Potential First Time Toyota Owner - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Potential First Time Toyota Owner

New member here and potential first time Toyota buyer, I'm considering buying a new 2018 RAV4 XLE AWD. The Minneapolis area dealer is offering a total of 4.5k discount (includes 2.5k Toyota offer) on this car.
Is this a good price or should I wait until November to see if Toyota increases the 2.5k discount offer?

Also, I'm interested to see if the 2019 model would be worth the wait and price increase? Does Toyota/dealers typically offer any discounts on new models? I'm also a member of Costco and they may offer some discount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It would be absolutely not worth it to buy the outgoing model with the new model weeks away. If you're going to buy the 2018, why not just buy a used example in good condition? It's the same design all the way back several years. The new model is better in every way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamendex For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (05-11-2019)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:25 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,797 Posts
Garage
I can tell you from experience that if you buy the 2018, you will be kicking yourself for years to come for not getting the 2019.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
2019 has the new engine (that is in use on the Camry), better MPG and more power!
The Following User Says Thank You to phwang7 For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phwang7 View Post
2019 has the new engine (that is in use on the Camry), better MPG and more power!
Yes , but the old model will be cheaper. Also very reliable with the old technology. I can't think of any other reasons to buy the old model. I agree wait pay more and buy the new stuff. it will be more exciting maybe better in long run but I doubt it. But I going to wait a month or two., and go with the new tech.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fslaugts For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Just joined, wanted to see what people are saying about this new model. I am interested in a fully equipped AWD Adventure model, just sold my BMW last week and I'm driving my daughters Accord until she gets back from college, next May (2019). So I plan to but around April, after the hoopla has died down and I can read/check out the real world reviews!

I would NOT buy the out going model for any price, I really like all the new features the 2019 has, including the added HP, 8spd tranny, 800watt Stereo, the new Safety features and the camera-rear view mirror, this will be my new camping/fishing/exploring vehicle for many years to come, as long as it lives up to it's hype...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Has there been any issues with the new 2.5L dual injection motor and 8 speed transmission used in the latest Camry?

It would make me feel more confident in buying the 2019 Rav4 if any issues with the new drive train has already been worked out.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Personally, I have no interest in the 2018 or older model years. Which is exactly why I never bought one. Discounting the price on a new 18MY RAV4 still doesnt change the boring styling, cheap interior, smaller cabin, avg fuel economy, weak 4cyl engine or seriously outdated infotainment system.

What attracts me to the 19MY RAV4 is all the above issues have received some pretty serious upgrades. For the first time the RAV4 actually looks masculine, almost like a mini-4Runner. The new powertrain adds an extra 30HP, 8spd transmission and advanced AWD which will seriously increase acceleration, MPG and traction in all conditions. Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 is standard on the 19MY and adds things like Adaptive Cruise Control that now works all the way down to a complete stop (0mph) and will be much more useful on long commutes or trips where traffic is stop and go. The same could be said for the updated Lane Keeping Assist which keeps the vehicle better centered in a lane, instead of ping-pong bouncing between lane markers.

But one of the biggest announcements for me is Toyota finally allowing CarPlay & Android Auto. Toyota's resistance to add those technologies, while sticking with the horrible Entune Infotainment system is a big reason why I lost interest for years (same could be said for Lexus horrible infotainment system). Entune is now up to version 3.0 but still pretty much sucks (read the reviews of the 2018 Camry). But more importantly I refuse to buy a new $35,000 car and then need to add a $10 smartphone mount to the windshield because thats the only way to use Waze on my commute. Im always amazed and the number of $50,000+ vehicles I pass on my commute that have an iPhone or Android mounted in the dash using a smartphone GPS app. Its proof of how poor most factory NAV/GPS/infotainment systems are and Entune is one of the worst. Even proud Tesla Model 3 owners still have to mount "dash of shame" smartphone in their vehicles to use Waze. Waze is the only GPS that shows cops, speed cameras, hazards in real time and is 100% crowd sourced. Its a must have for my commute and Im glad Toyota is finally allowing me to use it with the factory touchscreen.

As far as any extra discounts you'd get on a '18MY RAV4, dont forget after the initial rush of early adopters.. the '19MY RAV4 will receive its own share of discounts. Even those first in line to buy can find plenty of ways to buy at or below invoice pricing. Just use a dedicated car-buying service like Costco or TrueCar. Nobody should pay MSRP. Do your homework, compare all the features of new generation and buy the vehicle that fits your needs and wants. I imagine alot of people who think they are getting a great deal on a '18MY will have some serious buyers remorse the first time they see/ride in a '19MY. Its a significant difference in every category.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post
But one of the biggest announcements for me is Toyota finally allowing CarPlay & Android Auto.
Hopefully RAV4 2020 will get Android Auto cause as it stands now MY 2019 is gonna have Apple CarPlay only.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I test drove a 2019 Subaru Forester Sport today and I was really impressed. But, because most of my driving is short 3 mile around town trips and the future maintenance/expense of carbon build with their DI motor, it's a deal breaker for me.

I hope the 2019 RAV4 is available soon because my 1997 Ford F150 is on it's last leg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page