Seeking opinion in regards to fixing the mirror myself - FIXED! - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Seeking opinion in regards to fixing the mirror myself - FIXED!

Hey everyone,

As some of you might have seen me post in a few places that my passenger side mirror cracks and vibrate so much to a point that it is driving me crazy. It has now escalated that as soon as I go over 80kmh, the mirror vibrates due to the wind and create a constant rattling noise. I just got out of the dealer yesterday and was told once again they can't do anything because they cannot guarantee a replacement mirror won't do the same thing.

I am to a point that I've had enough. The dealer and Toyota refuse to help me and I was told yesterday that it is such a small issue that it could take a year or even more for Toyota to find a solution to it. I don't know what is wrong with Toyota but coming from Hyundai/Kia where these issue are common. I never had any issue with a dealer bringing my car in, finding the vibration/rattle and fixing it by adding insulation or tape or what ever was required to have it stop.

Anyway, enough with venting. I told the advisor yesterday that I am now considering fixing it myself, but he advised me to not touch it since if the day Toyota ever finds a fix, I am basically voiding any warranty in regards to this specific mirror since I would have touched it.

What do you guys think? Sounds like BS to me... I don't see the difference between disassembling a mirror or doing my own oil changes...

To fix my issue, I would install sound dampening material inside the mirror and inside my door panels and under the A-pillar.

Hell, while I am at it, I might do all door panels to reduce road noise a bit.

Opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Thanked 1,026 Times in 900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunken View Post
I told the advisor yesterday that I am now considering fixing it myself, but he advised me to not touch it since if the day Toyota ever finds a fix, I am basically voiding any warranty in regards to this specific mirror since I would have touched it.
Losing the warranty? They've already told you it's worthless.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:44 AM

Location: New Jersey - north west area where you don't parallel park
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
In the 745 page US owners manual, it shows how to "do it yourself" and one of the items it shows is replacing mirror glass. Have you tried foam around the glass, just to see if the mirror is vibrating or the assembly itself. I have a 2019 Rav4 hybrid, just a few days old and noticed on smooth highways the mirror will vibrate for a second or two. Not constantly, not that much.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
Losing the warranty? They've already told you it's worthless.

So true...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB-NJ View Post
In the 745 page US owners manual, it shows how to "do it yourself" and one of the items it shows is replacing mirror glass. Have you tried foam around the glass, just to see if the mirror is vibrating or the assembly itself. I have a 2019 Rav4 hybrid, just a few days old and noticed on smooth highways the mirror will vibrate for a second or two. Not constantly, not that much.

I've tried holding having someone hold the mirror when driving. The vibration seems to be coming from inside the assembly. I even suspect it could simply be a loose bolt holding the whole assembly to the car as it seems loose to me.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
The dealer told me that soon Toyota is coming out with a fix for the mirrors. They told me the dealership will be getting the fix within 6 months or sooner. They said Toyota is aware of the problem.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post
The dealer told me that soon Toyota is coming out with a fix for the mirrors. They told me the dealership will be getting the fix within 6 months or sooner. They said Toyota is aware of the problem.
They better be aware of them darn mirrors lol. It's all over the internet. same goes for the transmission.

2 other folks at my work location have a new Rav and we all have the same issues.

I know I am not waiting 6 months to fix it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I would leave it alone in fear of voiding the warranty, just my 2 cents. Best of luck.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Seeking opinion in regards to fixing the mirror myself

Sorry, Andre. I sympathize with you. Unfortunately, Toyota has used early purchasers to “beta test” their new model update for them, after you have spent $35,000 or so. Some of the early complaints are relatively major (e.g., raspy, loud motor; clunky, rough transmission) others less so, like the mirror, etc.

I myself have made a past decision to buy a first year after major model update, early. It didn’t turn out well. Lots of “they all do that” and other owners, mostly fanboys, telling you it’s your fault. My advice is to continue to take the vehicle in for warranty service until they hate you and you get some satisfaction. Wait a bit on self correction. Sorry to say, but you are in “early buyers” hell.

People that think Toyota doesn’t act like the rest are mistaken. Toyota reviews all of the problems and obvious omissions in construction and engineering revealed by owners in the first year, decides what to correct ( or not) and then in year two many, but not all, are corrected.

It’s what they do. The sad, but obvious answer is, don’t buy early in the first year. I know. I did, too.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to EddieJoe For This Useful Post:
Souza (04-09-2019)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Thanked 1,056 Times in 878 Posts
Garage
If it's just the mirror element and not the entire mirror, a temporary fix would be to tuck some weatherstrip foam pieces between the mirror and cover to keep if from moving so much, after it's adjusted to driving position of course.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickdtoo For This Useful Post:
jbsali (04-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page