Mods to RAV4? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mods to RAV4?

Every time I get a new car I always try to customize it slightly to make it uniquely my own. Just some thoughts on improving its utility and comfort:

- changing out stock interior lights, fog lights and reverse lights to LEDs
The lights are relatively straight forward and absolutely required for the dimly lit cargo area. If anyone is able to take pictures of the cargo and rear dome light's actual light socket area without the cover that would be quite useful. Measurements to show how much room is available for a panel led with adapter would be even more helpful. I'm thinking about actually just sticking some LED light strips along the bottom edge of the side panel just as long as I can figure out how to disassemble the panel to run the wiring.

- adding a vent mount or some cell phone holder solution so I can still use my phone
Too bad android auto is not supported. I usually plan all my trips using Google Maps so my waypoints are saved and programmed in for easy selection to my next destination should I need navigation. I haven't had a chance to check out Scout GPS or Entune. Though the abysmal reviews of Scout are not encouraging.

- adding a DVR to both front and back
With the added bulk of the Safety Sense system and its own camera, there's not as much available room to mount something between the windshield and the rear view mirror. I'm also wanting to mount a DVR on the rear liftgate as a further insurance policy for myself. Again, not sure how to make the wiring neat and tidy especially if the liftgate moves.

- adding winter tires onto a new set of wheels with wheel locks to match
Any idea what the wheel offset and hub diameter is? I'm surprised this info isn't readily available as the cars are starting to roll off the lot in the middle of winter.

- adding alphatherm or Delphi HTK400 windshield washer fluid heater to speed up windshield defrost
I haven't heard much about heated windshield washer fluid lately. It seems like a nifty inexpensive upgrade. Youtube videos and forums make it sound fairly straight forward to install with good benefits. The small amount of heated liquid would be perfect for both cleaning a bug splattered windshield during the summer and help defrost during the winter. If you've washed dishes with both cold and hot water you'd know the difference a bit of heat makes.

- adding a remote start system
I'm not interested in paying monthly or annually for Toyota's remote connect or bother with adding a data plan to the vehicle for their proprietary system to work. I've seen a lot of sales on Compustar's remote starter systems lately. I don't know if a harness is available or installers can simply splice into your existing wiring without messing up the vehicle's wiring or warranty. This is definitely a convenience feature I'm interested in for the icy cold mornings to help defrost the windshield and heat up the seat before you step foot inside the vehicle.

- potentially removing the whole interior and door panels to add sound deadening material
So there's a lot of chatter with how loud the RAV4 can be ranging from wind noise to road noise to engine revving. I'm concerned especially when coming from a sedan which is typically quieter to begin with (due to the separate isolated trunk not transferring noise into the cabin). This is probably something I'd like to consider but wouldn't want to waste money and add unnecessary weight. I guess I'll just have to wait to see how annoying the noise level really is before doing this labor intensive mod.

- creating some sort of set up so sleeping in the back with the seats folded down
Let me start by saying I don't camp but getting an SUV might actually be worth trying. I think I'd enjoy road trips with a new vehicle until the novelty wears off. I've seen this post https://www.rav4world.com/forums/2164265-post7.html where some plywood was put on top of storage bins and the inclined back seat to make a flat bed. I don't believe the 5th gen RAV4 requires something this extreme as it looks fairly level to begin with but it's something worth figuring out if sleeping on it bothers you.

- LED light bar
So... no camping definitely means no off-roading for me. Light bars have always fascinated me. I probably wouldn't mount anything over the top but rather just 1 or 2 short ones between the fog lights. The grill on the 5th gen looks like it's designed for something to fit down there. https://www.rav4world.com/forums/2262353-post7.html

- window tint
I find a good window tint useful at times and it now seems like the RAV4 all come with the back half tinted. It looks fairly light though so I'm not sure whether this suits my purposes. Perhaps a tint on top of the existing tint?

- plug out inverter
And last but definitely not least is adding a 1000+w power inverter. This would warrant further exploration probably more appropriately in the Hybrid forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
The first thing I will be looking for my 2019 Rav 4 is a trailer hitch.
post #3 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Garage
I've already swapped out the dim cargo area lamp with a multi-LED lamp, same as was on my '16 Ltd HV, socket seems the same too IIRC. I also lined the "reflector" part of the lamp cover with chrome tape so it reflects more light from the back LED elements.

I'm using the same stick-on magnetic mount as I used in my past two Rav4s, stuck to the upper right instrument panel bezel, works great for my iPhone 8, an 18" lightning cable fits perfect when I want to use Carplay.

So far no one lists a trailer hitch for the '19, UHaul did list the Curt 13149 as fitting(same as '13-'18), but they've corrected that error, now says it requires a custom hitch.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow when there's a bit less rain.

2019 XLE Premium AWD

post #4 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
One other change, my older Techstream won't work with our new vehicles, so I had ordered a Carista ($14) with one month Pro trial to make some changes on my wife's '18 Prius Prime, it did that wonderfully, so I tried it on my '19 Rav4, there are very few options that aren't available thru the Infotainment and MID, one of the missing options if the signal lane change blinks, default is 3, I like 7, no can do, not even listed. I contacted Carista, they had me send them a debug file which took about 20 minutes to upload to my phone, they replied that there are no more option updates planned anytime soon for the '19 Rav4, but would sooner of later, offered to send me a beta to test when they create one. Techstream v13.20.018 which covers the '19 Rav4 is available on ebay for $30, so I might go for that, my current MVCI cable isn't compatible, so that's my best choice as opposed to downloading the free version.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #5 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Something I add to every vehicle I own is a 3rd brake light flasher. Having been rear ended previously I think it really help gets the attention of all the texting drivers on the roads today. The one I like that is very reliable is made by Velleman. It's a kit that you have to solder parts on the circuit board. However, there are several other ones available that are plug-n-play (no assembly), but I don't know their quality or longevity. The Velleman unit just works.

https://www.vellemanstore.com/en/vel...UaAojGEALw_wcB
post #6 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I personally will be getting a trailer hitch as soon as they are made available.

I've already looked into adding a remote car starter. A local shop will be willing to do the work for 250$ish as soon as they get their wiring diagram. It will work with my OEM fob but will replace the horn button. I've never used that on any of my car so no problem replacing with it.

Even though, my Rav came with the OEM rubber mats, I will get a full set of WeatherTech and a cargo line for sure.

The speakers will get replaced as well sometime this year. Replacing all 4 speakers and tweeters with some decent speakers that i'll run through a 4 channel amp, so I can control everything the way I want. Not looking for a 1000w setup, just something that doesn't sound like a can.

I might do a full hood dampening if QuickDtoo end's up doing it with noticeable results.

Finally, since my LE didn't come with the factory fog light. I'll be looking into installing a set when you can find them on at the dealer. Did this with my previous suv, got the oem fog from the dealer, wired them the same way they come from the factory.

Quick question, for those that have the fog, are they activated by turning the arm on the steering column or there is a button next to the auto high beam control?
post #7 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
I'll be using Second Skin Damplifier Pro, made in the USA and thicker than Dynamat at 2mm, from videos and reviews it's also easier to handle and install and rated to 450ļ, also has black aluminum skin instead of shiny if I decide not to add a Boom Mat hood liner on top of the Damplifier.

https://store.secondskinaudio.com/da...heets-12-x-20/

https://www.amazon.com/Second-Skin-D.../dp/B0134VHSGK

2019 XLE Premium AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickdtoo For This Useful Post:
RAV4Cal (02-25-2019)
post #8 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
I've already swapped out the dim cargo area lamp with a multi-LED lamp, same as was on my '16 Ltd HV, socket seems the same too IIRC. I also lined the "reflector" part of the lamp cover with chrome tape so it reflects more light from the back LED elements.

I'm using the same stick-on magnetic mount as I used in my past two Rav4s, stuck to the upper right instrument panel bezel, works great for my iPhone 8, an 18" lightning cable fits perfect when I want to use Carplay.

So far no one lists a trailer hitch for the '19, UHaul did list the Curt 13149 as fitting(same as '13-'18), but they've corrected that error, now says it requires a custom hitch.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow when there's a bit less rain.
What size bulb is the cargo light? Planning to swap mine out as well.
post #9 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugendc4 View Post
What size bulb is the cargo light? Planning to swap mine out as well.
I bought my LEDs in 2015 for my '15 Limited and some more for my '16 Ltd HV, I have a bunch of extras since they sent way more than I needed. I don't know the number, but it's the common 5 watt miniature wedge base bulb, 194 I think, same as the personal(map) lights up front, most bulbs are listed in the owner's manual.

AutoGoody

2019 XLE Premium AWD

Last edited by Quickdtoo; 01-09-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Just remembered where I bought them, link to AutoGoody added
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quickdtoo For This Useful Post:
cougar548 (03-02-2019), mugendc4 (01-10-2019)
post #10 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I found something I can up grade right now...the horn, it sounds like a 125cc motorcycle, so I found on Amazon a Hella 111db horn.
That should wake up some people.
The Following User Says Thank You to outbackandy For This Useful Post:
Souza (03-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page