Adaptive Front Headlight System - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Adaptive Front Headlight System

I knoticed while reading the features list on the Product Information guide that Adaptive Headlights with pan controls was an option on the Limited trim. However, I can't seem to find it as part of any package or add-on option within the build page on the website. I was wondering if anyone has seen it mentioned and if so how much the option is or if it's apart of any package.

For reference, I noticed it on the HV production information list. Not sure if it's an HV only option or not, or if this is a mistake and only available in Europe or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
It appears to be an option on the hybrid limited trim only. Someone elsewhere on the forum said they ordered a hybrid with the adaptive headlights, had to choose either the panoramic sunroof or adaptive headlights, couldn't get both. We will see once the build page for the hybrids is up.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Very interesting how it's only on the HV version and how it also cancels out the pano moon roof. I don't understand why it can't be added to the gas-only Limited trim, either. I guess they have their reasons.

Originally, I'm was hoping to build an HV Limited with the upgraded premium audio system option only. Now discovering the Adaptive Headlights I hope to be able to add that on as well...

Thanks for passing along the info!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I personally don’t care for projector beam headlights and would rather led reflector type anyways.

All modern day Adaptive Headlights I have seen use projector style, I just don't like the extreme cut off of them on the dark roads I drive on and prefer the light pattern of reflector type.

Not sure if I would like Adaptive Headlights or not, I have never driven a vehicle with them. Some might like them and some might not just like projector not everyone likes them.

I was very happy to see that the gen 5 didn't use projector style and didn't realize the HV had them.

Please comment if you have any experience with Adaptive Headlights and what you thought of them.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just a few notes on the Adaptive Front Headlights (AFHS):

1) The AFHS uses projector LEDs so it can only be on the HVs

2) The AFHS has tilt along with pan control

3) When my dealer put the order into the system, that's when we found out the AFHS and panoramic moonroof were mutually exclusive. I went with the AFHS for the safety aspect aspect. Plus if I took the pano I had no AFHS; if I took the AFHS I still had the standard moonroof.

4) The AFHS system is not in the Technology or Weather package. I'm pretty sure it will listed in one of the marketing packages as in the "Build and Price". So we should see something like:

Techno package
Weather package
JBL
AFHS
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravevdriver View Post
When my dealer put the order into the system, that's when we found out the AFHS and panoramic moonroof were mutually exclusive.
What region are you located in? Here, in Colorado, dealers are saying that they can't order a hybrid yet. They say that once the "build your own" is up on the web site, they will be able to put in orders.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am in upper New York state. I have the situation that my '16 MY Limited hybrid will go off lease March 25th, so I have a time crunch to get the replacement.
So I started with my salesman mid November to come up with a configuration. He worked with someone to get the car slotted as the first HV to be delivered
to the dealership; unless Toyota has any HVs that are force shipping to the dealership.

This is what I have on order:

Limited hybrid
Ext - Ruby Flare Pearl
Int - Light gray

Weather package
Technology package

JBL
Adaptive headlights
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Great info here!

I'm simply hoping to add JBL and Adaptive Headlights to my build. Now I'm just wondering how much they are.

Does Toyota have Adaptive Headlights on any other vehicle, including Lexus? I saw them available for the Camry, but only lists auto leveling, not panning.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio Herrera View Post
Great info here!

I'm simply hoping to add JBL and Adaptive Headlights to my build. Now I'm just wondering how much they are.

Does Toyota have Adaptive Headlights on any other vehicle, including Lexus? I saw them available for the Camry, but only lists auto leveling, not panning.
Like the Rav4 HV, the Camry XLE HV is the only Camry that offers AFHS, and only in a near $5000 package, so that should give you an idea of how much it could add to your build. Go to the Camry build page on Toyota.com, I did. I thought $35k for my '16 Ltd Hv was bad, $40+ for a '19, is over the top for me unfortunately.

Here's another consideration: How reliable will they be? How often will they need maintenance/alignment? I remember when disappearing headlights were new, they weren't very popular when they wouldn't open, or got stuck in the open position, I don't know that I'd want to be a guinea pig for that kind of new tech specially for that cost.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, that's the Camry. The member above noted it can be added separately. And if it can't I'll special order it separately if it's not part of the tech or weather packages. As a matter of fact, in the product information page, it lists it as an option, not part of a package, just like the panoramic moon roof.

And I'll be most likely negotiating a 10/125,000 extended warranty with mine, so I'm not worried about if the product needs replacing. I did some research and already saw that Adaptive Headlights are on some of the Prius vehicles, as well as some other non-Toyota vehicles and see that it's a very nice safely feature and very convenient to have at night to see better and around corners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page