[Video]2019 RAV4: Demo of Lane Tracing Assist Safety Feature! - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile [Video]2019 RAV4: Demo of Lane Tracing Assist Safety Feature!

The video shows how the Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Tracing Assist Assist work together.
That's great it even works in raining environment.

I also noticed it can recognized some situation when 1 lane split to 2 lanes or road edge, etc.
1st at 1:08, it shows a green line on the left of the LTA sign when the middle double real line on the road splits to 2 lanes.
2nd at 2:24, the green line shows on right of LTA sign when right side appear the barrier of the road, it might be recognized as road edge ?

At last, at 2:20, it seems the LTA couldn't keep the RAV4 in center of the lane, it hit the right side of the lane, then turns back to lane center.
Not sure if the driver did something or the LTA not worked well.

Any thoughts ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
[Video]2019 RAV4: Demo of Lane Tracing Assist Safety Feature!

I’m conservative about these early forms of self driving or safety related electronics. There is little to no uniformity to their functionality and they still are carefully designated as “aids” by the manufacturers. In other words, by design a computer and sensors take over a function to help the driver but normally we are still supposed to be “fully engaged” in the driving. Unfortunately, the two outcomes and objectives are counter to each other.

IMO, driving in fairly heavy traffic at highway speeds, in the rain, and taking your hands off the wheel as in this video is incredibly stupid, and exactly what this “Toyotajeff guy” shouldn’t be doing. I myself in a similar situation would have cruise control off, radio off, and be giving my utmost attention to driving. If the sensors get blinded or rain/debris clogged one is suddenly up the famous creek.

I have used “Lane departure warning” devices in another vehicle, but without the guided function. I found it semi-useless, and frequently annoying. Other folk’s comments I have read on the same system thought it was great, so maybe I’m not a typical driver.

Again, I wouldn’t trust it until some more time and drivers check it out. Buy,hey, I don’t particularly like adaptive cruise control, either, because it is highly imperfect, at last for me.

Glad to read other opinions.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I like the adaptive cruise control I did it on my wife's car on the first drive. None of the braking and resetting. I also like the auto high beams.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:33 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
My issue is driving and using cruise control in the rain. I know, I know I might start a debate on that issue.
I personally don't use it.

Also, I had an incident when the system disable itself due to the sun. I was driving during sunset and the sun just hit the camera in a perfect was for few seconds and it disable it.

Great safety features and I love them, but not 100% perfect, yet.

SILVERBOY

CHICKS DON’T DIG DEAD GUYS

BUCKLE UP!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to silverboy For This Useful Post:
the pig (04-22-2019)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:59 PM

[Video]2019 RAV4: Demo of Lane Tracing Assist Safety Feature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjecpa View Post
I like the adaptive cruise control I did it on my wife's car on the first drive. None of the braking and resetting. I also like the auto high beams.

My experience with ACC has been it is very useful on lightly traveled interstates, which is a rare circumstance for me. With rapid cut ins and merges by other drivers on most roads it “worked”, if working meant I didn’t crash. But it was slow to react if there was a considerable speed difference between my car and another causing hard braking. If one “relaxes” and fully lets it take over (I have done so) there can be some real hard surprises now and then.

I wouldn’t trust it with my life.

EJ

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Still have to beware of your surroundings. I was driving around DC at the time packed roads so you had to be very alert. I usually don't use cruise on my XTP .
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Thanked 1,036 Times in 867 Posts
Garage
LTA works pretty good on limited access highways while in the right lane where the fog line is well marked and has no breaks like at exits, but it doesn't do well then. I had to reduce sensitivity to the low setting, otherwise it over corrected and went back and forth in the lane instead of a smooth correction., it's much better on low.

The main problem I've had with ACC is when the vehicle in front slows to make a turn, AAC slows the vehicle down accordingly but stays locked on and slams on the brakes even after the turning vehicle is well clear of my traffic lane, so I have to anticipate that scenario and deactivate ACC to maintain speed without further braking. The full speed ACC works excellent in freeway traffic with intermittent slow downs and will come to a complete stop, then resume, all without any driver intervention, not that I would rely on it all the time, but it does work as intended.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
LTA works pretty good on limited access highways while in the right lane where the fog line is well marked and has no breaks like at exits, but it doesn't do well then. I had to reduce sensitivity to the low setting, otherwise it over corrected and went back and forth in the lane instead of a smooth correction., it's much better on low.

The main problem I've had with ACC is when the vehicle in front slows to make a turn, AAC slows the vehicle down accordingly but stays locked on and slams on the brakes even after the turning vehicle is well clear of my traffic lane, so I have to anticipate that scenario and deactivate ACC to maintain speed without further braking. The full speed ACC works excellent in freeway traffic with intermittent slow downs and will come to a complete stop, then resume, all without any driver intervention, not that I would rely on it all the time, but it does work as intended.

IMO, you have identified the issue here. The system, as carefully described in the manual, is not supposed to be used in many of the situations owners say they use it. Which is a lot of times.

There is a big disjunct between the so called “intention” and actual expectations. So people are placing themselves in potential jeopardy because they think they are using a “safety” feature but as it turns out in a way that isn’t safe, at all.

EJ

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
2 questions

1. Once the lane watch has been selected does it stay on or must it be engaged every time that the cruise control is engaged?
2. how does it respond when the driver intentionally changes lanes?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:10 PM

John:
Not sure if you are asking me. I haven’t tried the new RAV version myself. The Subaru lane assist I have used is default on regardless of the ACC. In that case, the alarm will alert if a lane is crossed unless you use the turn signal first. Which sometimes, is annoying, even dangerous, because conditions are that you don’t have time to signal because of some dimwit cutting you off. And there is the “alert” squalling in the background as another distraction to doing what you must to avoid an accident.

Same goes for the blind spot warning. In heavy traffic the warning is too “protective”, having an interval that is too long for realistic lane changes and there it is, squawking, just another additional distraction in a moment when distractions are dangerous.

Which is why I find most of these so called “safety” items to be useful sometimes, but also a problem, too.

EJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page