2019 RAV4 XLE PREMIUM-TEST DRIVE- I'M OUT - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 2019 RAV4 XLE PREMIUM-TEST DRIVE- I'M OUT

Let me star by saying that I love cars and safety is a priority on my car search. AND by no means do I claim to be an expert, I'm just a regular driver.
This is a forum and I'm gonna mention the reason I'm won't be buying a 2019 Rav4 now, maybe a 2022.

I own a 2017 CX5 and a 2018 CRV. I also test drove a 2019 Subaru Forester, a 2019 KIA Sportage SX Turbo (different animal) and a 2018 Hyundai Tucson with the 1.6 turbo engine. I'm currently waiting to drive the new Mazda CX5 with the turbo.

This is not a review, is just my observations of things I disliked about the Rav4. The things I disliked about the Rav4 might not be a problem for other people but they are to me.
I hope you use the information below when you take a Rav4 for a road test. Those things may not bother you, and that's OK.

Before I took the road test I saw a great review from Redline reviews on youtube (great review) so I focused on things that weren't covered on that review. Link to that excellent review video below.

Just let me mention that I think it is very important to anyone spending over $35K on a vehicle, in fact in any vehicle without taking a long drive, at least a 30 minute drive, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT, trust me on that. Most of the salesman will might complain about it but hey, it is your money. Unless you're OK with a two mile drive, go ahead. Again, I'm not a professional nor do I claimed to be one, just observations. Don't be surprised if the salesman push to hurry up in buy the vehicle because they are flying out of the dealership like hot cake (well in a way they are).

I just drove the model I was waiting for and ready to buy till I drove one, a XLE Premium trim.

The insulation needs a lot of improvement and must likely will be improve for the revision on the 2022 model. I drove the 2019 Forester, 2018 CRV and 2018 Mazda CX5 and by far the best is the one on the Mazda CX5.
You can hear the engine really loud as you give gas, specially when merging in the highway. It reminded me of the 2019 Forester's engine, very loud.
The road on the highway is new but I still was hearing the wind and road noise. I'm not sure if the tires had a lot to do with it.
The Rav4 I drove didn't have the interior hood insulation or the Stop/Go System either, I think only AWD models have it but not sure.

The Radio (JBL) was the best on the Rav4 BUT, BUT, I couldn't enjoy it because at speeds of 35 or higher, the most sound I was hearing was what it sounded that was coming from the front speaker. All that great sound was gone and the quality was poor.
The second best radio is the one on the CX5, a Bose but with the exeptional insulation you can hear a good jazz song. BTW, I'm a sound engineer so I think I know a thing or two about sounds.
Also, the radio system had slower response when changing tracks on the USB Flash drive. Not that slow in other vehicles.

I think the dashboard and the location of the radio were really good. The location on my CRV are low and it keeps your eyes distracted.
One of the worse things was the infotainment, just Appleplay. When i plugged my Iphone nothing happened, I have to manually go to some clicks and order to get to the info from my Iphone. Other systems are quicker. But then again, other people might be OK with that.

There is five USB ports BUT, ONLY ONE in the front/center reads data out of the five and is the only one that works with your phone. In order to listen to music, you must use that same USB port, the other four are only chargers.
In my case I use Waze since I live in a heavy traffic area. I also use music from my USB that I create and listen from and for work. So I can either plug the Iphone and have the long wire hanging all over the place and use it for Waze and music in it (I don't have music in my Iphone) or use a USB Flash Drive. But that leaves me with no Waze.
What a shame, in other vehicles you can use the USB ports for music and charge as well. That way you can just hide your phone and go.

I only saw one 12v charger in the front, not in the console or cargo area. Maybe others can verify this and report back.

During my test I used Waze and the screen was OK.
The screen was not that crisp clear as other vehicles. Maybe others can comment on this and report back.

The seats were comfortable but the rear one were OK. The passenger seat didn't have an adjustable high setting, just one to go back and forth and the one for the back, to level it.
When seating in the rear, there's two positions for the back, and I think they lay back to much. The other thing was the seating position back there, the hips were lower than my knees, more like a car seating. Not so in the Forester, CRV or CX5. Again, just my observation but other people might be OK with that.
Also, to lower the rear seats, there was no handle in the cargo area, I had to go the the top of the rear seat to press the button in order to fold them down. That same button controls the two seat position on the rear seat.
If you are loading a bunch of crap in the back you will have to go around. Not a problem but a inconvenience for some.

