OEM Cross Bars and Roof Top Tent - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OEM Cross Bars and Roof Top Tent

Hey all,

I did a little browsing but I haven't quite found an answer to what I'm looking for yet. I just got a 2019 XLE Hybrid 3 weeks ago. It came with the factory cross bars. I'd like to know if anyone has installed a roof top tent on their 2019 Rav4 yet? I know that the OEM cross bars can handle 165lbs which is perfect because my rooftop tent is only 95lbs but I did notice the bars aren't completely straight. They seem to have a little arch to them. I'm wondering if I could still get away with mounting the tent anyway? Has anyone tried this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2118.jpg (156.0 KB, 25 views)

2019 Rav4 XLE Hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
does the 165 account for the people within the tent? Ive seen a lot of owners go for with aftermarket cross bars for this type of setup. That way it could also allow for a separate awning.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsali View Post
does the 165 account for the people within the tent? Ive seen a lot of owners go for with aftermarket cross bars for this type of setup. That way it could also allow for a separate awning.
Im trying to get a confirmation from Toyota. My assumption is that 165lbs is the dynamic weight loading capacity – meaning while the car is in motion toyota recommends not having any more than 165lbs loaded on the cross bars. From what I gather, the static weight loading capacity is much greater than the dynamic capacity because the weight can be evenly distributed across the entire frame of the car.

I've done a little research since posting this and it SEEMS that I should be able to use my OEM cross bars for this tent considering it's only 95lbs and when the car is stationary it will be able to handle much more weight. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend…cross your fingers and i don't just completely screw up my brand new car 🤣

Stay tuned for an update!

2019 Rav4 XLE Hybrid
The Following User Says Thank You to afterinfinity For This Useful Post:
jbsali (05-08-2019)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I installed my RTT (125 lbs) on aftermarket Yakima Jetstream crossbars. Not sure about the OEM crossbars.

My old 4Runner had similar arched bars and after years of being hit by the sun they weakened and other people had them snap when weight was applied. I've always ran with either Thule square bars or these new Yakima ones (60 inch).

Hopefully I can figure out how to attach a picture!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3296.jpg (159.5 KB, 28 views)

2019 Lunar Rock Rav4 Trail Edition
The Following User Says Thank You to CDNRAV4.5 For This Useful Post:
costeen1202 (05-08-2019)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Also I forgot to add, when the tent is deployed, the ladder acts as a support which takes a little bit of weight off the roof of the vehicle. I believe the static weight is somewhere in the 650 lb range if I'm not mistaken.

2019 Lunar Rock Rav4 Trail Edition
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterinfinity View Post
Im trying to get a confirmation from Toyota. My assumption is that 165lbs is the dynamic weight loading capacity – meaning while the car is in motion toyota recommends not having any more than 165lbs loaded on the cross bars. From what I gather, the static weight loading capacity is much greater than the dynamic capacity because the weight can be evenly distributed across the entire frame of the car.
I am not an engineer (though I taught physics for a bit and am a Mensan ), and IMO this logic would be sufficient for me to be completely confortable sleeping up there with a combined weight of <300lb.

As you implied, that 165lb is meant to be a safe limit (with some not-insignificant safety margin) for all modes of operation; if you slam on the brakes, hit a speed hump at 50mph, or do a max-g evasive manuever, the bars themselves are theoretically meant to not fail with 165lb securely and evenly fastened to them.

So yeah, honestly Id be surprised if you had any issues with even two (outdoorsey-sized...) people up there, totaling perhaps 400-450lbs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRAV4.5 View Post
I installed my RTT (125 lbs) on aftermarket Yakima Jetstream crossbars. Not sure about the OEM crossbars.

My old 4Runner had similar arched bars and after years of being hit by the sun they weakened and other people had them snap when weight was applied. I've always ran with either Thule square bars or these new Yakima ones (60 inch).

Hopefully I can figure out how to attach a picture!
Interesting! I think in the end I'd prefer to get aluminum aftermarket bars but since the 2019 Rav4's are so new I cant find any sites that say they have compatable crossbars. I've checked, Thule, Yakima, and Rhino Rack. I see that you have the Adventure roof rack on your car. Looks like that makes it much easier to attach after market parts. I'm going to have to give some companies a call to see if they have bars that will fit on the rails I have.

Thank you for giving me a little insight though! That comment about the UV rays weakening the bars over time is a good point. I don't want to risk damaging my car. Your ride looks sweet btw.

2019 Rav4 XLE Hybrid
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I assume the rooftop tent will flex a bit and is also going to be in contact with the roof rails. So that will spread out the weight even more.

2019 RAV4 ADVENTURE (AKA 2020 TRD)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRAV4.5 View Post
CDNRAV4.5 - Nice RTT setup. What model CVT tent is that? Do you have any issues opening the rear hatch with tent installed? Also, what is the spacing between your crossbars. I'm looking to install a RTT that recommends a min 30" spacing between crossbars. The OEM crossbars come a couple inches short of that. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page