First oil change - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenixFord View Post
Well I'm not a mechanic. And I don't know how the oil system works on this vehicle . But: The theory is that prefilling the filter alleviates some of the time it takes for the filter to fill itself and then start lubing the system. There are many discussions on this theory from numerous forums. In my opinion, there is a benefit from being able to prefill the filter. I "CAN" notice a difference by the way an engine sound when prefilling or not prefilling on other vehicles I've owned. And I have done A-LOT of oil changes. I always start the engine after the change to allow the oil to "level out" before I add the final amount. I always hear that "Dry Lifter" sound when the filter is installed dry.

Understood. But I don't think there is a test that proves how much/or additional wear is caused. It certainly wont cause your motor to grenade. I didn't want to cause panic by saying "wear can occur". Its just my bet its not a whole lot because how much cling is left on the parts before a fresh supply of oil comes through the oil filter is a second or two but its not completely raw. There is a film on the parts. How much and how much protection and what not is certainly debatable but as I mentioned above, I have never read a specific test on it so its speculation to me.

To me its just good sense if you can do it (vertically mounted). I have been doing it for decades.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
2011 Hyundai Sonata Ltd (to be replaced)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Just an FYI

I did find the 0w/16 Mobil 1 oil at Walmart. However, after extensive searching on the internet for a filter, I was unable to find an aftermarket equivalent. So, I purchased 2 filters from my local Service Department. I was shocked to learn that they are less than $6 a piece. And come with an O-ring for the drain plug. I was also shocked at the fiscal size of the filter. Smaller than the filter on my John Deer mower.

2019 Lunar Rock Adventure
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenixFord View Post
Just an FYI

I did find the 0w/16 Mobil 1 oil at Walmart. However, after extensive searching on the internet for a filter, I was unable to find an aftermarket equivalent. So, I purchased 2 filters from my local Service Department. I was shocked to learn that they are less than $6 a piece. And come with an O-ring for the drain plug. I was also shocked at the fiscal size of the filter. Smaller than the filter on my John Deer mower.

Ours has not started stocking it yet. I would be curious to the physical specs (total media square) and bypass pressue. I always like to oversize my cans if there is physical space at the mounting point (another good thing about a vertically mounted filter).

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:10 AM
wbw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Lofano View Post
Yes, I got that if you would pre-fill the filter it would make a mess ! But, In my previous SUV the filter was mounted side-ways and I would never pre-fill it because of exactly that, making a mess. So to avoid making a mess, I would put the filter on dry (not pre-filling it). I am curious to know if having a side-mounted filter and not being able to pre-fill it, would it cause damage to the engine long term ? Thanks for your input.
I doubt that there would be any measurable wear over the life of the car. It's usually just a few seconds before the 'oil light' goes out when starting the car after an oil change.

The guys at the dealer or any oil change place aren't going to prefill a filter.

When I had horizontally oriented filters, I would prefill as much as I could. Put a little oil in and slowly rotate the filter so that it soaks into the media. Then do it again. Then I would add enough so that I could see oil in the filter when horizontal, but not enough to spill out. Then be careful to keep it horizontal when connecting to the engine. It's not as good as a complete fill like on a vertical, but it's the best you can do.

I wouldn't worry about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbw For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (04-18-2019), Colonel (04-17-2019)
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I did the first oil change on my 2019 Adventure @ 3800 miles. It was easy. There is a plastic panel that must be removed (4-screws). I used a metal filter wrench that I bought from NAPA (it also fits the canister filter on my 2017 4Runner). I bought the oil from Toyota - it was similar in price to Valvoline 0W-16. I torqued the sump plug to 30 ft-lb & used my own judgement on the filter. I'll use my first free dealer oil change just before 10,000 miles. I will comment that much of the undercarriage is covered with thin plastic panels (aerodynamics?). It seems advisable to be mindful of these panels if driving in rocky areas as I doubt they would survive much of an impact.
The Following User Says Thank You to hereinhelena For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (04-18-2019)
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw View Post
I doubt that there would be any measurable wear over the life of the car. It's usually just a few seconds before the 'oil light' goes out when starting the car after an oil change. .

I'm not sure that I would go so far as to say unmeasurable when the difference in sound IS measurable? Long Term - it could mean the difference between burning 1 Qt of oil VS 1/2 Qt of oil. I don't know that it does? But a small difference is still better than none at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw View Post
The guys at the dealer or any oil change place aren't going to prefill a filter.

I wouldn't worry about it.

The guy makes $10 / Hr. Need I say more?

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
It's a vey small sample, but I've observed hundreds of oil changes at a local Dodge dealership and have never seen a lube tech NOT pre-fill the oil filter.

2019 XLE Premium AWD, Lunar Rock with Nutmeg SofTex Interior.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Depends if you use synthetic or not. Some will argue there is no difference, but I've had zero issues changing oil at 8000 miles with it for the past 20 years on my Toyotas.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

I do my own oil changes so the cost of Syn versus blend/Conv makes no nevermind to me. Both my cars have had a permanent diet of Syn. Syn has shown to be able to tolerate more mileage. However filters still need changed as it kicks bypass valves. And if you fall under severe usage; follow it.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
I do my own oil changes so the cost of Syn versus blend/Conv makes no nevermind to me. Both my cars have had a permanent diet of Syn. Syn has shown to be able to tolerate more mileage. However filters still need changed as it kicks bypass valves. And if you fall under severe usage; follow it.

Can't remember who it was, someone told me in a different thread that you will not find anything but full synthetic in the weights that we need. IDK?

I'm also skeptical of the 10,000 mile oil change intervals. Changing sooner is cheep insurance.

The Following User Says Thank You to PhenixFord For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (04-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page