Installed new speaker components in non-JBL - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Installed new speaker components in non-JBL

I installed new components speakers up front and co-axials in rear doors. I guessed on the speaker polarity colors. The speaker plugs and colors are completely different from previous generations of Toyos. (The front have a white and grey wire approx 16ga. I believe the white is the neg- and the grey is pos+. (The speaker sound was distorted in reverse order). If I remember, in previous Toyo's the lighter color is pos+ though.

The factory non-JBL speakers are made by Pioneer but super wimpy magnets. The tweeter out weighted the the whole oem 6-3/4" speaker. There is another thread asking for the output wattage of the oem deck. The back of the speakers state 20w @4ohms

For those of you doing the upgrade, just cut out the factory woofer with a razor and leave the riveted frame/bracket in place for a 6.5" speaker. You will need 1-1/2" long screws to secure the new speakers in the deep plastic frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. How much improvement was it? I was gonna try and just use some sound deadening as some other poster stated the speakers sounded much better without all the extra noise that was inhibited from the noise barrier. I also am gonna tap off the rear speakers for an amp for my sub.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyanRuby View Post
Thanks for the info. How much improvement was it? I was gonna try and just use some sound deadening as some other poster stated the speakers sounded much better without all the extra noise that was inhibited from the noise barrier. I also am gonna tap off the rear speakers for an amp for my sub.
The sound deadening helped quite a bit. The factory speakers magnets are so wimpy, I would definitely recommend it. I have small Jl audio 3.5's laying around, 1 speaker out weighs both front door 6.5 speakers combined. It's typical oem speakers- plastic basket, small magnet, very little excursion (movement) allowed.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanj92 View Post
I installed new components speakers up front and co-axials in rear doors. I guessed on the speaker polarity colors. The speaker plugs and colors are completely different from previous generations of Toyos. (The front have a white and grey wire approx 16ga. I believe the white is the neg- and the grey is pos+. (The speaker sound was distorted in reverse order). If I remember, in previous Toyo's the lighter color is pos+ though.

The factory non-JBL speakers are made by Pioneer but super wimpy magnets. The tweeter out weighted the the whole oem 6-3/4" speaker. There is another thread asking for the output wattage of the oem deck. The back of the speakers state 20w @4ohms

For those of you doing the upgrade, just cut out the factory woofer with a razor, then cut the plastic cage and leave the riveted frame/bracket in place for a 6.5" speaker. You will need 1-1/2" long screws to secure the new speakers in the deep plastic frame.
I forgot to add the rear speaker wires are white with grey stripe (pos+), and white/faded pink stripe (neg-) (I guessed on polarity)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:48 PM

So far i am on my Rear driver door and the wires off the speaker are gray and white. They go to the b pillar and connect into a white connector. They come out as pink with white stripe and pink with a mint green stripe. I have an LE.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did you get any pictures of this? I will be running taping off these wires tomorrow to add a high level out and install a subwoofer. I don't want to get it wrong.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Martinez View Post
Did you get any pictures of this? I will be running taping off these wires tomorrow to add a high level out and install a subwoofer. I don't want to get it wrong.
I’ll get pics in the morning. I’m in CA so it will be around 6 am my time when i get the pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement