Ham Radio Installation - Part-1 - Antenna - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ham Radio Installation - Part-1 - Antenna

Ham Radio Installation
I recently installed a Kenwood TM-D710GA radio in my 2019 Adventure. Following is what I did – perhaps it will help someone. It looks like there is a limit on photos - so I will do this in two parts. This part covers the antenna.

Antenna

I attached the antenna to the right luggage rack. The routing path was along the roof, behind the taillight assembly, then behind the rear interior body panel, then beneath the rear & passenger driver door sills, & finally alongside the power cable to beneath the passenger seat. I did it as follows:
1. Bolted antenna (Diamond NR77OHNMO) to roof rail using Diamond K15SNMO. I replaced the cable with a Diamond C101NMO so that I could have the mini-UHF connector instead of the SMA. The coax is RG316, but there is enough room that RG-8x might work also.
2. Pop off taillight bolt cover using plastic molding lever.
3. Unbolt the two tail light retainer bolts & remove the taillight by pulling back. I found it very difficult to get enough grip to pop it off but kept trying & eventually got it. It may help if it is warmer. The tail light assembly is designed such that water can drain between it & the body, but the wiring pass-throughs are grommeted. There are also two additional rubber grommet-plugs. The gap between the taillight assembly & the body is large enough for the RG-316 & would likely also allow RG-8x.
4. I removed the spare tire & also the forward plastic decking, which is retained by two screws. There are also several push-in retainers that need to be popped loose on the top. This allows good visibility beneath the rear seats.
5. I used a house-wiring fish tape (after taping the end so it wouldn’t catch on things) to push through the taillight grommet hole to beneath the forward end of the interior right-side panel, then pulled the coax (I used the 10-foot Diamond C110 RG-8X extension) back out from beneath the panel & then worked the front end forward to near the rear seat. There seems to be lots of room behind the panel.
6. I bought a grommet from the hardware store (1/2” groove dia), put it over the RG-316, then connected the mini-UHF connectors (tighten with wrenches & tape so that it doesn’t work loose), then pulled it through from the front.
7. Sealed the coax where it exits the body by putting it within some slit vacuum hose, wrapping with electrical tape, & making a final seal with coax-seal.
8. I pushed the fish tape rearwards from beneath the rear seat near the door sill into the cargo area & pulled the coax forward. There is a small hole that is best seen from the cargo area. It is a tight fit.
9. I worked the coax forward (beneath the rear door sill, slipped it under the right pillar trim (didn’t remove trim), then beneath the front passenger door & to the passenger seat as per the power cable.
6-Antenna Mount.jpg

8-Coax Routing-B.jpg

9-Coax Routing-C.JPG

10-Coax Routing-D-Cargo Area.JPG

11-Coax Routing-E-Rear Door Sill.JPG

12-Coax Routing-F-Outside Complete.JPG

13-Cargo Area Reassembly.JPG
The Following User Says Thank You to hereinhelena For This Useful Post:
cluses (05-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version