Are you happy with either Toyota USA or Toyota Canada - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Are you happy with either Toyota USA or Toyota Canada

Hello fellow members,

What has been your experience dealing with either Toyota USA or Toyota Canada ?

Today, I called Toyota Canada because my Dealer was giving me conflicting information. So I decided to go to the horse for clarification. Hold and behold I fought them to be useless. Is this what I will be getting myself into ? I like the Rav4 2019 but I might be looking elsewhere !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I am disapointed with the roll out of the rav4. They are talking 2020 already and haven't even fully supplied the 2019 market. Options from USA and Canada not the same, accessories not available. I find more and more in large organisations ppl you talk to only know their job and nothing else, or are unwilling to give out extra info for fear of reprimand,or there is a lack of do diligence. There is a chain of command and don't you dare break it. The USMC trade negotiations may have had impact on this also.Frustrating!!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanakao For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (04-16-2019), jbsali (04-18-2019)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
What specific information were you looking for, and who specifically did you contact?
Toyota has a dealer network to handle customers. Customer interaction with corporate is generally something involving dissatisfaction with service from a local dealer. They really are not set up for Q&A from owners or potential buyers.

-- Rich
2015 Rav4 XLE, 2016 Corolla S-Premium

The Following User Says Thank You to CB91710 For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (04-16-2019)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I agree with you 100% has become frustrating dealing with Politics (corporate America, corporate Canada, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanakao View Post
I am disapointed with the roll out of the rav4. They are talking 2020 already and haven't even fully supplied the 2019 market. Options from USA and Canada not the same, accessories not available. I find more and more in large organisations ppl you talk to only know their job and nothing else, or are unwilling to give out extra info for fear of reprimand,or there is a lack of do diligence. There is a chain of command and don't you dare break it. The USMC trade negotiations may have had impact on this also.Frustrating!!!!!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Lofano View Post
Hello fellow members,

What has been your experience dealing with either Toyota USA or Toyota Canada ?

Today, I called Toyota Canada because my Dealer was giving me conflicting information. So I decided to go to the horse for clarification. Hold and behold I fought them to be useless. Is this what I will be getting myself into ? I like the Rav4 2019 but I might be looking elsewhere !
Asked Toyota Canada a question and got a dumb response. So yeah, so far pretty useless. Pretty sure they will be no help, but thankfully my dealer seems to be pretty good and on the ball. So happy with that at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to XA50_Trail For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
I am coming from Hyundai/Kia where everyone bash their quality and reliability. Following 3 fairly serious engines recalls and a lot of issue on my previous SUV (Sorento) I decided to take a chance on the Rav4 based on everyone saying everywhere how Toyota is reliable and that if you ever have the slightness issue, their customer support is so good that you should not worry about it. In my 4 months of ownership, i had my share of experience with them and i am to a point that i'll deal with Toyota for recalls only simply for the fact that they have clearly indicated to me how incompetent and non willing to help me.

My biggest example is my vibrating mirror. I went a total of 3 times as the matter got worse and worse and every time the dealer kept telling that this is perfectly normal to hear a rattling mirror non-stop when going over 70km/h. It is so normal that i went with the tech try another Rav they had in stock and this one was not doing it. I tried bringing my Rav to a second dealer and same course of action happened. Now for the people that have seen my latest post, i finally decided to dig and found the issue and i resolved it my-self. 2 lose screws that hold the mirror was my issue. According to Toyota dealer and Toyota Canada my rattling mirror was perfectly normal, which brings me into thinking that it is normal for some screw to be lose... Now keep in mind it took me 30 minutes to diagnose and fix my issue and have the truck back and running. Hell i don't work in the car industry but I've worked in costumer support for a good part of my life and when you have a client that spent a good amount of money and keeps coming back for the same issue and he seems to be getting more angry every time, you try to find a way to fix his problem. I don't know but if i were the mechanic manager, i would asked that the door panel be removed and the mirror assembly to be inspected. Especially after seeing that another model does not have the issue.

Now into the transmission issue. Toyota had the same issue with their Camry, the acknowledged it with a recall. I get it that the Rav is new and the same issue has carried over, but don't act and say this is the normal way the transmission operate. It simply makes no sense. If it was normal like they are saying, ALL THE RAV would have this issue. There would not be luck of the draw in this matter. I am doing monthly follow up at Toyota Canada and just last week they finally said that they have received multiple complains and are looking into the situation. I asked the lady if they now see it as a problem and again i was told, no this is the normal way the transmission operates. The Rav is one of the most selling SUV so i am almost certain it will get fixed simply because people will complain.

I also had some issue when i bought the truck at the dealership but that could simply be the dealer sucking big time. They forgot to install my winter tire even thought in Quebec, winter tires are required by law and i made darn sure they were aware of it before picking it up. They also misplaced my deposit and on top of it registered the SUV to my wife name instead of mine (which got resolved 1 month later)

It also blows my mind how a 30 000$ Suv does not come with any type of sound insulation under the hood and in any of the door panels. How cheap can you be?

