Qi Charger - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Country: Jeff Millner's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Qi Charger

I just bought an XLE Premium, but mine didn't have the technology package with the cross traffic sensors or Qi Charger.

I am trying to find out if I can install a Qi charger, my assumption is the wiring harnesses "should" be the same in every vehicle so as the car is rolling down the assembly line, any accessory package destined for that vehicle can bolt right in. But that is an assumption.

Anyone got any ideas?
Jeff Millner is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Millner For This Useful Post:
newcomer411 (04-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member
Country: Dr. Dyno's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastern CT
Posts: 8,767
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Thanks: 625
Thanked 998 Times in 877 Posts
Couple of related thoughts. I just bought a new Accord but it's the base model which doesn't come with a built-in Qi charger. On eBay I found one for $70 that fits right in just like the factory Honda one. Also found the install video on Youtube.

Was just about to order one but it occurred to me that the factory one is in a very inconvenient location on the floor of the center storage area. What do I do with other things I want to store there? Put them on top of the phone? And then move the phone to another holder when I want to see it while driving for GPS, etc. (I specifically DIDN'T want built-in Navigation due to annual subscription costs when my phone updates daily for free.)

So I just ordered this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254171980534
For $10 it might be just what I need. Initially I'll just plug it into the USB port but later some engineer will figure out how to wire it invisibly.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Barcelona Red Limited - wife's
2018 Accord Hybrid, Blue Pearl - Dr. Dyno's - 47/47 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2003 F-250 4X4 - eventual replacement for the '99
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!


"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
Dr. Dyno is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member
Country: Quickdtoo's Flag is: United States
 
Quickdtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 4,411
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Thanks: 122
Thanked 981 Times in 821 Posts
Garage
Here's a thread on TN that may help. Personally I don't use mine often at all, usually have my iphone connected to USB for Carplay which charges it too if I'm on a longer drive, and just use bluetooth around town on errands and such. I don't like to overcharge the phone, keeping it between 40-80% gives best battery life.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/9...ging-tray.html

2019 XLE Premium AWD
Quickdtoo is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:26 PM
Junior Member
Country: Whorne's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
Here's a thread on TN that may help. Personally I don't use mine often at all, usually have my iphone connected to USB for Carplay which charges it too if I'm on a longer drive, and just use bluetooth around town on errands and such. I don't like to overcharge the phone, keeping it between 40-80% gives best battery life.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/9...ging-tray.html
You bring up a good point. I was debating on whether or not I wanted the Advanced Tech package but was thinking that I would be having the phone connected via USB for CarPlay most of the time- so what use would I get out of the Qi charger? Do you get enough use out of the other features of the Advanced Package to warrant the $1K?
Whorne is online now  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member
Country: Quickdtoo's Flag is: United States
 
Quickdtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 4,411
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Thanks: 122
Thanked 981 Times in 821 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorne View Post
You bring up a good point. I was debating on whether or not I wanted the Advanced Tech package but was thinking that I would be having the phone connected via USB for CarPlay most of the time- so what use would I get out of the Qi charger? Do you get enough use out of the other features of the Advanced Package to warrant the $1K?
The parking sonar is a PITA in a car wash, it goes crazy and I have to silence it, but the warnings on the MID continue. I can't use the digital rear view due to old eyes, takes too long to focus with progressive lenses, I can't just glance for a peek as normal, I have to tip my head and turn slightly, no just moving my eyes. But the RCTB has saved me from a speeding moron in a parking lot, he was out of my view, but not the sensors and it stopped me from backing into the him, so it's totally worth it from the one incident so far. I thought I'd like the Qi charger, but with Carplay I don't really need it. It is handy for my wife to put her phone on charge when she's with me, and she has it in her Prius Prime which doesn't have Carplay, so she's used to using it.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
Quickdtoo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickdtoo For This Useful Post:
Whorne (04-16-2019)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Junior Member
Country: Whorne's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
The parking sonar is a PITA in a car wash, it goes crazy and I have to silence it, but the warnings on the MID continue. I can't use the digital rear view due to old eyes, takes too long to focus with progressive lenses, I can't just glance for a peek as normal, I have to tip my head and turn slightly, no just moving my eyes. But the RCTB has saved me from a speeding moron in a parking lot, he was out of my view, but not the sensors and it stopped me from backing into the him, so it's totally worth it from the one incident so far. I thought I'd like the Qi charger, but with Carplay I don't really need it. It is handy for my wife to put her phone on charge when she's with me, and she has it in her Prius Prime which doesn't have Carplay, so she's used to using it.
Do you use the Bird's eye view much?
Whorne is online now  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member
Country: Quickdtoo's Flag is: United States
 
Quickdtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 4,411
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Thanks: 122
Thanked 981 Times in 821 Posts
Garage
Birds Eye doesn't come with the XLE Premium Grade Tech package, has to be Limited. I wouldn't want the Birds Eye camera, the front camera is too vulnerable to rock damage, lots of chip sealed roads here, it's hard enough on windshields and paint!

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/125...erability.html

2019 XLE Premium AWD

Last edited by Quickdtoo; 04-15-2019 at 07:16 PM. Reason: 360 Camera is only available on the Limited
Quickdtoo is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:13 PM
Junior Member
Country: Whorne's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
Birds Eye doesn't come with the XLE Premium Grade Tech package, has to be Limited. I wouldn't want the Birds Eye camera, the front camera is too vulnerable to rock damage, lots of chip sealed roads here, it's hard enough on windshields and paint!

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/125...erability.html
I understand. Thanks for the input. I am in agreement with you on the Bird's Eye.
Whorne is online now  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:17 PM
Member
 
thoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorne View Post
Do you use the Bird's eye view much?
Hehehehe. I've got to weigh in on this one. Absolutely, no doubt about it whatsoever, the Limited Advanced Technology package was one of the biggest reasons that got me into a dealership to buy a 2019 RAV4 Limited. I use the wireless charger virtually every time I drive the car -- where on Earth else am I going to put my phone, other than on that charger? I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, with wireless charging, and I gave up cable charging absolutely years ago.

One of the other, but less-often mentioned part of that package is the Smart Lock system that is on all of the doors, instead of just the front doors. I also use that on the rear doors, almost every day.

But, by far, the biggest part of what I wanted was the Bird's Eye View camera system, and it works exceedingly well. Even if you skip the whole "bird's eye view" aspect of the system, how many of you thought, when you got your first backup camera, how much you would love to have a "front view camera" for when you're parking, so you can see what's going on with the front end of your car? I have mine set up so that the front view camera and the bird's eye view system shows on the center display every time the car slows to 5 MPH or less, and I absolutely love it. I can put my RAV4 literally within one inch of any curb, wall, or whatever is around it.

I have often said how I have never, ever gotten a door ding in any car I've ever owned, and that's been a period of time for almost 40 years now. Of course, I have accomplished that by parking "out in the sticks," and usually by finding a curb or other boundary that prevents anyone from parking on one side of my car, and getting right up next to it. While, indeed, I have never gotten a door ding, my wheels haven't fared nearly as well -- I have made mincemeat of most of them. But that ends with my RAV4 and that bird's eye view camera system.

Will rocks knock out that front-view camera? I'll let you know if it ever happens. For the record, I try not to follow dump trucks on the freeway, if that might help. I rather expect that I won't ever have a problem with any of the cameras -- I expect that manufacturers like Toyota have figured out how to make those pretty tough. If anything, the cameras can get dirty, especially in wet conditions, but have you ever just spent a minute cleaning off your headlights or taillights? Well, I do the same with the cameras. Heck, I have stopped at fast-food restaurants and walked out with a couple of napkins in hand, to clean off the cameras before moving along with my trip. Only takes a minute.

In the end, I'm very happy and satisfied with all of the things included in that Advanced Technology package. I consider it to be the best money I've ever spent on an "option" in the entire history of my car ownership.

2019 RAV4 Limited AWD with Entune 3.0 Premium and Advanced Technology package.
thoots is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thoots For This Useful Post:
paulday (04-16-2019), Whorne (04-16-2019)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member
Country: Dr. Dyno's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastern CT
Posts: 8,767
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Thanks: 625
Thanked 998 Times in 877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post
I use the wireless charger virtually every time I drive the car -- where on Earth else am I going to put my phone, other than on that charger? I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, with wireless charging, and I gave up cable charging absolutely years ago.
Same here. ASA I got my Galaxy S7 the only place I plug it in is on the stand mounted on the door of my truck where it's always in GPS mode. Probably could add Qi to it but it does suck some power on GPS that Qi might not supply. Will be trying the one I mentioned in my new Accord. Supposedly it grabs the phone automatically and I'll like it being where I can see it like a vent holder and charging at the same time.
Dr. Dyno is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Qi Wireless Charger Mod AmanteNJ 4.4 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV 14 06-29-2018 12:56 PM
Hide phone charger cable in Dash siniang 4.3 Interior 3 03-12-2018 05:53 PM
Aftermarket qi charger for 2017 RAV4 VTECMAN 4.4 Interior 2 02-27-2018 01:50 PM
Charger draining battery? alf Off Topic 4 01-09-2017 06:17 AM
USB Charger grmuller 4.3 Interior 17 05-16-2016 10:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome