2019 RAV4 Limited Map lights - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Thanked 1,058 Times in 880 Posts
Garage
No video, but here's a basic instruction for the 4.3 console removal that appears to be very similar to the 4.5 overhead console.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-...tml#post594180

2019 XLE Premium AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitek79 View Post
Does anyone know how access the map light bulbs? I can't seem to get the covers to pry off, they really don't feel/look like they are supposed to..

Edit: Figured it out, bulb access is on top, just have to remove the whole assembly. Just pull down on it, it has 4 circular tabs on the back and front that hold it in place with one notch in front towards the windshield, I'd pull on the back towards the rear of the vehicle first.
No need to pull the whole assembly. I just pried off the map light covers with a small flat head screw driver carefully and it came off. I was able to switch out the halogen for a bright sirius LED. So proud of myself! First time working on anything in a car and I am not mechanically inclined at all. Just watched a couple of youtube videos of how you do in the 2018 rav4 and it is similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0676.jpg (71.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0675.jpg (45.3 KB, 122 views)

2019 RAV4 ADVENTURE (AKA 2020 TRD)
The Following User Says Thank You to dcmb2003 For This Useful Post:
cluses (03-31-2019)
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmb2003 View Post
No need to pull the whole assembly. I just pried off the map light covers with a small flat head screw driver carefully and it came off. I was able to switch out the halogen for a bright sirius LED. So proud of myself! First time working on anything in a car and I am not mechanically inclined at all. Just watched a couple of youtube videos of how you do in the 2018 rav4 and it is similar.
dcmb, thank you for taking the plunge by prying off the light covers. I tried pulling down the whole assembly with my pry tools, but it wouldn't give, and I didn't want to break anything. So you just removed the clear covers? Which part of the cover did you pry off first? Perhaps you could take a pic of you taking a tool to the section where you started prying. I plan to use Philips LED replacement bulbs. I know those are more expensive, but better safe than going up in flames. BTW, what are the map light bulbs, DE3175 or 194/168?

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Brilliant, Mate. Good on you for not WRECKING your entire assembly by trying to force those lenses out, which might be sealed into the assembly. Well done!

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murseofsteel View Post
dcmb, thank you for taking the plunge by prying off the light covers. I tried pulling down the whole assembly with my pry tools, but it wouldn't give, and I didn't want to break anything. So you just removed the clear covers? Which part of the cover did you pry off first? Perhaps you could take a pic of you taking a tool to the section where you started prying. I plan to use Philips LED replacement bulbs. I know those are more expensive, but better safe than going up in flames. BTW, what are the map light bulbs, DE3175 or 194/168?
I started from the rear and side of the light covers before the front. The tabs that held them all seemed similar but the front took longer to pry off. The dome lights above the rear seat are DE3175. Everything else (front map lights, front visor/vanity mirror, cargo lights) are all 194/168. I even changed the reverse light on the outside which was 921.

I did not realize some LED brands are safer than others. I thought the theoretical danger of fire comes from using LED vs Halogen. Apparently the low power withdrawal of LED can confuse the computerized power distribution. Seems to be more a problem of the flashing outside lights rather than the inside.

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I started from the rear and side of the light covers before the front. The tabs that held them all seemed similar but the front took longer to pry off. The dome lights above the rear seat are DE3175. Everything else (front map lights, front visor/vanity mirror, cargo lights) are all 194/168. I even changed the reverse light on the outside which was 921.

I did not realize some LED brands are safer than others. I thought the theoretical danger of fire comes from using LED vs Halogen. Apparently the low power withdrawal of LED can confuse the computerized power distribution. Seems to be more a problem of the flashing outside lights rather than the inside.
Mate, I tried prying the clear lenses off using my pry tools, couldn't do it without fear of breaking them. I tried I small flathead screwdriver, still no luck and also made a little scuff mark so I won't be doing that anymore. I suppose I'll wait until somebody does a video on YouTube before pressing the issue.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murseofsteel View Post
Mate, I tried prying the clear lenses off using my pry tools, couldn't do it without fear of breaking them. I tried I small flathead screwdriver, still no luck and also made a little scuff mark so I won't be doing that anymore. I suppose I'll wait until somebody does a video on YouTube before pressing the issue.
You have to use a little force and cannot be too gentle. There is nothing to break there. It will come off. I used one of those tester flat heads which are pretty small.

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
I have a 4.3 RAV4 and have done this a few times before.

Those pry tools are cheap. Any auto store (Harbor Freight, etc...) will have it.
Even after prying, you sometimes have to give a strong tug.
At the most, one of those white retainers might break and they are cheap too. I bought twenty on ebay for a few bucks.
The price is ok even at the dealer.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Marty Friedman" - Dragon's Kiss
The Following User Says Thank You to vanib For This Useful Post:
dcmb2003 (02-13-2019)
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:42 AM
dsn

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thumbs down map lights

Hello guys,

this has been very helpful, I was able to change every light bulb except for the map lights. It is so frustrating that they make it so difficult to change. It was a breeze when I changed the bulbs in my previous Civic. Dealer wanted to charge me 150$ to try to change it.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Question

Quote:
You have to use a little force and cannot be too gentle. There is nothing to break there. It will come off. I used one of those tester flat heads which are pretty small.
Would an eyeglass screwdriver work or is that TOO small?

2019 Rav4 XLE Premium AWD, 2015 Rav4 Limited AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page