Minimum Wheel Size, Hubcaps Really? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
JLM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Minimum Wheel Size, Hubcaps Really?

The 2019 RAV4 LE now comes with hubcaps on 17" wheels. Unbelievable, Toyota decided to put these on a $30K vehicle. On a Yaris maybe, but not at this price point.

And ironically, the Adventure has 19" rims which actually reduces the off-road performance the model is supposed to be geared more towards - I guess they're looking for an uninformed adventurer that likes getting flat tires.

I like the LE and don't need a higher grade, but I do need wheels without hubcaps - it's a requirement of life itself.
For me, more tire is better than more rim. (Better ride, better off road, less pimp)

I want to know if 16" wheels will fit on the 5th Gens. On some models (i.e. 4Runner) the caliper / brake disk assembly doesn't have enough clearance to go to 1" smaller rims.

Will 16" wheels fit? Anybody know or done it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, 16" wheels will fit. I asked the same question recently, and found and was shown several examples of folks who have put 16" rims on. It seems 30.1" tires are the largest that will fit without any trimming; 30.6" tires (the approximate next size up from 30.1) will fit generally, but maybe with some mild rubbing during daily driving, and definitely with articulation).

I will be throwing on some 16" rims with 30.1" tires (255/70r16, or 30.1") at some point in the near future.

By my measurements, 15" rims would definitely hit the strut mounts, if not also the calipers. We share a preference for more sidewall, but I think 16" is the smallest we can do without some moderate(grinding the strut mount)-to-significant(modifying the brakes) modification.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a 2019 LE as well and am considering finding the alloy XLE rims for mine. Went to the dealer and they told me I could switch the tires from one to the other. The only issue is that apparently they use different threadings or something for the TPMS sensors which apparently will require all new ones to make the switch.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion7319 View Post
I have a 2019 LE as well and am considering finding the alloy XLE rims for mine. Went to the dealer and they told me I could switch the tires from one to the other. The only issue is that apparently they use different threadings or something for the TPMS sensors which apparently will require all new ones to make the switch.
They are trying to take you for a ride. The size and installation method for TPMS sensors have been an industry standard for autos for well over 15 years. The only differences are what frequency they operate on.

If you go to a tire shop and get a new set of rims and tires, they simply remove the TPMS from your old rims and install them in the new ones.

Have a good day.

2013 Rav4 XLE w/All Front and Rear LED Lighting
LED DRL @ Fog Light w/Europen rear bumper lighting and Rapid Flash third brake light
Premium H3000 slotted & drilled rotors w/Hybrid ceramic/metallic pads

It's all about seeing, being seen and stopping!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulday View Post
They are trying to take you for a ride. The size and installation method for TPMS sensors have been an industry standard for autos for well over 15 years. The only differences are what frequency they operate on.

If you go to a tire shop and get a new set of rims and tires, they simply remove the TPMS from your old rims and install them in the new ones.

Have a good day.
Cool! I think itís more the case that the guy working the counter didnít quite seem to know what he was talking about. One thing I would wonder about though is that if you change your ride height, would the camera and radar for the safety system need to be recalibrated. I know that going to the XLE wheels shouldnít require it, but if I wanted to get bigger wheels and tires would that be the case?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
JLM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

The XLE Rims are nice, but they are 17" not 16" as desired.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM View Post
The XLE Rims are nice, but they are 17" not 16" as desired.

Apparently..... wonder how much this would set you back!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tswall...n/photostream/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
JLM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Apparently..... wonder how much this would set you back!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tswall...n/photostream/
Good find, that's what the Adventure model should be stock. Otherwise I don't know what you're paying for, fender flares?

About $1,500 - $2,000 on TireRack for that setup, but it can be done for about $1,200 with less expensive tires.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM View Post
Good find, that's what the Adventure model should be stock. Otherwise I don't know what you're paying for, fender flares?

About $1,500 - $2,000 on TireRack for that setup, but it can be done for about $1,200 with less expensive tires.

Yeah that is a cool setup isnít it? I had just googled ď2019 rav4 black rhino wheelsĒ and my mind was blown. I am thinking about going that route myself, but a few things are holding me back. #1 I can get the XLE rims and keep my existing tires for probably around $600.00 or so if I look hard enough online. #2 Iím not sure what that will do to my fuel economy. I have only had my car for 8 days at this point and I have already put over 500 miles on it. I have a crazy commute, so not sure how practical that would be for me personally.... all I know is the only thing I donít like about my LE is the rims. I have the optional blind spot monitoring mirrors and all weather floor mats, so I got all the extras I wanted minus the wheels. Anyway keep us posted on the route you take with the rims and tires. Iím curious to see what you end up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page