Gen 4.5 Defect Lists - Page 7 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunken View Post
Center console by shifter started to rattle when hitting bump. Still trying to fix it. Origin of rattle is the tray where the usb port are. Added insulation tape, mostly gone but still happen from time to time.
I have the center console rattling when hitting a bump, too. It seems to get a little better when the vehicle warms up? I haven't mentioned it because it seems minor compared to my transmission issues and the loud acceleration. How did you add the insulation tape/ where did you put it? I'm interested to try it myself, but don't know exactly how to do it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Gunner:

What transmission issues are you having?
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I got my Rav brand new it had less than 100kms on it back in december.

I found the cause if the rattle in the center console. When you take off the shifter assembly, you gain access to the usb port and power outlet. Behind those there is a small plastic where the assembly attach to it and there is another plastic wall right behind it. This is exactly where the rattle was coming from. The usb dock would cause the 2 plastics walls to rattle when hiting a bump. Adding some isulation tape fixed my issue and its now gone !!!!

The transmission issue now. Started from day one, coming to a stop it would hard downshift into first launching me forward and would hesitate to acceleratr afterward. The solution was to do a full stop and wait for the transmission to downshift into first gear or drive in snow mode since the Rav nevers goes into first gear that way. I am now at 7000kms and now when ever the Rav downshifts into first gear, you can hear a mechanical clunk. It almost sounds like a bad engine mount to be honest. I’ll be bringing it in soon for that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunken For This Useful Post:
gunner99 (04-29-2019), itsmyjobtoknow (04-29-2019), japoki1982 (05-09-2019), Quickdtoo (04-29-2019)

post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Thanked 1,027 Times in 860 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyalex View Post
Gunner:

What transmission issues are you having?

Sounds the same as others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner99 View Post
I have the hesitating/lurching transmission issue. And I find the engine noise while accelerating annoying. I contacted Toyota and had the Service Manager at my dealer check it out. I was basically told to wait for Toyota to do something about it.

I also logged the issues at carcomplaints.com, although it will probably be a day or 2 before they post it.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
Thanks Quickdtoo! Yes, it's the same as others. I mainly notice the hesitating/lurching during the coast-and-go type situations. The Service Manager drove it and additionally noticed some what he called "slipping." Of course he said it was "normal" after he drove another RAV on the lot...
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
Thanks Quickdtoo! Yes, it's the same as others. I mainly notice the hesitating/lurching during the coast-and-go type situations. The Service Manager drove it and additionally noticed some what he called "slipping." Of course he said it was "normal" after he drove another RAV on the lot...
Too bad the dealer doesn’t have Quickdtoo‘s RAV4 to compare to 🙂
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
I found the cause if the rattle in the center console. When you take off the shifter assembly, you gain access to the usb port and power outlet. Behind those there is a small plastic where the assembly attach to it and there is another plastic wall right behind it. This is exactly where the rattle was coming from. The usb dock would cause the 2 plastics walls to rattle when hiting a bump. Adding some isulation tape fixed my issue and its now gone !!!!

Toyota should hire you and pay you royalties on your fixes. Two "small" things that just took a couple hours to create a resolution would have been great for Toyota to do and really extend good will. But its the way they pay their dealer mechs (like any other car company) that causes this foolishness.

I have already saved off these two fixes for when we get ours.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
2011 Hyundai Sonata Ltd (to be replaced)
post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:09 PM

Location: New Jersey - north west area where you don't parallel park
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Yea, but if they have someone fix it... then the dealer can't say "they all do that !"

I am sure there are mechanics that shake their heads knowing they can fix it, but aren't allowed to because it's not an official fix.
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
I got my Rav brand new it had less than 100kms on it back in december.

The transmission issue now. Started from day one, coming to a stop it would hard downshift into first launching me forward and would hesitate to acceleratr afterward. The solution was to do a full stop and wait for the transmission to downshift into first gear or drive in snow mode since the Rav nevers goes into first gear that way. I am now at 7000kms and now when ever the Rav downshifts into first gear, you can hear a mechanical clunk. It almost sounds like a bad engine mount to be honest. Iíll be bringing it in soon for that.
I think I might be having the same type of noise near/around the center console on my adventure. I actually just noticed it in the last few days and only on a portion of my commute on rough highway. I initially thought I had something loose rolling around in my glove box or console.

When you say take off the shifter assembly, do you mean the entire lower surround near the footwells or more the top near portion near the shifter knob?

Thank you for your help.
post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by japoki1982 View Post
I think I might be having the same type of noise near/around the center console on my adventure. I actually just noticed it in the last few days and only on a portion of my commute on rough highway. I initially thought I had something loose rolling around in my glove box or console.

When you say take off the shifter assembly, do you mean the entire lower surround near the footwells or more the top near portion near the shifter knob?

Thank you for your help.

I am referring to the top plastic where you select your driving mode and gear select. You have to use a trim remover tool and pry it off. There is also a little u shaped clip holding the shifter boot in place. Once that is off, you can easily pry off the usb and power port plastic off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement