Guide to removing door panel (Quest to fixing my rattling mirror) - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Guide to removing door panel (Quest to fixing my rattling mirror)

I finally decided to open up my door panel in order to look at what could be causing my mirror to vibrate and though that while doing it, i might as well write a quick how to remove door panel. A quick spoiler, i found and fixed my vibrating mirror 
You will need a small flat head, a #2 Philips and a trim removing tool. Sorry for the pics, I didn't know how to directly attach them.

Step 1: Using your trim removing tool, pop-out the power window trim. Be gentle. Unclip the power connector afterward.Poped side pannel.jpg

Step 2: Using the same tool, remove the small trim around the door handle. Behind this you should find a screw that need’s to be removed with your Philips screw driver.Door handle scre exposed.jpg

Step 3: Now, you can remove the side rubber style fascia. To do so, there is a small insert where my finger is pointing where you can insert a flat head screwdriver. Gently pry it of. After make your way with a trim removing tool and gently pop-out the remaining holding clips.Side trim insert 2.jpg

Step 4: There are 2 screws holding this panel and they are located where you pull the door to close it. They are into the circle opening. There is a final screw to the far right. (See picture)side trrim screw.jpg

Step 5: Using your trim removing tool and starting on the bottom left of the door (there is an insert) slowly and gently start prying the door panel off. You need to be really gentle to not break the retaining clips. You should hear some obvious pop when one of those clips release. Once they are all released, remove the door panel upward.

Here is what the inside of our doors looks like. As you can see, there is no insulation at all, no anti vibration pad and we were wondering why the Rav4 felt noisy. I know I'll be installing some insulation on my own when it gets warmer outside.Naked side pannel.jpg

Now to my final issue, my mirror. When i started inspecting, i found 2/3 screws that are holding my mirror to have become lose. I also found a random screw on the door it self that was tighten 2/10 probably. After tighting these bolts. My vibration is now gone !!!! The screws where located behind that black housing and the random one was on the top of the panel.faulkty scer.jpg random bad screw.jpg

What I've learned from this is that my Rav was probably built on a Friday.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sunken For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (04-16-2019), Astrodoof (04-16-2019), cluses (Yesterday), piyoman (04-15-2019), Quickdtoo (04-15-2019), Sigurd02 (04-15-2019), SM05 (04-16-2019), Techsus (Today)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Great post. Where’d you get your trim remover tool? I’d be interested in loctighting all of these loose screws and adding some dynamat myself, at least in the front doors.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
HOLY........

If thats how its coming from Japan....

This post needs stickied. I really wish we had a mod forum so we could have individual threads for topics versus searching a big huge thread for info.

Oh and PROPS to you for digging in and solving it!

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
2011 Hyundai Sonata Ltd (to be replaced)
The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (04-16-2019)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit View Post
Great post. Whered you get your trim remover tool? Id be interested in loctighting all of these loose screws and adding some dynamat myself, at least in the front doors.

I have one from Harbor Freight and one from an LED set I bought...

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
2011 Hyundai Sonata Ltd (to be replaced)
The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (04-16-2019)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
Quote:
Great post. Where’d you get your trim remover tool? I’d be interested in loctighting all of these loose screws and adding some dynamat myself, at least in the front doors.

I have one from Harbor Freight and one from an LED set I bought...
What exactly am I looking for? Is this essentially a plastic knife/wedge? I have as many tools as any dad but I’ve never specifically bought a trim remover.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I got my kit at Canadian tire lol cost about 10$

Heres what it looks like. https://www.amazon.ca/Marrywindix-Da...s%2C137&sr=8-3
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
HOLY........

If thats how its coming from Japan....

This post needs stickied. I really wish we had a mod forum so we could have individual threads for topics versus searching a big huge thread for info.

Oh and PROPS to you for digging in and solving it!
I don't think it is something we will see only on Japan made model. I believe this is how they build the Rav. The tricky part when adding insulation will be to have it applied to the the inner panel as what you see in my picture is not the back of the metal door where you normally want to apply this stuff.

I mean, you can pop the white cover off but you have the break the rivets for that and that should give you plenty of room to apply the insulator.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Garage
You'll likely find spray-on sound deadener on the inside of the outer door skin that's similar to what you see in the spare tire well, I plan on adding 2mm Damplifier Pro to the front doors and under the front carpet. Thanks for the tutorial!

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/124...ml#post2402601

2019 XLE Premium AWD

Last edited by Quickdtoo; 04-15-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Added link to Torque's 4.4 insulation project.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
You'll likely find spray-on sound deadener on the inside of the outer door skin that's similar to what you see in the spare tire well, I plan on adding 2mm Damplifier Pro to the front doors and under the front carpet. Thanks for the tutorial!

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/124...ml#post2402601
Nop, I've already looked inside and there is nothing at all other than that white silicone to cover the welds. They really cheaped out on insulation.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunken View Post
Nop, I've already looked inside and there is nothing at all other than that white silicone to cover the welds. They really cheaped out on insulation.
Maybe a plus, the butyl sound deadener should stick good then!!

2019 XLE Premium AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page