Eco v Normal v Sport? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Eco v Normal v Sport?

Owner of a new 2019 Adventure here, sorry if this post is a bit obvious, but I was just curious as to what "mode" most folks use? Most of my previous vehicles have been manual transmission, and the only previous automatic I owned didn't have a mode selector.

So far, in the short time I've owned the vehicle, I've found the "sport" mode the only one I like driving in. "Normal" (and probably "Eco") are fine when cruising at highway speeds, but for general around-the-town driving, I find myself putting in sport every time. Maybe it's just because I'm used to riding out gears more in a manual trans, but the other modes just seem less responsive and don't downshift as much as I'd like.

(And for what it's worth, it's not as if I'm driving aggressively either)

Aside from a likely drop in mpg, is there any downside to or reason I shouldn't just leave in sport mode if that's what I prefer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am glad you like your Adventure. Mine is coming soon and I'd be interested too on how others drive.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Feels like 90% of the time I have it in sport.

Also had a manual before this and usually kept RPMs between 2-3K RPM. In normal it feel like it has a high limit of 2. Always around 1,500 and if you need power, it’s always in too high of a gear so end up slowly accelerating or having too kick down a gear.

Tried ECO once and the throttle response becomes dead and the transmission now has a upper limit of 1.5K RPM it feel like. No thanks.

In Sport it goes up to 3K RPM easily with light throttle. Faster to downshift as well so usually have some power if acceleration is needed. Plus having the speedometer in red matching the left and right sides of the instrument is nice. It’s like it should naturally be in sport 🙂
The Following User Says Thank You to ordered chaos For This Useful Post:
PDPete (02-21-2019)

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I keep it in normal. Its fine for how I drive it. I'm staying away from ECO mode for now as the car is new and it seems like it's lugging the engine alot in that mode.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I have a 2015. I like Normal in the city, Sport on the highway. Sometimes when I have passengers in the city, I put it in Eco so they don't get jerked around at all.

2015 AWD Limited
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL4thT View Post
I have a 2015. I like Normal in the city, Sport on the highway. Sometimes when I have passengers in the city, I put it in Eco so they don't get jerked around at all.
Hmmm...with my 2019 I'm actually the opposite..."normal" seems fine on highway, but in the city prefer "sport" since it's shifting much more and the RPMs seem to low in normal mode when driving at slower speeds...
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I spend most of the time in sport mode. The throttle response is a lot better. It seems like the engine noise gets louder and mpgs aren't as good, but it's a much better drive. I wish the car would stay in sport mode when you turn it off like it does when you turn it off in eco or normal mode.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
I also prefer Sport when driving around town and Normal on the highway. I don't need 35 mpg over an enjoyable drive...28 mpg is fine with me.

2019 Rav4 XLE Premium AWD, 2015 Rav4 Limited AWD
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I have a Limited AWD, and while I spent quite a bit of time in ECO mode early on, I have been using Normal almost all the time now. Not really finding much of a need for Sport or ECO, since Normal seems fine in most situations.

I have learned that I just don't need to "give it much gas" when starting out in Normal -- just enough to get moving, and then the 8-speed transmission will shift-shift-shift-shift and I'm quickly up to speed. All while staying solidly in the ECO zone, if I have that displayed. I sure feel like I've got to give it a lot more gas when I'm in ECO mode. I'm much happier just light-footing it in Normal mode, letting the transmission do all the work.

2019 RAV4 Limited AWD with Entune 3.0 Premium and Advanced Technology package.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Being that the Sport Mode IS selectable (at the push of a button), I usually drive in normal mode. And just select Sport Mode on an As-Needed basis. I usually return to normal mode to take advantage of fuel economy. I see no need to stay in Sport Mode.

2019 Lunar Rock Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement