Would like to do my own maintenance, what do I need ??? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Would like to do my own maintenance, what do I need ???

OK will like to do my own maintenance so what do I need ???

One : Car ramps, can someone recommend a brand or type ???
Two : Car jack, how many "tons" should I buy ???
Three : Jack stands, what do I need to know about them ???
Four : Tools, that I have in metric is that OK or should I get Standard US measurements ???
Five : Catch pan and funnels, ok I have those !!!

Anything else I should know and get, just planing head, presently have about 500km.

Thanks for you helps.

2019 Rav4 LE AWD Silver Sky Metallic, came with 3KM ODO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:06 PM
wbw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Hey Andre.
I have a set of plastic ramps made by Davric Corporation that I've had for at least 10 years now and they haven't killed me yet I don't recall what weight they're rated for but when I bought them I'm pretty sure that I made sure that the rating exceeded what I needed. Remember that none of these tools are going to be holding the entire weight of the vehicle. They're just holding one corner usually.

My floor jack that I use to tire work is rated for 3 tons, or 6000 lbs. I also have jack stands. Don't remember what they're rated for. Just use common sense and buy something that exceeds what you think a corner, or even half of the car weighs.

Can't tell you whether metric or American. Someone else here may be able to tell you, or worse case, get your ramps and raise the car up and see if your metric socket fits the oil plug.

My only other advice would be concerning the ramps. Years ago I had metal ramps which would probably give one more confidence than plastic ramps. My metal ramps though were very smooth which sometimes made a problem trying to get the car up on them. The front drive wheels would slip. Now if your AWD activates every time you start from a stop, then that would help because not all of the power is being applied to the front and the rears are pushing. Anyway, I don't even know if they still sell metal ramps (since everything is made out of plastic nowadays) but if they do, be aware that a smooth metal surface on the ramps could leave you slipping when trying to get up the incline. My plastic ramps have a surface that is not smooth.

That's all I can tell you for now. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to wbw For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (05-14-2019)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I may be speaking too soon but I never needed to jack my Highlander for an oil change. I suspect, with the improved clearance, it won't be needed here either. But I'm a small guy (physically!). However, that all changes if you are going to perform your own tire rotations. I'm a big DYI guy but not that. Tire stores in my area will do that for free expecting your future business. I suspect I'll be more than welcome at the place I've spent $2000 in tires over the last few years, America's Tires. Les Schwab also has this policy.

I suspect the oil drain plug is 17 mm, was on my last two Toyotas. You'll need an oil filter wrench. Oil drain pan. Funnel. Paper towels. Recycled plastic bottles for the used oil. Perhaps a 10 mm socket to unfasten bolts in the cowling to access the filter.

If you're driving a non-hybrid AWD in dusty/severe condition you'll need to tighten propeller shaft bolts, I don't know the size. Most everthing else in a "tune-up" these days is simply visual inspection. A few other items need tending under these conditions. But note that these need only be done if the bulk of your driving was under these conditions, 20 miles down a gravel road between maintenance does not qualify.

I do all my own work sans the typical Toyota freebies. Look through the maintenance manual to see what's in store.

DO KEEP RECORDS, hand written, in the maintenance manual.
The Following User Says Thank You to bpedit For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 PM

OK, addendum. I went under my Rav4 today and it was tight. I can still probably execute an oil change without ramps but may laminate a couple sections of 2x12 to drive up on. There are 4 10 mm screws to remove the cowling, passenger side panel marked with a big "1". Still looks to be a 17 mm drain plug, I forgot to verify.
The Following User Says Thank You to bpedit For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpedit View Post
OK, addendum. I whet under my Rav4 today and it was tight. I can still probably execute an oil change without ramps but may laminate a couple sections of 2x12 to drive up on. There are 4 10 mm screws to remove the cowling, passenger side panel marked with a big "1". Still looks to be a 17 mm drain plug, I forgot to verify.

Just wondering if Andre's car has a spin-off type oil filter.
Ott.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ott. For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott. View Post
Ott.
He's been contributing frequently so, assuming he's in the right place, yes. It's just a tiny guy. It would be a challange to remove with the typical friction wrench, probably requires a large socket-like tool that cups over the end. Other than that it's quite accessible versus reaching in past axles, hoses and what not.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I tried to get under the Rav4 without lifting and I was not able, not even clearance, which disappoints me because my previous SUV I was able to get under without lifting. My wife told me to lose weight.

I was also thinking of maybe some lo profile ramps (+ or - 3 inches) or a pair of2Xsomething wood could do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpedit View Post
OK, addendum. I went under my Rav4 today and it was tight. I can still probably execute an oil change without ramps but may laminate a couple sections of 2x12 to drive up on. There are 4 10 mm screws to remove the cowling, passenger side panel marked with a big "1". Still looks to be a 17 mm drain plug, I forgot to verify.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I did not check but I am under the impression that they are all spin-off oil filters. Hope I right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott. View Post
Ott.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
You should only need the wrench for the first removal of the filter that the arm wrestling gorillas installed at the factory. When you install the filter it should be gasket mate plus 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Even if you do a full turn you should still be able to remove it by hand.

I find that I struggle with cup/socket type filter removals. For whatever reason I tend to "strip" the knurled ends and it just spins. I use the one posted below to get them off. My Fusion oil filter is in a tight spot where a typical strap wrench (rubber based) wont work either. This one allowed me to get the strap up by the mounting plate to get the torque necessary without crushing the can.

And document as bpedit states. Put receipts in a folder, document in manual mileage and date. I also keep a spreadsheet for all my car related items from fuelups, maint and so forth to track my per mile costs.

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-3149-Ny...ateway&sr=8-33

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
2011 Hyundai Sonata Ltd (to be replaced)
The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
This is what I have ...

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5866-1...45RVWH13KVH44P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
You should only need the wrench for the first removal of the filter that the arm wrestling gorillas installed at the factory. When you install the filter it should be gasket mate plus 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Even if you do a full turn you should still be able to remove it by hand.

I find that I struggle with cup/socket type filter removals. For whatever reason I tend to "strip" the knurled ends and it just spins. I use the one posted below to get them off. My Fusion oil filter is in a tight spot where a typical strap wrench (rubber based) wont work either. This one allowed me to get the strap up by the mounting plate to get the torque necessary without crushing the can.

And document as bpedit states. Put receipts in a folder, document in manual mileage and date. I also keep a spreadsheet for all my car related items from fuelups, maint and so forth to track my per mile costs.

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-3149-Ny...ateway&sr=8-33
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (135.7 KB, 3 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement