Eco v Normal v Sport? - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2019, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Thanked 1,080 Times in 897 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickmom View Post
My question is really stupid - how do you get it out of eco and into normal? Pushing the button doesn't seem to do anything - what am I missing? When in normal or sport mode, is the mode displayed anywhere? It always just says eco on the dash. I'm sure I'm being stupid so I apologize for that but I would love to have an answer. The car is so jerky and I thought I could try the other modes to see if there are differences.
You'll find answers to your questions in the owner's manual, there are two Eco displays, one is Eco Driving Indicator which is explained on page 92, it can be turned off/on in the MID. The other is Eco mode which is enabled with the Eco button by the shifter, Eco, Normal and Sport driving modes are explained on page 352.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...f/OM0R009U.pdf

2019 XLE Premium AWD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quickdtoo For This Useful Post:
chickmom (05-10-2019), YodaFJRav4 (05-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've read those pages many times but didn't know there were two different things called 'eco' so that's probably why it's been so confusing to me. Thank you; I'll try again.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickmom View Post
My question is really stupid - how do you get it out of eco and into normal? Pushing the button doesn't seem to do anything - what am I missing? When in normal or sport mode, is the mode displayed anywhere? It always just says eco on the dash. I'm sure I'm being stupid so I apologize for that but I would love to have an answer. The car is so jerky and I thought I could try the other modes to see if there are differences.

It does say it somewhere on the display if itís in eco or sport driving mode, but you can also tell by the color of the speedometer. It will be red in sport, white in normal, and green in eco mode (or blue maybe? I never use it, canít recall)

Apart from the driving mode, though, thereís also the ďeco indicatorĒ, which is displayed whenever your RPMs are low enough that youíre not consuming much fuel, whether in eco or normal driving mode (but not sport, for whatever reason)
The Following User Says Thank You to PDPete For This Useful Post:
chickmom (05-11-2019)

Old 05-10-2019, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I've had my Hybrid Limited for 3 days, been spending most of the time in ECO mode which surprises me. Some Interstate merging, some 50MPH roads, some 25 & 30MPH streets. ECO seems fine with the CVT (which I've been really impressed by). I haven't been pushing it, only 160 miles on the odometer. I've been averaging 39mpg according to the display, fuel gauge right at 3/4 so I haven't been able to check it with a fill up yet.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Heh, I must be one of the few nerds to drives around exclusively in Eco mode :P . I haven't even touched the "normal" or "sport" modes, haha. It has definitely occured to me on highway onramps how...lethargic the ol girl is in Eco mode. But, it hasn't bothered me enough to change. I've been averaging 32-33mpg, though it dropped to 27-28 when my wife started driving, heh.

I have been lightly prodding my wife to trade her TRDP 4Runner for another Rav, though. She likes driving the Rav more, and appreciates the MPG. I'll have to tell her about "sport" mode, too!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Heh, I must be one of the few nerds to drives around exclusively in Eco mode :P . I haven't even touched the "normal" or "sport" modes, haha. It has definitely occured to me on highway onramps how...lethargic the ol girl is in Eco mode. But, it hasn't bothered me enough to change. I've been averaging 32-33mpg, though it dropped to 27-28 when my wife started driving, heh.

I have been lightly prodding my wife to trade her TRDP 4Runner for another Rav, though. She likes driving the Rav more, and appreciates the MPG. I'll have to tell her about "sport" mode, too!
Update: My wife definitely prefers Sport mode!
Old 05-11-2019, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Eco mode also affects the climate control. Sports mode give a better steering wheel feeling (bit heavier) and faster throttle respons.

2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD Innovation (EU)
Old 05-11-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
I'm will leave it in "Sports" mode once I finish with the break-in period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDPete View Post
Owner of a new 2019 Adventure here, sorry if this post is a bit obvious, but I was just curious as to what "mode" most folks use? Most of my previous vehicles have been manual transmission, and the only previous automatic I owned didn't have a mode selector.

So far, in the short time I've owned the vehicle, I've found the "sport" mode the only one I like driving in. "Normal" (and probably "Eco") are fine when cruising at highway speeds, but for general around-the-town driving, I find myself putting in sport every time. Maybe it's just because I'm used to riding out gears more in a manual trans, but the other modes just seem less responsive and don't downshift as much as I'd like.

(And for what it's worth, it's not as if I'm driving aggressively either)

Aside from a likely drop in mpg, is there any downside to or reason I shouldn't just leave in sport mode if that's what I prefer?

2019 Rav4 LE AWD Silver Sky Metallic, came with 3KM ODO
Old 05-12-2019, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I have a Limited AWD. I spent the first one thousand to two thousand miles doing a wide range of driving, in all three modes. After that, I settled into ECO mode for the most part, generally preferring it to Normal mode, and then using Sport mode every now and then when I wanted to "beat someone" out of a red light, to get into a different lane, and that kind of thing. But, I have tried driving quite a bit with all three modes, and here are some things I've noticed:

I find ECO mode to be entirely responsive enough -- if you want to go faster, there is absolutely nothing preventing you from pushing harder on the accelerator pedal, and going faster. But the main difference over Normal mode, as far as I'm concerned, is that it gives you substantially more accelerator pedal travel over Normal mode. For those experiencing difficulties with "jerking" during low-speed moves, I heartily recommend using ECO mode, because what you really need to do is give it just a little bit of gas (I think most people experiencing this are simply giving it too much gas), and having greater control over the accelerator pedal lets you drive more smoothly through these speeds. The other big thing I have noticed in ECO mode is when you're in Adaptive Cruise Control, like on the freeway, and how the vehicle will speed up when someone who has been slowing you below your set speed gets out of your way -- in ECO mode, it doesn't accelerate as briskly, whereas in the other modes, it's like the cruise control absolutely stomps on it. I definitely prefer how it works in ECO mode.

There's not much to say about Normal mode -- it's more about the other modes, and I have found some very interesting things with Sport mode. By all means, if you've got it in Sport mode, turn the MID display to show the power distribution to the wheels -- you will learn what Sport mode really does to use all four wheels to get you around. Frankly, using it around town was something I found to be just outrageously noisy -- it's like it kept the engine above 2,000 or 3,000 RPM, when it's far noisier than it is below 2,000 RPM. However, again, for those experiencing "jerking" in low speed maneuvers, give Sport mode a try -- and watch it use the rear wheels to help launch the vehicle forward. I was quite surprised to see how often Sport mode employs the rear wheels -- starting out, going up hills, going around corners, and so on are all times when you'll see the rear wheels moving the vehicle.

Just the other day, I actually did my first real bit of "curvy mountain road" driving, and after just going along in ECO mode for a while, I decided to give Sport mode a try, and my gosh, I thought it was a much more enjoyable experience. I was going uphill, and around a lot of curves, and I just absolutely enjoyed the experience. By all means, give that a try if you've got one of the models with the "torque vectoring" AWD.

In the end, though, I just really encourage everyone to try all of the different modes, in different situations, and find out what you like, what you prefer for different situations, and so on. I certainly have found substantial differences between the different modes, and it only takes a simple, quick button press to change from one to the other. It's like "how many times do you use your turn signals?" or other controls as you drive -- you can certainly change the different modes just as easily. I can easily say that Normal mode is my least favorite mode, and I virtually never use it now. I sure hope people aren't just keeping it in Normal mode, and missing out on what the other modes can do for their driving experiences -- by all means, give the other modes a shot!

2019 RAV4 Limited AWD with Entune 3.0 Premium and Advanced Technology package.
The Following User Says Thank You to thoots For This Useful Post:
PDPete (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Normal mode is my favorite.

I also drink my Starbucks as frappuccinos, not hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement