Potential First Time Toyota Owner - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I see most people are not for buying the 2018. Personally I purchased the 2018 because I did not want a 1st year 2019 model, this also from experience. I bought a 2011 Honda the year before a new model came out and never regretted it.

I am very happy with the 2018 RAV4. I've had it for about 2 months and did not have to go back to the dealer to fix anything! However, if navigation is important to you, skip Toyota altogether. Entune is not very good. I see Carplay will be available next year, but I don't know if it will be free or on a subscription basis. I probably will change to a 3rd party headunit if they don't include Carplay/Android Auto for free on Entune. You will not be able to change headunit on a 2019.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcoul View Post
I test drove a 2019 Subaru Forester Sport today and I was really impressed. But, because most of my driving is short 3 mile around town trips and the future maintenance/expense of carbon build with their DI motor, it's a deal breaker for me.

I hope the 2019 RAV4 is available soon because my 1997 Ford F150 is on it's last leg.
Regarding the Subaru, if you are thinking of an automatic - I hear that's a vehicle to stay away from.
The Subaru design doesn't stand up too well... the manual is ok.

I also agree with concerns on Direct Injection. The only DI I would buy is if the engine has dual injection. Direct and then another injector on the intake to clean the valves.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm also looking at the 2019 RAV4, but have a question regarding Toyota's Direct Shift-8AT. Apparently this is the same transmission as in the Camry and there have been reports of very rough shifting and lots of problems with the tranny constantly trying to find the correct gear. Anybody have any input on this issue and should I be concerned?

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes I have heard the same in regards to the Camry
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomel View Post
I'm also looking at the 2019 RAV4, but have a question regarding Toyota's Direct Shift-8AT. Apparently this is the same transmission as in the Camry and there have been reports of very rough shifting and lots of problems with the tranny constantly trying to find the correct gear. Anybody have any input on this issue and should I be concerned?
I did a test drive of the new Camry about 10 months ago. It was constantly hunting gears, and the down shifting on acceleration was grotesquely harsh.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcoul View Post
New member here and potential first time Toyota buyer, I'm considering buying a new 2018 RAV4 XLE AWD. The Minneapolis area dealer is offering a total of 4.5k discount (includes 2.5k Toyota offer) on this car.
Is this a good price or should I wait until November to see if Toyota increases the 2.5k discount offer?

Also, I'm interested to see if the 2019 model would be worth the wait and price increase? Does Toyota/dealers typically offer any discounts on new models? I'm also a member of Costco and they may offer some discount.
What you can do is wait until there are 2019ís on the lot. There will most likely be 2018ís left in order to compare the two. Discounts are good now. Eventually there will be incentives with the 2019ís. The two donít even look related with the redesign. I recently purchased a new 2018 RAV4 Hybrid SE and love it! Basically the standard equipped and NO Navigation. I didnít want it and like having a CD player. I do like the hybrid cvt transmission over the six speed in the gas powered RAV4. My significant other has a 2017 XLE 2WD.

Personally I like the shark nose, my 2015 Corolla LE Eco has the same shark nose.

No vehicle is perfect. Buy what you think will be right for you.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Thanked 1,066 Times in 886 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomel View Post
Do some research, there was a TSB issued for shift issues, I've been monitoring the TN 8th gen forum, transmission issues seem to be a thing of the past after the software update for those having the issue and/or the transmission ECU learns driving habits, it also only happened on certain production, others have not had any issues.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8...installed.html

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I saw the TSB during my research. However, I also saw the following: Take a look at the NHTSA web site at:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/TOYOTA/CAMRY

Go to near the bottom where it says 93 Complaints for 2018 Toyota Camry and click on Power Train (32)

The dates on some of these complaints are very recent, well after the TSB was issued. Is this a different problem or maybe the original problem was not completely resolved? Also, am I correct that the new gas-powered 2019 RAV4 will have this same transmission?

I realize that all cars have some problem or another, especially with the significant advances in technology. However, I'll take an infotainment center issue over a trans or engine issue any day. Just want to make sure I'm going in with my eyes wide open since the changes in the 2019 RAV4 make me want to overlook any problems and just buy it!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I bought the last model year of the 2nd gen RAV4, a 2005 L, and love it. One reason I still own my 2005 is that it was the last year with a manual tranny.

I am a believer that the last year of a generation is in most cases the most refined and reliable of that generation, and for that reason, I think a 2018 will be a solid choice and priced to sell. How long you should wait to get every discount possible is a gamble. Yes, the prices will continue to go down as the 2019 becomes available, but your selection of colors or model LE, XLE, SE, etc, will become problematic.

Also look at the style of the new 2019. It's a distinctive change that some of us will like, but others may like the current gen. Also what new features are coming with the 2019s? For me, I am not a big fan of more electronics, as that seems to be more things that can fail or break or more costly to fix. And normally I would avoid the first year of a new gen, although less so with Toyotas and especially IF it were made in Japan.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I do like the Rav4 in white, but I saw a thread about peeling white paint. Is Toyota still having this issue with +2018 paint, or is this an issue that takes years to develop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page