The Blind Spot Monitor did cover an OK distance from vehicles next to you, maybe two lengths. My 2018 CRV is the worst I have ever seen, it only covers the vehicles when they're on your rear bumper.
There is no sound, only visual warning. So it there's a really suny day and the sun hits the mirror you may not see it. I'm no spring chicken and my vision is not the best so I like the sound warning to be there too.

The new electric connected to a rear camera rear vie mirror was really cool on the 2019 Rav4. You can adjust the view, left or right just like a regular mirror.

Please feel free to comment, I'm sure you'll see things better than me or some of my issues might not be important to you, that is OK.

I took the time to take the road test because I really wanted the Rav4 SO BAD. At the end I was glad I took a long road test and didn't even ask for the price. I heard someone else said "sticker price'.
IMO, for that kind of money I'll look at the CRV Touring model, but then again there's some engine issues AND the heat. The heat is not adequate, people all over the North are complaining. Look it up.
And for that price, the 2019 CX5 Turbo is looking really good.
But so is the Kia SX Turbo, I can get one in my area for about $28K, but hey, is a KIA. Really nice suspension and powertrain. Who knows, I might end up taking a second look at it, for that price and a 10 year warranty on the power train, not mentioning the HUUGE sunroof. We'll see.
I might even consider a 2018 RAV4 SE, but will turn it into a single driver because the crash test on the passenger side. Lots of safety features for the money.

For the ones that will buy the Rav4, good luck, I think it is a nice vehicle and it should last you a long time, IT IS A TOYOTA after all, those engines run forever.

I will end with this, I believe the Rav4 powertrain is gonna be very reliable and I can say I feel the same with the crash test. It should ace it.
Please don't be attacking me on my observations in a way as if I just physically attacked your child. They invented colors for a reason. Unless you own Toyota and believe bread and butter is the best thing ever...

I'm not sure what I'll do, I'm getting rid of my 2018 CRV. I love the CX5 but I already have one.

One last thing I'll mention is something I did read in another forum, it is better to drive a vehicle that you're happy with than driving a reliable and safe car you dislike. Because at the end you're not gonna be happy. One of my friend drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Awful with gas and is always in the shop but he loves it.

Have a great day and Happy Holidays.

2019 RAV4 review from Redline

SILVERBOY

CHICKS DONíT DIG DEAD GUYS

BUCKLE UP!!!!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silverboy For This Useful Post:
aleeann (12-11-2018), casper (12-20-2018), mcrimm (12-11-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:26 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Not too worried about the insulation I don't mine engine sound, wind and road noise is a different story. I will wait and make my own opinion, most reviewers I have watched said engine loud, wind noise very low, a little road noise, hood insulation might help all but like I said unless it is really obnoxious I don't believe it will bother me.

Good to hear JBL sounded good even the best in your opinion, not sure I understand the 35mph or higher point that you were trying to convey, couldn't you just adjust the sound more towards the rear or are you that upset with the insulation you feel you need to reiterate it again.

I agree with the usb port thing but expected it to work this way. It would be nice to be able to have an usb port for music on a usb drive and a phone connected like the crv. The fact when you plug in your iphone it doesn't default to carplay is also disappointing but once again I expected it to be this way, we are talking about Entune and it has some catching up to do.

Personally I am only interested in front seat comfort and rear cargo space. I have also wondered why Toyota got rid of the handle in the cargo area , I think they were the first to use them on the 06-12 rav and do definitely miss them big oversight by them on this one.

To me it sounds like the insulation thing was your biggest complaint, along with pricing.
Thanks for your opinions.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddot View Post
Not too worried about the insulation I don't mine engine sound, wind and road noise is a different story. I will wait and make my own opinion, most reviewers I have watched said engine loud, wind noise very low, a little road noise, hood insulation might help all but like I said unless it is really obnoxious I don't believe it will bother me.
That sound is not as bad as the Forester. The Forester is just loud with no power. Not the case on the Rav4.

Good to hear JBL sounder good, not sure I understand the 35mph or higher point that you were trying to convey, couldn't you just adjust the sound more towards the rear?
If you adjust the volume to the rear, then it would sound just louder when riding the vehicle at lower speeds.
35 MOH or higher, I meant when you are giving it gas to power the vehicle (higher revs).

I agree with the usb port thing but expected it to work like this way. It would be nice to be able to have an usb port for music on a usb drive and a phone connected like the crv. The fact when you plug in your iphone it doesn't default to carplay is also disappointing but once again I expected it to be this way, we are talking about Entune and it has some catching up to do.

Personally I am only interested in front seat comfort and rear cargo space. I have also wondered why Toyota got rid of the handle in the cargo area , I think they were the first to use them on the 06-12 rav and do definitely miss them big oversight by them on this one.
I had and I missed my 2012 Sport AWD Rav4 V6.

To me it sounds like the insulation thing was your biggest complaint, along with pricing.
Pricing my friend. At that range there's more choices. But hey, I paid $29K for a loaded 2017 CX5 GT and the insulation is amazing.

Thanks for your opinions.
Thanks for reading. I love cars.

SILVERBOY

BUCKLE UP!!!!!!!

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
Thanks for reading. I love cars.
I also miss my 2011 sport v6 awd sap, if they offered a v6 in the 19 I would have defiantly got it. My 2011 was such a fun ride one of my favorites of the 32 vehicles’ I have owned.

Interestingly enough I just checked my 18 adventure and it has the hood insulation and has a very quiet interior, I barley ever here the engine, a little wind and road but not bad at all.

Sadly I traded in my 11 on the ****ty 17 crv, I would most likely still have it if the 17 crv didn't look so good on paper, one of my worsted auto regrets.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Regarding the noise levels, I can guaranty you that if enough people after testing the Rav4 and start complaining about the noise engine (because it is) Toyota will start adding that insulation. I don't understand why its not included. Cutting corners and Savings I guess. For the amount of money the new Rav4 are going for, I think is crazy.

Like I mentioned before, only the 2019 Forester sounded worse. That model comes with a CVT.

I'd like for someone to add the insulation to their new Rav4 and report back.

Car companies like Toyota, Honda and others monitor websites like this one and check for complaints.
And I guess, issues like this one falls into the first year of production category. That's another reason to stay away from that type production.

SILVERBOY

BUCKLE UP!!!!!!!
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
On 16-18 models, you can use up to 2 USB with Data via USB Hub.
So, you can use Wase and a Thumb Drive. But using a thumb drive in 16-18 Entune is useless.
Try USB Hub in 19.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
Regarding the noise levels, I can guaranty you that if enough people after testing the Rav4 and start complaining about the noise engine (because it is) Toyota will start adding that insulation. I don't understand why its not included. Cutting corners and Savings I guess. For the amount of money the new Rav4 are going for, I think is crazy.

Like I mentioned before, only the 2019 Forester sounded worse. That model comes with a CVT.

I'd like for someone to add the insulation to their new Rav4 and report back.

Car companies like Toyota, Honda and others monitor websites like this one and check for complaints.
And I guess, issues like this one falls into the first year of production category. That's another reason to stay away from that type production.

Maybe Toyota, by making 19 RAV4 "rugged", think offroad vehicles do not need noise insulation?
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Thanked 1,063 Times in 883 Posts
Garage
I don't think the cabin noise is bad at all, in fact my wife thinks it's quieter than the '16 HV which isn't bad either, I'm sure it's not as quiet as the CX-5 which Alex on Autos says has over 100lbs of insulation to make it a real quiet ride, but the fuel economy is poor.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We currently drive a 2015 Mazda3. It’s the top trim line and a great driving car. My only complaint is it is very, very noisy. I recently slapped a set of Michelin’s on it and the noise level increased.

I was concerned with the noise level on the new Rav4 although I’m waiting for the hybrid. If it’s noise level is not civilized, I’ll pass. I don’t expect it to be as quiet as my son’s Infinity, my 2018 F150 Platinum or my brother’s Lexus, but I want to hear the music.

In Montana, the roads are all chip sealed adding to the noise level.
Mike
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Engine and road noise is big deal breaker for me as well. I am very surprised to see a lack of any noise insulation on the underside of the hood. If the 2019 Hybrid is noisier than my 2017 Hybrid, I'll consider buying it after the lease is up or check out other brands.

2017 RAV4 SE HYBRID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page