Hood insulation - Page 11 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
My speculation is there was a supply problem with the hood insulator, plant fire/strike/who knows, that resulted in a limited source, so Toyota put all of them on the HVs to make sure they were covered since their goal is to increase HV sales, they may have shot themselves in the foot if it was intentionally planned from the beginning, FYI the ruby flare pearl Limited at the NYAS had a hood insulator, that's the only gas model I've ever seen with a hood insulator from the factory.

One of the main complaints Toyota was receiving was that their EPA Mileage ratings were below average for the segment. If you look at the major changes between this generation and the last, a lot of the big ones (transmission, higher compression engine, lighter steel, Stop/Start) are aimed at raising the MPG numbers. You can also see changes that have lower manufacturing costs: the steel, the electric e-brake, the no-weld D-Pillar, etc.

The lack of insulator hits both of those goals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_D View Post
One of the main complaints Toyota was receiving was that their EPA Mileage ratings were below average for the segment. If you look at the major changes between this generation and the last, a lot of the big ones (transmission, higher compression engine, lighter steel, Stop/Start) are aimed at raising the MPG numbers. You can also see changes that have lower manufacturing costs: the steel, the electric e-brake, the no-weld D-Pillar, etc.

The insulator has negligible impact on fuel economy, it weighs 3 lbs shipped, that's including the shipping container, and in the quantities Toyota would be buying from the mfr it likely has negligible impact on the cost of production, they would have been better off skimping on something less critical like moonroofs that have considerable weight and should be an optional offering, not built into all trims except the LEs and the Adventurer, and the LE gas is model is the only trim to have stop/start, no other gas trim has it.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #103 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:38 AM

It has a negligible impact on both weight and cost by why else would Toyota not include it if not for those reasons?

When GM was trying to improve fuel economy, they shaved ounces of weight from door latch strikers. Every little bit helps.

A moonroof is a selling point for a lot of buyers. Whether or not it was sensible to have it non-optional is up for debate but it is more than paid for with the price jump from LE to XLE.

I know Stop/Start is only on LEs but Toyota gets to average the fuel savings provided by that feature across their entire lineup to come up with the EPA numbers they got.

post #104 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_D View Post

Off subject but you're telling me the D pillar (the one with the floating roof line thing) has no welds behind it?
post #105 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japoki1982 View Post
Off subject but you're telling me the D pillar (the one with the floating roof line thing) has no welds behind it?
I shouldn't have called it no-weld but I was thinking in terms of replacing a rear quarter panel where you do have to weld it to blend in with a larger piece. As someone whose cars have had to have extensive rear body work done on two occasions (through no fault of my own, I promise!), these smaller pieces would be waaaaay easier and cheaper to replace.

Is it cheaper while manufacturing to use two smaller pieces than one huge one? I'm really not knowledgeable enough to say.

I'm sure it has welds and the construction is probably like this Lexus RX:
2016 Lexus RX Body Structure ? Boron Extrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page