How new is the 'new' 2.5 engine? - Page 4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old Today, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
wbw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What Dr Dyno said. I usually know way more about the car I'm test driving than the sales guy does. They are not 'car guys'. They're sales guys. Don't believe much of what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old Today, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Thanked 1,014 Times in 892 Posts
In addition, nothing a sales person says or promises is enforceable unless it in writing on the sales contract and signed by the the establishment's owner. Just consider the rest total BS.

When I test drove the 2018 Accord Hybrid I ended up buying the salesman with 20 years experience selling Hondas told me it has an 8-speed transmission. Total BS and I knew it. And later in a nice way I told him so, saying in fact it has no transmission at all but is actually a direct drive. Emailed him the engineeringexplained.com link that explained it. He got back saying he understood it and thanking me. What do you bet he's still telling folks it an 8-speed or maybe an e-CVT, another misnomer.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old Today, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for all the replies. I definitely understand that most car salespeople don’t know about technical matters. The guy I bought my last two RAV4s from is no longer there, and this is a guy who happened to be there when my wife and I stopped in the dealership a couple weeks ago. Supposedly he’s been there for 8 years, but I get that they not mechanically oriented or proficient. BTW, I do have an automotive background, so I understand most engine design features, but carbon build up (like on my GTI) is not the only issue with DI. Even though that might be addressed with the port injection, there’s still the added fuel pressure (which forces fuel past the rings on the Honda 1.5 turbo), and the added stress of the higher compression. Overall, I know Toyota are pretty conservative with regard to putting new technology out to the masses before it’s proven, but this time I plan on buying and driving this RAV4 after my wife’s lease expires in 3 years and I drive about 40K miles a year, so this car will see 200K quickly and I’m just hoping it will prove to be as trouble free as my last two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page