2019 RAV4 Limited Map lights - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Thanked 1,061 Times in 882 Posts
Garage
See the Camry video posted earlier in this discussion, it shows the tool he used.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a '19 Limited and was able to change the factory map lights.

In my opinion the easiest thing to do is remove the assembly from the headliner. It really is not hard. I used a trim panel removal tool with a "fork" type end. There are 4 plastic clips that hold in it, 2 in front and 2 in back.

With the trim panel removal tool, work on the rear side first. You can push up on the headliner to peak inside and you'll easily see the clip. I put the fork end of the tool between the clip and popped it out from the roof. Once you get the rear popped off. You can then use your hands to get a grip on either side of the assembly and pull the front clips straight down. Once it's off, you remove the factory wire harness that's connected to it to pull it free from the car.

The lights are two sockets on either side that simply twist out. Replace the factory bulbs with LED and reinstall the assembly.

Even with the assembly down, I could not figure out a way to remove the plastic lens covers on their own. I did not want to risk breaking the lens covers. It is much easier to remove the assembly.

Hope this helps anyone looking to replace the lights. I may create a youtube tutorial video soon and update this post.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:
pweezil (04-01-2019), Souza (03-30-2019)
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
There's no way I would remove the assembly from the headliner. I'll live with what I've got before I'll go that far.

As for prying out the clear lenses, I would think that one of these tools might work well:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-...FBO/ref=sr_1_7

I've got a few of these -- the "flat end" is like a small nylon screwdriver. For those who have tried this, what would you think about a tool like this?

2019 RAV4 Limited AWD with Entune 3.0 Premium and Advanced Technology package.

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Even after I had the assembly out of the headliner I didnt see an obvious way to take the lenses off. I tinkered around with it to see if it was possible. I was more nervous trying to remove those lenses than taking the assembly down.

I found removing the assembly out the headliner was much easier. I would just recommend a trim removal tool. The worst you could probably do is break a clip, which is only a few cents at any toyota. Who knows how much one of those lenses cost and even if you could order that individual part. They probably only sell it as the whole assembly.

I may try to shoot a tutorial video soon. It was a piece of cake.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Thanked 1,061 Times in 882 Posts
Garage
Removal of the overhead console is the best way to access the bulbs, once you know how, it's easy peasy.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
Removal of the overhead console is the best way to access the bulbs, once you know how, it's easy peasy.

Oh, I'm sure that it's not all that difficult. I just have read and heard way too much about "dismantling an interior" with the clipfest that manufacturers have developed. As in, "you'll never get it put back together again as well as the factory did," and you're inviting more squeaks, rattles, and other noises than a little bit of extra light could possibly be worth. There is absolutely no way I would yank that thing off of the roof of my car.

2019 RAV4 Limited AWD with Entune 3.0 Premium and Advanced Technology package.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:01 PM
dsn

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Even after I had the assembly out of the headliner I didnt see an obvious way to take the lenses off. I tinkered around with it to see if it was possible. I was more nervous trying to remove those lenses than taking the assembly down.

I found removing the assembly out the headliner was much easier. I would just recommend a trim removal tool. The worst you could probably do is break a clip, which is only a few cents at any toyota. Who knows how much one of those lenses cost and even if you could order that individual part. They probably only sell it as the whole assembly.

I may try to shoot a tutorial video soon. It was a piece of cake.
That would amazing. I am still very cautious with trying to put that console, but if I see a video maybe I will feel encourage to do it. Thank you.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:00 AM
dsn

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsn View Post
That would amazing. I am still very cautious with trying to put that console, but if I see a video maybe I will feel encourage to do it. Thank you.
Update on this:

It is really easy as long as you buy a cheap set of trim pry tools from Amazon (only cost me 6 bucks). Just make sure you use the 'fork-alike' tool and pry in the rear corners first, then, everything comes off very easy. Thank you everyone who posted their experiences. Now rocking my LED lights (those ugly yellow were driving me crazy).
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmb2003 View Post
I started from the rear and side of the light covers before the front. The tabs that held them all seemed similar but the front took longer to pry off. The dome lights above the rear seat are DE3175. Everything else (front map lights, front visor/vanity mirror, cargo lights) are all 194/168. I even changed the reverse light on the outside which was 921.

I did not realize some LED brands are safer than others. I thought the theoretical danger of fire comes from using LED vs Halogen. Apparently the low power withdrawal of LED can confuse the computerized power distribution. Seems to be more a problem of the flashing outside lights rather than the inside.
Would you say removing the front map lights in the 2019 is the same process as the 2018, as shown in this video:
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDotA View Post
Would you say removing the front map lights in the 2019 is the same process as the 2018, as shown in this video: 2018 RAV4 interior lighting replacement
similar but the position of those holding tabs are different. They were symmetric if I remember right.

2019 RAV4 ADVENTURE (AKA 2020 TRD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page