Adventure Roof Rails - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Adventure Roof Rails

Can somebody with an adventure chime in....

Are the larger adventure roof rails tacked or screwed onto the flat flush rails on all the other models or does it seem like the adventure roof rails are one piece?

I'm trying to figure out how I can change out the flat rails for adventure rails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi japoki,

I wish I could answer your question by experience as I am looking to do the exact same thing as you. I have the flush rails and need the raised rails. But I did go to my dealer to see what was involved and get a quote for the parts for switching to the raised Adventure rails. They scratched their heads a bit but said it looked like it was doable. The adventure rail parts were over $1,500, so that ended that. I may still go that direction, but I think I will wait for an adventure to show up in a salvage yard with good rails somewhere. I hope you have a line on the parts! Definitely interested what else you may come up with or if you go that route.

I need long cross bars that extend out beyond the rails and the OEM (adventure) cross bars do not do that. I already own Thule 450R Rapid Crossroad foot packs that are designed to strap around most any raised rails. I have Thule 60"Aeroblade bars to go with them. These were taken off the Dodge Journey that was sold before buying the Rav.

Alternatively, I've been waiting for Thule to release an actual bolt-on foot pack kit for the 2019+ Rav4 and would sell the universal 450R foot packs. I'd be happy either way...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Thanked 1,056 Times in 878 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by japoki1982 View Post
Can somebody with an adventure chime in....

Are the larger adventure roof rails tacked or screwed onto the flat flush rails on all the other models or does it seem like the adventure roof rails are one piece?

I'm trying to figure out how I can change out the flat rails for adventure rails.
You have an Adventure from reading your previous posts, you mean you want to swap out your Adventure rails for the non-Adventure rails, right?

Quote:
I have the valve closing sound as well on my gas adventure.....

2019 XLE Premium AWD

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Here's a video showing the rail mount bolts in the crossbar pockets.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
You have an Adventure from reading your previous posts, you mean you want to swap out your Adventure rails for the non-Adventure rails, right?
No, I have an adventure w/o adventure rails (and I want to put on the adventure rails).

Apparently Servco (the exclusive Hawaii region distributor) only brings them in with the flush rails (the type on all the other versions)

I don't believe Servco is even affiliated with Toyota USA. I think they may be working through Toyota Japan.

Servco brings in their cars to Hawaii with their own somewhat unique packages, options, and accessories (but they don't have their own brochures so I looked at Toyota USA).

I wanted an adventure and picked the lowest priced variation in which they bring in which included the sunroof (which I didn't know since it wasn't on their list of features and I didn't want), qi wireless pad, JBL, Entune Audio Plus. Plus it included rubber floor mats and the silver door sill protectors, cargo net. There may be others that I can't think of at the moment. Somehow they have it built into the model as they're not listed as accessories as I didn't pay for them separately and wouldn't want them. In fact half the stuff isn't even listed on the moroney sticker.

Servco sells a LOT in Hawaii so I think they have a lot of pull with Japan. They even got Toyota to build them special 100 year anniversary editions of the tacoma and 4runner for them.

https://www.servco.com/news/industry...exus-vehicles/

I don't normally have a problem with them. I just hate how they bring in their own variations of models. Otherwise I like my adventure.

I think Toyota sells about 25% of all cars/trucks in Hawaii and Servco is the exclusive distributor, so its take it or leave it which I don't think they'll be too sad about since they'll just sell your car to the next person that comes in the door.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Sounds like a PITA, seems like they're treating HI almost as a foreign county, not unlike PR! ! I'd contact a dealer parts dept to see how much the Adventure rails and crossbars are shipped, the Adventure crossbar part number is PT278-42191, you may be able to beat the dealer price for them online. '19 OEM parts lists aren't available online yet other than accessories, some online retailers don't even list 2018 yet!

Good luck!

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
No, I have an adventure w/o adventure rails (and I want to put on the adventure rails).

I've been wondering about making alterations to my rails too. The video that Quichdtoo posted is the first "insight" that I have seen about how the rails may be mounted to the vehicle. I'll have to take another look at mine to see if there is access at the base of the tall rails.

To answer your question more specifically. The tall rails are totally covered by plastic that almost appear to be 1 piece (there are no flat rails like on the other models). There are only a couple of windows (much like the video) in the upper inside portion of the rail to attach the crossbars only in that specific location. The cross bars do have (2) horizontal screw mounts on each end vs the single mount shown in the video. And the steel supporting structure is visible under the plastic covering when you remove the cross bars.

Personally, I would suspect that the job of swapping the rails would not be very difficult. But a little "know-how" would go a long way. If your adventurous, looks like at least some of the mounting hardware is underneath those little covers (shown in the video). You may take a driver and start loosening those bad boys up just to see what happens?

Here's my $0.02 though. If your going to go to that much trouble and expense, personally, I'd go with a complete aftermarket rail system. Looks to me like the Toyota Rail System is not very versatile on either model. Even the rails on the tall bars can only be placed in (1) location.

2019 Lunar Rock Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page