Carry bikes inside new Rav4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Carry bikes inside new Rav4

We love our 2011 V6 RAV4. One reason we chose this model is we can fit two road bikes inside vertically. We take off the front wheels and clamp them onto a board with bicycle fork mounts. The models after ours reduced the interior height and our bikes won’t fit. We like to carry our bikes inside the car to reduce thief and damage. Going back to a mini van is not an option. Does anyone know if they will fit in this model? The only info I found is 29” mountain bikes will fit without both wheels. Any info is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Garage
I can't speak for the interior height, but I have put a couple of bikes in the back. I've been able to fit my 58"cm touring bike laying on its side without removing any wheels, and the same goes for my 27.5" mountain bike. I've also been able fit both my mountain bike and my roommates 29er, and all we did was take off the front wheels.

Definitely smaller interior volume than my previous car (2004 Honda Pilot), but I'm quite happy with what I've been able to fit. You may need to adjust your seats and it'll depend on the size of your road bikes, but you may be able to fit them upright as you describe. You'll definitely be able to fit both if you lay them side ways (just place a shipping blanket or towel between the parts of the frame that touch.

Good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispie8 View Post
We love our 2011 V6 RAV4. One reason we chose this model is we can fit two road bikes inside vertically. We take off the front wheels and clamp them onto a board with bicycle fork mounts. The models after ours reduced the interior height and our bikes won’t fit. We like to carry our bikes inside the car to reduce thief and damage. Going back to a mini van is not an option. Does anyone know if they will fit in this model? The only info I found is 29” mountain bikes will fit without both wheels. Any info is appreciated.
My road bike did not fit vertically with wheels on. I have to lay it down slanted after folding one seat. I can probably put two bikes slanted after I fold both seats. I don't want to wrestle with bikes each time and get grease or mud inside the car. The rear hitch with platform rack and a lock works much better for me.

2019 RAV4 ADVENTURE (AKA 2020 TRD)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:52 PM

Regarding 2019 RAV4 hatch interior dimensions, I found this item of information: cargo volume at 69.8 cubic feet behind front seat, estimated. I cannot find the hatch area’s height stated anywhere. So go to a dealer and bring a tape measure with you and measure the hatch area’s height yourself. Then measure the height of your bikes.

A dealer is not going to allow you to bring your bike in and let you try to stow it in a car. They don’t want their unsold new car’s interior to risk getting scratched or scraped by a bike.

Even if you can fit and stow two bikes vertically in the hatch, you’ll probably have to remove both the front and rear bike wheels for it to fit. I hope your bikes have quick release wheel hubs. Placing cardboard or something under the chain will prevent chain grease from getting on the carpet.

Alternatives: roof bike rack, trailer hitch bike rack, and getting a different type of bike called a “folder”. A folder is a bicycle in which the frame can fold up to allow for easy storage. Most of them have really small wheels but some have 27” wheels.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
This video might help you compare measurements with yours:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RqtoUmWUmtU

2016 RAV4 XLE Hybrid
2019 RAV4 XSE Hybrid
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You will definitely have to take measurements to find out for sure as bikes come in multiple different frame sizes and while someone with a very small frame bike might fit if yours is larger it might not. However I would look into buying a hitch mounted tray rack. There are countless models on the market some include integrated locks. I use a heavy duty kryptonite chain lock for my 5k$ mountain bikes and have driven all over the country without issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement