Hood insulation - Page 4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Thanked 1,079 Times in 896 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
I want to make sure its not a fire hazard. Do you think the mats you applied are still less sound deadening than the factory. I know you dont have factory...but I dunno...200 bucks when a little labor on my part would save a ton. I do like the idea of stacking them.
I don't see any flammability rating for the Damplifier Pro other than it's temp range, but the Dynamat Hoodliner that I'm installing on top of it has a rating that applies to occupant compartments.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_154119...BoC27YQAvD_BwE

Specifications

Temperature Range: -40 to 225 degrees Fahrenheit
Weight LBS/SQ.FT: 0.20
Gauge: 0.75 inches
R-Value: 2.7
Radiant Heat Reflection: 97%
Flammability: Passes FMVSS-302

2019 XLE Premium AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Before you spend a lot of time and effort on hood insulation, remember that all of the additional hood insulation is going to block only some of the sound, besides making your new car look very tacky if anybody opens the hood. Part of the sound also comes directly from the engine bay through the inside. IMO, if it does not bother you, let it be. It will get better with warm weather and more miles.

2019 RAV4 ADVENTURE (AKA 2020 TRD)
post #33 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmb2003 View Post
Before you spend a lot of time and effort on hood insulation, remember that all of the additional hood insulation is going to block only some of the sound, besides making your new car look very tacky if anybody opens the hood. Part of the sound also comes directly from the engine bay through the inside. IMO, if it does not bother you, let it be. It will get better with warm weather and more miles.
I agree with you. Plus I don't want to second guess the Toyota engineers for omitting the hood insulation. I don't want to do anything to affect heat transfer, flow and management. I believe this engine has very tight heat management system.

post #34 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Have to admit I've got the "Jones" for a '19 hybrid RAV4, although I'll admit it's not a compulsion I couldn't get over under the right circumstances. This discussion about interior noise levels has piqued my interest, because I like my vehicles to be quiet enough that I can enjoy the audio, conversations, or nothing at all. If I were to pull the trigger on a hybrid RAV4, I'll be coming from a '17 Tacoma TRD Sport (crew cab, auto, v6, 4 season tires), preceded by a '15 Outback (auto, v4) and an '07 Tacoma SR% (crew, auto, v6).

I realize, of course, that a lengthy test drive will help mightily to answer my question, which I will do when I can. But I would appreciate hearing from the forum as to how others might compare relative noise levels in my recent history of vehicles. If the consensus were that I'll find the RAV4 significantly noisier than vehicles I've recently owned, I might just let go of my interest in the RAV4.

Thanks!
post #35 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodshyun View Post
Quote:
I agree with you. Plus I don't want to second guess the Toyota engineers for omitting the hood insulation. I don't want to do anything to affect heat transfer, flow and management. I believe this engine has very tight heat management system.
The only ones you’ll be second guessing are the bean counters.
post #36 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
My big concern with adding hood insulation is the heat.

My 2011 V6 eats batteries. The underhood heat kills them within two years, especially in the TX heat. I've got a redtop in it now that has lasted almost three, but is already showing signs of failing.

With a bunch of insulation on the hood directly over the engine compartment, I worry that the 2019 might start suffering the same symptoms.

2019 Lunar Rock XLE Prem, 2011 Black V6 Limited 2WD, 2002 Rav4 L and a 2017 RAV4 XLE. We are now a 4 RAV4 family.
post #37 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post
The only ones youíll be second guessing are the bean counters.
Why wouldn't Toyota install a hood insulation for the Limited trim as Toyota is already making people pay? I am sure people buying the Limited trim would be willing to sacrifice another $200-300 for that. I am not so sure if the answer is that simple. I am not second guessing you since you may have more information.
post #38 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mounting Hardware

Quote:
Thanks. I ordered the part and mounting hardware (separate order) from another vendor online. They confirmed that it is for 2019 RAV4 but also warned it does not come with my trim (from the VIN number). So, they cannot say if it will fit. I told them I accept the risk. I will be the guinea pig and let you all know next week.
Can you provide a link for the mounting hardware, or part number?

Thanks!
post #39 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by straussrv View Post
Can you provide a link for the mounting hardware, or part number?

Thanks!
I got it from the dealer who shipped the insulator but it was this one. https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Hood-I.../dp/B00KBKS6A0

2019 RAV4 ADVENTURE (AKA 2020 TRD)
The Following User Says Thank You to dcmb2003 For This Useful Post:
straussrv (02-19-2019)
post #40 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks for the information. I'm thinking about the HV insulator you used. I have a 2019 XLE. Any guess as to whether it will fit as well as it did in your vehicle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page