To end my rant, like i mentioned earlier, i come from Kia/Hyundai vehicles and i had my share of issue, but the dealer always made it right to me when i had issue and if it was out of their control, a simple call to Hyundai Canada would have my issue fixed within the next few days.

The worse about all of this is that i absolutely love my Rav4 even with all those issue, but depending how the following years go, this might be my only experience with a Toyota.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunken For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (04-16-2019), cobb1887 (04-23-2019)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunken View Post
To end my rant, like i mentioned earlier, i come from Kia/Hyundai vehicles and i had my share of issue, but the dealer always made it right to me when i had issue and if it was out of their control, a simple call to Hyundai Canada would have my issue fixed within the next few days.

The worse about all of this is that i absolutely love my Rav4 even with all those issue, but depending how the following years go, this might be my only experience with a Toyota.
I never got the impression that Toyota was a brand that went above and beyond with their dealership experience. That prize goes to Lexus. You should write an email to Toyota Corporate and see what they say about your awful experience with two seperate dealers. Corporate should want to know about an issue with their best selling vehicle.

It certainly feels like Toyota is relying on their reliability reputation to drive their sales more so than the quality of the vehicles as compared to their competition. They know that when most people think about buying a vehicle, their minds go straight to the Toyota product in the segment and will buy it without even a test drive. It's allowed them to coast, to make vehicles that are good enough, as long as they're reliable.

Back in 2013 when I was shopping around for a replacement for my 2000 Camry, the new Camry was near the bottom of my list after test drives. All of the reviews in magazines confirmed my own feelings. Their products have gotten better, according to reviews, but still not topping the segment. Again, making "good enough" vehicles. The fact that they're priced much higher than the competition bugs me. Why is a power driver's seat not standard on the XLE? Why is a fully loaded RAV4 $5k more than their competition (aside from the Tiguan?!)?
The Following User Says Thank You to erigion For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Toyota USA is effectively useless along with the dealer I purchased from. As long as everything goes pretty much according to plan, you'll most likely end up happy. Otherwise good luck. I have shift shock problems like the 2018 Camry had that the TSB was issued for. As Sunken indicated above, Toyota (and of course the dealer) are stating that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle. If I hadn't just paid over 30k for this thing, I'd be having a good laugh. It's beyond me how they can respond this way and think that they will be able to maintain any sort of credibility. They deserve to lose market share big time if this is how they've decided to run their company. But remember the unintended acceleration problems that some of their vehicles had starting back in late 2009? Deny, deny, deny, until they couldn't anymore. Apparently they're still a bunch of liars and customers are just idiots to them.

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyot...ry?id=22972214
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFike View Post
But remember the unintended acceleration problems that some of their vehicles had starting back in late 2009? Deny, deny, deny, until they couldn't anymore. Apparently they're still a bunch of liars and customers are just idiots to them.
There were ZERO confirmed cases where this happened due to anything other than the accelerator being physically pushed down.

Just because there is a settlement or a jury finds one way or another does not make it true.

Once again, I ask the OP....
What specific information were you looking for, and who specifically did you contact?
Toyota has a dealer network to handle customers. Customer interaction with corporate is generally something involving dissatisfaction with service from a local dealer. They really are not set up for Q&A from owners or potential buyers.

So far, this thread is nothing but bashing Toyota.

-- Rich
2015 Rav4 XLE, 2016 Corolla S-Premium

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB91710 View Post
There were ZERO confirmed cases where this happened due to anything other than the accelerator being physically pushed down.
That's simply not true. They found cases of the accelerator getting stuck on the floor mat, along with cases of the accelerator pedal just sticking in a depressed position. That is indisputable fact. Also indisputable fact is that Toyota admitted to misleading customers and covering up. https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmu.../#49dfa0f86c1e
I've also read that after the fact, a few years after the initial investigation that NASA was involved in, it was discovered that there were two design problems with their drive by wire system - one was that a simple bit flip (conceivably caused by cosmic rays) would result in sudden acceleration and the other was that the system's software stack was too small which could result in data being overwritten, also resulting in unintended acceleration. There were people that said they had sudden acceleration w/out sticking or trapped pedals. Some people were caught lying about their claims, but some had plausible claims. You can look that up, I don't feel like doing it up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB91710 View Post
So far, this thread is nothing but bashing Toyota.
Hardly, facts are facts. I'd be their biggest fan, but I can't. They've been proving themselves to be a bunch of liars. And it's hardly surprising because there are few nowadays that have any integrity left. Doubt that? Watch "(Dis)honesty, the truth about lies". It's on amazon prime and probably a few other places.
The Following User Says Thank You to CFike For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (04-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page