Entune: Folder Playback From Hell. - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Good to know that they are using folders now. Do they still have a limitation of 255 files in a folder? My 2016 Ravh does not have a number of files limit in root, but my 2018 RX is even worse. It has a 255 files limit in root too. I gave up trying to use Enform (same as Entune) on the Lexus, and just use an old Ipod classic, which works perfect, and I can use voice commands to access playlists. On the Rav I have everything in root, but the constant reindexing is a pain. I will not buy another Toyota until Enture/Entune for music and maps is dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravgolferjack View Post
Good to know that they are using folders now. Do they still have a limitation of 255 files in a folder? My 2016 Rav4 does not have a number of files limit in root, but my 2018 RX is even worse. It has a 255 files limit in root too. I gave up trying to use Enform (same as Entune) on the Lexus, and just use an old Ipod classic, which works perfect, and I can use voice commands to access playlists. On the Rav I have everything in root, but the constant reindexing is a pain. I will not buy another Toyota until Enture/Entune for music and maps is dead.

Everything in root? Well, the concept with folders, as I see it, is putting files in folders, and organizing things that way. Then, any file limitation of the root directory (and I presume nothing would change there) is entirely moot.

I have no real problem with Entune, so long as you can figure out what it does, and work with it accordingly. I'm quite happy with it now.

That said, back to "255 files in a folder" or in the root directory. When you play back via folders, the Entune 3.0 system will advance from one folder to the next next folder, and just keep on going until you stop it or switch to some other source. The "repeat" function will work first on the current song, and then if you press the button again, it will repeat that folder. Press it again, and the repeat will be off, and it will march through the folders on your drive, in alphanumeric order. Unless you've made some changes, and it's added new stuff at the end of your alphanumeric folder list, which is what I was discussing earlier. But, I've got that handled now.

2019 RAV4 Limited AWD with Entune 3.0 Premium and Advanced Technology package.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post
Everything in root? Well, the concept with folders, as I see it, is putting files in folders, and organizing things that way. Then, any file limitation of the root directory (and I presume nothing would change there) is entirely moot.

I have no real problem with Entune, so long as you can figure out what it does, and work with it accordingly. I'm quite happy with it now.

That said, back to "255 files in a folder" or in the root directory. When you play back via folders, the Entune 3.0 system will advance from one folder to the next next folder, and just keep on going until you stop it or switch to some other source. The "repeat" function will work first on the current song, and then if you press the button again, it will repeat that folder. Press it again, and the repeat will be off, and it will march through the folders on your drive, in alphanumeric order. Unless you've made some changes, and it's added new stuff at the end of your alphanumeric folder list, which is what I was discussing earlier. But, I've got that handled now.
It sounds like you are saying that there is still a limitation of 255 files in a folder, and if so, then it is the sameo pile that 2.0 had. Entune 2.0 had folder capability, with a 255 max, and if you wanted to shuffle the order it would do that in a folder. Root was used to get around the 255 problem and let Entune index everything. What was missing and still missing is the capability to create playlists. People tried to use folders as playlists, but were limited to 255. Still dumb and weird. Lexus even took away the root solution to the 255 max limitation.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
It sounds like you are saying that there is still a limitation of 255 files in a folder, and if so, then it is the sameo pile that 2.0 had. Entune 2.0 had folder capability, with a 255 max, and if you wanted to shuffle the order it would do that in a folder. Root was used to get around the 255 problem and let Entune index everything. What was missing and still missing is the capability to create playlists. People tried to use folders as playlists, but were limited to 255. Still dumb and weird. Lexus even took away the root solution to the 255 max limitation.

Playlist presumes ability to 'reference' the same physical song from multiple playlists meaning it requires some 'editor' that would allow such playlists creation/editing and some extra storage to keep them. Then one would come and insert different USB drive and complain why it didn't figure out how to play those stored playlists correctly even though many of the same songs exist on both drives . I'm not saying it's impossible - say they could try to store playlist to the USB drive itself and default to current behavior when they don't see such playlists on a new drive. I don't expect them to spend resources there though- it is much more cost efficient to provide integration with iOS/Android and let users use the apps they're familiar with from their mobile phones than to try to reinvent a wheel and make users create the same playlists in every car they own as just one consequence.

I consider USB flash drives equivalent of CD changer where each folder represents separate CD. Head units play content of such 'changer' in the way it is written to drive, they don't re- order them in any way. If I want to change the order I put the drive in my PC and change it there to any order I like.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max5gen View Post
Playlist presumes ability to 'reference' the same physical song from multiple playlists meaning it requires some 'editor' that would allow such playlists creation/editing and some extra storage to keep them. Then one would come and insert different USB drive and complain why it didn't figure out how to play those stored playlists correctly even though many of the same songs exist on both drives . I'm not saying it's impossible - say they could try to store playlist to the USB drive itself and default to current behavior when they don't see such playlists on a new drive. I don't expect them to spend resources there though- it is much more cost efficient to provide integration with iOS/Android and let users use the apps they're familiar with from their mobile phones than to try to reinvent a wheel and make users create the same playlists in every car they own as just one consequence.

