First oil change - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTooTall View Post
It doesn't hurt to service your vehicle sooner. I'm a Toyota tech and change the oil and rotate tires every 5000 miles. When it comes to my personal vehicles I always do services earlier then what the manufacturer recommends.

Yes - I've had a change of heart. Old-School ways got the better of me. Especially since I started thinking about the type of oil this thing uses. 0/w16

2019 Lunar Rock Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I always do the first oil change about 1000 miles. Toyota doesn't specify this but it's on the list of how to break in a new car which I learned from my father 60 years ago. Toyota still recommends everything else on that list: vary the speed, no rapid acceleration, keep the max speed down, no towing. Supposedly, new engines are run for quite a while before even being installed, eliminating the accumulation of micro-metal shavings from new, tight parts wearing in. But why not be safe, an oil change is not rocket science especially if, as Quickdtoo points out elsewhere, the 2019 Rav4 filter is a cannister versus the cartridge on my 2011 Highlander.* The only downside is a bit of environmental waste but, since I'm going with the hybrid, I'll not feel guilty! And, this is only once per car.

* Cartridge filters are messier to deal with but I'm sympatico with the intent of less waste."California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery reported if all of the spin-on filters sold annually in California were recycled, there’d be enough steel to build three large sports stadiums." Jeez!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpedit View Post
I always do the first oil change about 1000 miles. Toyota doesn't specify this but it's on the list of how to break in a new car which I learned from my father 60 years ago. Toyota still recommends everything else on that list: vary the speed, no rapid acceleration, keep the max speed down, no towing. Supposedly, new engines are run for quite a while before even being installed, eliminating the accumulation of micro-metal shavings from new, tight parts wearing in. But why not be safe, an oil change is not rocket science especially if, as Quickdtoo points out elsewhere, the 2019 Rav4 filter is a cannister versus the cartridge on my 2011 Highlander.* The only downside is a bit of environmental waste but, since I'm going with the hybrid, I'll not feel guilty! And, this is only once per car.

* Cartridge filters are messier to deal with but I'm sympatico with the intent of less waste."California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery reported if all of the spin-on filters sold annually in California were recycled, there’d be enough steel to build three large sports stadiums." Jeez!

I see this as a simple CYA type of a process. Not really necessary but I do it anyway. It gives me a chance to look around from underneath and familiarize myself with it. And boy am I glad to hear its a canister versus a cartridge. My mother in laws Camry is a canister and man, I hate that thing. I also hope the filter is vertically mounted so you can prefill it as well.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
2011 Hyundai Sonata Ltd (to be replaced)
The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (04-15-2019)

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Why vertical mount filter vs Horizontal ? Wouldn't it fill up anyway if it is horizontal ?

QUOTE=Colonel;2688809]I see this as a simple CYA type of a process. Not really necessary but I do it anyway. It gives me a chance to look around from underneath and familiarize myself with it. And boy am I glad to hear its a canister versus a cartridge. My mother in laws Camry is a canister and man, I hate that thing. I also hope the filter is vertically mounted so you can prefill it as well.[/QUOTE]
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Lofano View Post
Why vertical mount filter vs Horizontal ? Wouldn't it fill up anyway if it is horizontal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
I see this as a simple CYA type of a process. Not really necessary but I do it anyway. It gives me a chance to look around from underneath and familiarize myself with it. And boy am I glad to hear its a canister versus a cartridge. My mother in laws Camry is a canister and man, I hate that thing. I also hope the filter is vertically mounted so you can prefill it as well.

Might be a misrepresentation on my part. If the "hole" of the filter is facing up to mount to the engine, taking your time you can prefill and have it soak in (allows more oil in it), then you can install it without making a huge mess. To me this is vertical.

Horizontal to me is if the "hole" of the filter is facing left or right when you install it. Meaning if you prefilled it, some would run out and make a mess.
The above is a discussion prior to installing a new filter during an oil change versus during operation.

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Garage
Filter looks closer to horizontal than vertical to me, so topping off the filter before install doesn't seem very likely, maybe half fill.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/195...-4-2019-a.html

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Question

Yes, I got that if you would pre-fill the filter it would make a mess ! But, In my previous SUV the filter was mounted side-ways and I would never pre-fill it because of exactly that, making a mess. So to avoid making a mess, I would put the filter on dry (not pre-filling it). I am curious to know if having a side-mounted filter and not being able to pre-fill it, would it cause damage to the engine long term ? Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Might be a misrepresentation on my part. If the "hole" of the filter is facing up to mount to the engine, taking your time you can prefill and have it soak in (allows more oil in it), then you can install it without making a huge mess. To me this is vertical.

Horizontal to me is if the "hole" of the filter is facing left or right when you install it. Meaning if you prefilled it, some would run out and make a mess.
The above is a discussion prior to installing a new filter during an oil change versus during operation.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I got that if you would pre-fill the filter it would make a mess ! But, In my previous SUV the filter was mounted side-ways and I would never pre-fill it because of exactly that, making a mess. So to avoid making a mess, I would put the filter on dry (not pre-filling it). I am curious to know if having a side-mounted filter and not being able to pre-fill it, would it cause damage to the engine long term ? Thanks for your input.

No, I don't think it would cause any harm. Its more of an OCD type thing.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmb2003 View Post
The manual also says you should do an oil change at 5K if you did a lot of short trips/cold starts etc. So hopefully, you can try to get the dealer to do it based on that.
The dealer will do whatever you ask, but the free Toyotacare service includes only two oil changes, whether it's 10k/20k or 5k/10k.

Used oil analysis has confirmed that 10k is fine (for those who have had their oil tested), but the extended intervals increase the importance of distance *OR* time.
Vehicles that are only occasionally driven and driven for short trips without getting up to full operating temperature need more frequent changes to eliminate moisture and combustion acids that are normally boiled off during longer trips.
My wife's '15 has only 30k on it, but I did, IIRC, the 5th oil change 3 months ago. OTOH, my '16 Corolla has 75k on it and I did its 8th oil change at 73,000.
She does get it up to full operating temp for a 60 mile trip a couple of times a month, so I'm not overly concerned, but there are a lot of "grocery getters" out there that might need their oil changed at 2500 miles simply based on time and conditions.

-- Rich
2015 Rav4 XLE, 2016 Corolla S-Premium

The Following User Says Thank You to CB91710 For This Useful Post:
dcmb2003 (04-15-2019)
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I am curious to know if having a side-mounted filter and not being able to pre-fill it, would it cause damage to the engine long term ? Thanks for your input.
Quote:
No, I don't think it would cause any harm. Its more of an OCD type thing.

Well I'm not a mechanic. And I don't know how the oil system works on this vehicle . But: The theory is that prefilling the filter alleviates some of the time it takes for the filter to fill itself and then start lubing the system. There are many discussions on this theory from numerous forums. In my opinion, there is a benefit from being able to prefill the filter. I "CAN" notice a difference by the way an engine sound when prefilling or not prefilling on other vehicles I've owned. And I have done A-LOT of oil changes. I always start the engine after the change to allow the oil to "level out" before I add the final amount. I always hear that "Dry Lifter" sound when the filter is installed dry.

2019 Lunar Rock Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page