Rear Driveline Disconnect/Reconnect Noise? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear Driveline Disconnect/Reconnect Noise?

Hi all,

I just bought a new 2019 Adventure trim and I'm wondering if anyone else with AWD with the Rear Driveline Disconnect feature has noticed a slight "clunk" noise when braking, right around 19-20MPH.

I'm thinking it is the driveline disconnect re-engaging the rear wheels, because when I set the gauge cluster display to show the engagement and torque vectoring of the AWD system, the noise correlates to when the driveline is engaged and re-engaged on the display. When I put the car in sport mode, which forces AWD all the time, the noise does not happen on deceleration/braking.

It mostly happens during deceleration/braking, but only occasionally during acceleration, right as the display indicates power has been cut from the rear wheels (as I've gotten up to speed).

I took it to a Toyota dealership but the Techs there acted like it was a spaceship that they had never seen before since it is so new, and had no idea it even had rear driveline disconnect, or what that even was. They said it didn't sound "bad" but admitted they heard the noise too.

At the end of the day, I guess I'm asking "Does anyone else's Adventure or Limited with the AWD make a slight clunk noise when braking around 19-20 mph?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowedroid View Post
Hi all,

I just bought a new 2019 Adventure trim and I'm wondering if anyone else with AWD with the Rear Driveline Disconnect feature has noticed a slight "clunk" noise when braking, right around 19-20MPH.

I'm thinking it is the driveline disconnect re-engaging the rear wheels, because when I set the gauge cluster display to show the engagement and torque vectoring of the AWD system, the noise correlates to when the driveline is engaged and re-engaged on the display. When I put the car in sport mode, which forces AWD all the time, the noise does not happen on deceleration/braking.

It mostly happens during deceleration/braking, but only occasionally during acceleration, right as the display indicates power has been cut from the rear wheels (as I've gotten up to speed).

I took it to a Toyota dealership but the Techs there acted like it was a spaceship that they had never seen before since it is so new, and had no idea it even had rear driveline disconnect, or what that even was. They said it didn't sound "bad" but admitted they heard the noise too.

At the end of the day, I guess I'm asking "Does anyone else's Adventure or Limited with the AWD make a slight clunk noise when braking around 19-20 mph?"
Mine does. It's 2019 rav4 limited. I just noticed this couple days ago. When the odo reached 1000 km. I didn't notice it before.
post #3 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a 2019 Adventure with about 1,800 miles on it. I listened closely for a noise when it was new as it seems like it should be noticeable when it engages. I wasn't able to detect anything. There is so much snow now & the roads are so bumpy that I don't know if I could tell if something developed in the last 1,000 miles or so. With regards to Sport mode - I am pretty sure it still disconnects under low-load conditions. I'll have to double check.

I'm really liking the vehicle, although the current tires (Toyo) don't have the greatest traction. My wife got stuck in a spot that she didn't think she should have. She was disappointed that the Rav4 didn't perform as well as a Kia Sorento with studded snow tires that happened to be there also. It was in a remote area - luckily there was someone to push her out. It will definitely be getting Snow Tires next year & possibly new wheels also. I suspect that will make a huge difference.

post #4 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I tried to hear the disconnect noise but haven't heard it yet. Lots of snow here so the tires are a bit noisy on it. But now knowing the speed, I'll try to look out for it on the drive home. Just look for the rear axle highlight to go away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinhelena View Post

I'm really liking the vehicle, although the current tires (Toyo) don't have the greatest traction. My wife got stuck in a spot that she didn't think she should have. She was disappointed that the Rav4 didn't perform as well as a Kia Sorento with studded snow tires that happened to be there also. It was in a remote area - luckily there was someone to push her out. It will definitely be getting Snow Tires next year & possibly new wheels also. I suspect that will make a huge difference.

The Toyos are ok when driving slow, but I had to get winters tires because they simply could not corner or stop once the roads got iced over. I downgraded to a 17inch wheels/tires and they made a HUGE difference. The Toyos were decent on snow which was surprising. Hopefully they make a good summer tire.
post #5 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Everyone please watch out for this. While driving tonight the clunk has turned into a clunk coupled with a grinding noise when accellerating when the rear driveline disconnects. I have it scheduled to take to dealership. Will update.
post #6 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
With regards to what to look for, yes, look for the rear drive axle to go dark when accellerating, unfortunately I hear the clunk greater when slowing, but if you take your foot off the accelerator and apply the brake, everything on the AWD display goes dark. I've narrowed it down because if I hit the gas right after I hear the clunk while braking, all wheels light up on the display as getting power. If I brake and hit the acellerator before I hear the clunk, it still only shows the front as lit up and engaged. That's whats leading me to think the clunk is that driveline disconnect mechanism.
post #7 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Doesn't anyone know the mechanics of the disconnect? I'm guessing it's a clutch pack?
post #8 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I read it was a "ratcheting dog clutch" on some review.
post #9 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
I'm no mechanic and I don't have the new transmission(have XLE Premium), but we used to have a clunk issue with our 13 4runner. The driveshaft was 2 piece design and it would contract and expand as needed. Sometimes it'd stick and clunk when accelerating off the line and we never got a reason, repair or good explanation from Toyota about it. It periodically was so strong it felt like someone tapped the rear of the truck.
post #10 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Thanked 1,065 Times in 885 Posts
Garage
The '19 Rav4 DTV is FWD biased and isn't anything like a '13 4Runner which was RWD biased. Here's Toyota's description and graphic of how DTV works.

https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/powertrain2018/4wd/

FWIW, I'm hoping these sounds are normal and not problematic of the new DTV system, I wanted a Limited trim to begin with, would have gone with a Limited HV had it been available, I had the option to get a Limited gas model if I waited a week, but I am apprehensive of the DTV system since it's entirely new for the Rav4, so I chose to go with the XLE Premium which has all of the nice features I wanted in the Limited, sans the DTV and its possible problems.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page