I consider USB flash drives equivalent of CD changer where each folder represents separate CD. Head units play content of such 'changer' in the way it is written to drive, they don't re- order them in any way. If I want to change the order I put the drive in my PC and change it there to any order I like.

Yeah, nail on the head, the focus on development of the infotainment system is definitely centered on interfacing with mobile devices.

I mean, I was a bit shocked to see the new RAV doesnít even have a CD player...but then I thought about just how often I used the CD player in my last car and realized I probably wouldnít miss it that much.

I do use the usb drive capability, but realize itís a feature that takes a back seat to phone/Bluetooth/car-play/etc or the built in streaming apps.

Yes, Iíd definitely appreciate a more robust file system manager on there...but I suppose I understand why itís not.

The 255 files limit is obviously related to the fact thatís the value for one byte in decimal numbers...so my assumption is that the system isnít able to allocate more RAM to enumerate files within a particular directory once it hits that limit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Oh, I have no idea about any file limitations of the Entune system -- that's all about the operating system of the media you're using, presuming you've got a thumb drive formatted with FAT32, for instance. You absolutely cannot blame that on Toyota or Entune or anyone who didn't invent the file systems we have been using for decades. So, I'm just presuming that Entune can't do anything about the file limitation built into the media you're using.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
OK, I'm no fan of random playback, but here's what the manual says about it:

Each time [the random playback button] is selected, the mode changes as follows:
-- random (1 folder random)
-- folder random (all folder random)
-- off

Actually, the manual always states it as "folder/album," but since we're talking about folders, I cleaned it up a bit.

So, if you simply want the system to play back everything on your media drive randomly, presumably this will get the job done.

As for "playlists," well, for crying out loud, that's what I do with "folders."

I have folders with single albums by an artist.

I have folders with multiple albums by an artist.

I have folders with songs from multiple albums by an artist, but not all of the songs -- just my favorites. (Most "multiple albums" are like this.)

I have folders with songs from multiple artists, sorted with track numbers, and given folder names that describe the kind of music involved. (You know, like "playlists?")

I name my folders with an alphanumeric system, which goes something like this:

A00 - My "favorite" music, which I want to sort at the top of the list.
B00 - My "albums," by artists.
C00 - My "compilations" with multiple artists, with the numbers relatively sorting things in an order that works for me.

Is there anything there that "folders" can't do that "playlists" can do? Mind you, I have no problem whatsoever having multiple copies of songs in different folders, if things work that way -- so far, I'm only using about 15 gigabytes of space on a 32 gigabyte drive, and I commonly used a 64 gigabyte drive -- formatted in FAT32 -- in my old Corolla system. I presume that would work just fine in the RAV4 system. But a few repeated songs isn't going to waste enough of my drive space to worry about.

I've got about 80 folders in a single folder that resides in the root directory, so I have no worries about root directory file limitations. My only issue has been realizing that I've got to somehow force it to do a "full read" in order to put folders back into alphanumeric order, after making changes to folders and/or adding new folders. Without that "full read," the system will add the new and changed folders to the end of the previous list. But, a "full read" puts everything back in proper order. So, aside from that one little issue that I have managed to work around, I'm entirely happy with using the Entune 3 system, instead of hassling with my phone or an external MP3 player.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:39 AM

I did exactly what you are doing with folders when I had a Honda. I had many folders representing "playlists", eg. Country, classical, Jazz, etc. There were at least a 1000 songs in each folder. The Honda system would play the folder in sequence or randomly. There was no 255 file limitation. When we got the Rav that USB drive would not work that way anymore, because of the 255 limitation. In order to get to some sort of "playlist" many people here played around with changing genera, album, or whatever, to make "playlists" and load everyting into Root as one folder. Entune would then index all of that into various catagories. I gave up on all of that and just went to an old IPOD which works perfectly. My basic question still remains--Did they remove the 255 file restriction???? It is really not a hard question to answer.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm sorry, but I don't have more than perhaps a couple of dozen songs in any given folder. I guess that about the last thing I would ever want to do would be to toss all of my music into one pot, and let some "device" decide what to serve me. I frankly don't even use any "random" settings at all -- never have. So, I'm just not set up to do stuff like that.

I suppose another disconnect here has a lot to do with MP3 "tags," which it sounds like what you're talking about with "categories" and such. And I just don't use MP3 tags to the greatest extent I can possibly get away with. I have organized my music in "folders" since back when we called them "directories," and when the MP3 format was born, back in the early 1990's.

Thus, I'm using "folders" to get as far away from the "MP3 tag nonsense" as much as I possibly can.

As for the file limits, I would think you might find some answers in the "Multimedia" owners manual, which you can find here:

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...f/OM0R011U.pdf

I would think that they've got to reference their specifications in there, somewhere.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Folder dates

I would say that the folder structure is being displayed based upon the date the folders were created.

You can modify these dates using a free program such as this one:

NewFileTime 3.44 Corrections and manipulation of timestamp

This should be much easier than any of the methods mentioned in this thread.

So far, I am loving my 2019 RAV4 Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page