engine quiet now - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-12-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
engine quiet now

My engine is a lot quieter in everyday driving now. is it the warmer weather, miles in the car, my new driving habits, transmission adjusting to my driving style or my OEM hood insulator or a combination of the above? Anyways pretty happy about it.

2019 RAV4 ADVENTURE (AKA 2020 TRD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
probably combo of everything
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmb2003 View Post
My engine is a lot quieter in everyday driving now. is it the warmer weather, miles in the car, my new driving habits, transmission adjusting to my driving style or my OEM hood insulator or a combination of the above? Anyways pretty happy about it.
Now ain't that nice? Would have been a shame if it got to the point where you had buyer's remorse, now wouldn't it have?

And gee golly, I don't mind the loudness of my engine at all, and never did. I haven't had to adjust my driving style or buy an OEM hood liner either! Not sure what you were ever complaining about. I hope it didn't cause anybody to change their mind about buying a 2019 Rav4.
The Following User Says Thank You to CFike For This Useful Post:
outbackandy (04-14-2019)

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-14-2019, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFike View Post
Now ain't that nice? Would have been a shame if it got to the point where you had buyer's remorse, now wouldn't it have?

And gee golly, I don't mind the loudness of my engine at all, and never did. I haven't had to adjust my driving style or buy an OEM hood liner either! Not sure what you were ever complaining about. I hope it didn't cause anybody to change their mind about buying a 2019 Rav4.
I'm thinking that the cold winter weather and the breaking in of the engine added to the engine noise.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-14-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackandy View Post
I'm thinking that the cold winter weather and the breaking in of the engine added to the engine noise.
The only change in engine noise that I've been able to discern is the difference in noise when the engine is cold and warmed up. Now that the outside temps are increasing, that's going to be less noticeable. If there's any noticeable noise difference due to break-in, that would be concerning.

Personally, engine noise has never bothered me and my hearing is fine. Is it maybe a little loud if you accelerate heavily? Sure, maybe, but who cares? I don't drive like that as a matter of habit anyway.

Either way by dcmb2003's logic, if this was really a problem, Toyota would issue a TSB and fix it. Reasonable people are just fine with it. No need for him to complain about it on a forum where it might change other people's minds about buying this vehicle, right dcmb2003?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-14-2019, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
engine quiet now

Whether the engine noise level is a problem for an owner is certainly subjective. I personally like to read professional reviews and owner reviews ahead of my own “road testing”. Then, armed with some issues to look for, I can best decide what I find. Reality is that owners forums, like this one, have many members posting who are brand “enthusiasts”. This especially shows up in the first few months of new vehicle honeymoon ownership. All entirely expected and normal, but it is what it is.

My last three new vehicles were purchased in 2014, 2015, and 2017. Two of the three are loud as can be, the third much quieter. The loud engines, especially when cold, are annoying, even grating over time. And I have never liked that, especially when I pay a lot. But sometimes “cons” such as engine noise are less important than other attributes, so you buy the noisier vehicle, anyway. But the vehicle will always be noisy.

If it doesn’t bother you, not a problem.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I think certain people need to take the petty fights to PM's. Its pretty clear who is instigating what and its really annoying. Stop trying to grind an ax in public.

As addressing engine noise, is it valve clatter, mech fuel pumps...what? I know Ford and Hyundai put a heavily padded engine cover (monstrosity of a object on top of the heads) to reduce that diesel like sound.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
2011 Hyundai Sonata Ltd (to be replaced)
The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:
dcmb2003 (04-15-2019)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFike View Post
The only change in engine noise that I've been able to discern is the difference in noise when the engine is cold and warmed up. Now that the outside temps are increasing, that's going to be less noticeable. If there's any noticeable noise difference due to break-in, that would be concerning.

Personally, engine noise has never bothered me and my hearing is fine. Is it maybe a little loud if you accelerate heavily? Sure, maybe, but who cares? I don't drive like that as a matter of habit anyway.

Either way by dcmb2003's logic, if this was really a problem, Toyota would issue a TSB and fix it. Reasonable people are just fine with it. No need for him to complain about it on a forum where it might change other people's minds about buying this vehicle, right dcmb2003?
Your behavior is becoming a bit creepy and stalker-ish.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javadoo For This Useful Post:
2019MyRav4 (04-15-2019), Colonel (04-15-2019), dcmb2003 (04-15-2019), toyto44 (04-16-2019)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
I think certain people need to take the petty fights to PM's. Its pretty clear who is instigating what and its really annoying. Stop trying to grind an ax in public.

As addressing engine noise, is it valve clatter, mech fuel pumps...what? I know Ford and Hyundai put a heavily padded engine cover (monstrosity of a object on top of the heads) to reduce that diesel like sound.
I tend to react to being trolled, but point taken.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadoo View Post
Your behavior is becoming a bit creepy and stalker-ish.
Really? I happened to come across this post and responded the way I did to make a point - he knows exactly why. I personally don't care about engine noise - it doesn't bother me. But I'm not going to go around and mock, discredit people, etc. just because they take issue with something about the vehicle.

I guess it's okay though for this jerk to show up in the thread I posted on a very real functional problem and Toyota's lousy response and start running his mouth. Yes, I should have ignored him - but I didn't and here we are.

If anybody wants to carry this any further, please take the previous person's advice and just PM me. Enough is enough.

Peace...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement