Ham Radio Installation
I recently installed a Kenwood TM-D710GA radio in my 2019 Adventure. Following is what I did – perhaps it will help someone. This is Part-2 of a 2-Part post & shows the power, control head, speaker, and microphone. Part-1 has the antenna.
For power I routed 10-ga wire from the battery, along the firewall (above the square wiring harness conduit) to the passenger side. I used PowerWerx 10-ga wire & fuses, but would use the cable in the Kenwood PG-5F kit if I had it to do over as it would make routing a little easier & there would be no need to splice the fuses. My procedure was as follows:
1. Clipped/Cut the inboard nub on the rubber boot that goes through the firewall near the glove box. Take care not to lean on the brake lines, or the A/C conduit.
2. Lowered the glovebox (unsnapped the shock absorber on the right side & pressed in the sides so that it can lower)
3. Pushed a coat hanger through the rubber boot nub from the engine side. It pushed aside the insulating carpet in the cab & I then used the coat hanger to pull the wire through from the passenger compartment. It is a tight fit - lubricating with dish soap helped.
4. Routed to battery, fused both Positive & Negative, bolted to battery with 5/16” ring terminals.
5. Removed passenger kick panel (there is a “pull-off” plastic retainer & then it just pops off).
6. Removed door sill (used plastic trim levers from the auto parts store).
7. Put cable in wire loom (1/4” for the single wire runs & 3/8” for the rest). Did this both in the engine compartment, and in the cab.
8. Pushed wire loom & wire through from the door sill to beneath the passenger seat adjacent to the existing wires (seat heater?) & up through the existing slit in the carpet beneath the passenger seat (takes two people – one to push & one to feel for the wire through the slit).
9. Added Anderson Power-Pole connector to wire beneath the seat.
Radio Control Head
I fixed the Control Head on top of the center display using the Kenwood supplied headset support & adhesive Velcro tape. The Proclip vent mount would be very good also. I used adhesive zip-ties from Lowes to tame the control cable & pushed it between the windshield & dash, then around the base of the right windshield pillar, and to beneath the passenger seat as per the power cable.
The speaker (Kenwood KES-3S) is loose in the utility tray. I routed the wire beneath the dash & then alongside the power cables.
The microphone mount is currently taped to the panel beneath the start button using 3M moulding tape from the auto parts store. This seems to be a good spot, but the long-term efficacy of the tape is still untested. I may screw mount this if the tape doesn’t hold. I routed the microphone cable (had to use the extension in the Kenwood PG-5F kit) around the rear of the center console beneath the trim, then directly to beneath the passenger seat.
I put some Velcro on the standard Kenwood mount & stuck that to the carpet beneath the right passenger seat (to the right of the vent exit), with the coax end facing forward. It fits nicely.
5-Door Sill to Seat Routing.JPG