens for thirty bucks? Yeah, good luck with that. If you're willing to get under your vehicle and plug in whatever you might buy several times, why not go ahead and try some of the cheap things and see what happens?

However, while a lot of these have generally good reviews, most have plenty of bad reviews, too. What really got me was how many of them had reviews saying "these just aren't brighter than the original halogen bulbs." Well, we don't want anything like that, do we?

So, first of all, I wasn't even aware that were such things as "OEM LED fog lights." And I went ahead with the Sylvania ZEVO bulbs because I had personal (and very positive) experience with the ZEVO bulbs. I got mine for $129.99 on Amazon, and I figured it was worth a hundred bucks or so extra to get something I knew was good and bright, rather than taking a chance on whatever I might find on the cheap side on Amazon.

My previous experience with the ZEVO bulbs was on my trade-in, a 2015 Corolla, which had a setup similar to the RAV4: LED headlights with yellow, halogen H16 fog lights. Previously, I had a 2008 Camry, in which the fog bulbs were the same as the headlight low beams -- those were quite good. I had been using aftermarket "white" bulbs for years, and I had replaced all of the OEM bulbs with whatever I was using back then. But I sure wasn't satisfied with the H16 bulbs in the Corolla. I just found the ZEVO bulbs at a local auto supply store, and they turned out to be very good, if a bit on the spendy side.

So, that's my story, for what it's worth. The cheapo bulbs on Amazon might be just fine, or maybe some are good and some are not so good, but it sure looked like it would be difficult to figure out if any bulbs were either brighter or more reliable than any of the others. I expect that all of these bulbs are "more than just bulbs" -- again, the ZEVO bulbs have "ballasts" or something -- I presume they are not actual "ballasts" as such, but something has to convert the car's electric output to LED specifications, so the bulbs are attached to wires that are attached to little rectangular boxes that have some electronics in them, which are attached to wires that you actually plug into the car. They are "plug and play" in that you don't have to do any kind of "wiring" on your car to get them to work, but you do have to think in terms of what to do with those "little rectangular boxes," as opposed to just letting them bounce around as you drive along. As I mentioned, my installer fastened them to the car snugly with some zip ties. I rather expect that stories about "these only lasted a month" or "I have to replace these every year" might have plenty to do with the "little rectangular boxes" not getting fastened in place somehow.

The Amazon listing for the ZEVO bulbs doesn't have a good picture of this, but check out this listing for the Philips X-treme Ultinon bulbs:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07581DB7N..._t3_B01M34ZQ1F

That's basically what I'm talking about. This listing has a picture that shows right off the bat the "little rectangular boxes," which I suppose you could say are roughly the same size as the actual bulbs, that you have to deal with. I expect that any LED bulbs you might buy would look somewhat like the pictures on this listing.

The only reservation I might have with the OEM LED bulbs would be if Toyota might be really conservative with the brightness -- "we don't want to blind anyone here." But, with either no lumens specifications or wild claims for the lumens brightness, I don't know how you could know for sure how bright any given set of bulbs might be, short of installing them and seeing what happens. But, for what it's worth, I hope this helps!

2019 RAV4 Limited AWD with Entune 3.0 Premium and Advanced Technology package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page