Question on "Utility" - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question on "Utility"

Hello All,
I am new to the forum, though I have been lurking for a few months. My wife drives a 2002 Rav4L and it has made a lasting impression on me. The durability and longevity of that little car is really impressive. We are well over 200K and shows no signs of slowing down, it also shows very little wear and tear in comparison to my car. I own a 2007 Mazda3 which is a blast to drive and has been a good car but at 180k miles the paint is all but a memory and the engine and transmission mounts wont last longer that 10k miles at this point. I am in the market for a new car and the Rav4 is right up their on my list. Really I am between the Rav4 and because I don't learn from my mistakes a Mazda CX-5. I will be buying end of year or beginning of next, if Subaru re-releases the Forester XT that will also be in the running.

I have test driven the Rav and really like it, however I immediately had an issue with engine noise however, my 2002 is very loud and still runs like a top. I also have driven the CX-5 gtr with the turbo and really like that car as well. I am hoping to get some input from current owners, I know the CX-5 is not really apples to apples since they are geared toward different lifestyles(so to speak).

I would be interested in a Adventure model, a little background on me. I hunt, fish and generally enjoy the outdoors. I've done all these activities in my little mazda3 but definitely am always lacking in space and ground clearance, mostly the latter. I am not venturing out too deep into wilderness but that may be due to my current limitations in my car. If the need arises do you guys feel the new adventure model really has the capability of getting me in and out of some pretty sketchy logging roads or deep sand? I am fully aware I won't be rock crawling or making cool youtube off road videos but it would be really fun to take some light off road trails in the desert to get to a remote camping spot. I do not see myself swapping wheels or suspension components but who knows if the Rav4 proves capable enough maybe it will warrant some upgrades to further its capabilities. I am thinking a roof rack, maybe a hitch basket and some lights will be the extent of my modifications. All mods would be strictly for the purpose of packing stuff in and out. The CX-5 will be much more limited in all these avenues but in my personal opinion will look much better doing it and it will be a lot more fun getting the turbo spooled up in day to day driving. I live in California by the way and spend 80% of my life under 15 mph on the 405 fwy.

Any opinions and suggestions are appreciated, thank you all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycancino24 View Post
Any opinions and suggestions are appreciated, thank you all in advance.

I purchased a 2007 Jeep Wrangler brand new. And still own the vehicle. Over the years I have tried to learn everything I can about the Jeep lifestyle and what is needed to support that lifestyle. Unfortunately my working lifestyle doesn't allow much in the opportunity to live a Jeep'ers lifestyle. But I still feel confident in that I have the knowledge to do so if the opportunity should ever present itself. Having said all that - I think that the Rav4 is a decent Off-Road vehicle. As long as you understand the limitations of the vehicle AND what is needed to navigate different types of terrain. If your going to run her through mud and sand, you will need the right tire. And be able to AIR Up/Down for traction and On/Off road conditions. The Adventure will be fine for moderate (dry) logging trails (with standard AS tires) But I would suggest an AT tire.

PS: I love my Rav Adventure.

2019 Lunar Rock Adventure
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, I too have lusted over jeeps but I know in my heart that I can neither afford nor do I have the time to justify it. I don't plan on running thru mud or sand but sometimes my hunting and fishing spots just lead me thru it. I'm 90% sure the Rav can get in and out of this stuff but real life owner experience is worth way more than a youtube video of a Toyota prepared demonstration. Thanks.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have a 2019 adventure coming which I ordered in January.

Had I known then what I know now, I would still order a Rav4 but I would probably wait till 2020 models come out.

-Seems like there are some bugs to work out in 2019.
-2020 has a Rav4 TRD model coming (adventure plus some extra). You might want to google it. I read some of the brief press releases I could find and it seems the TRD doesn't add much actual off roading ability over the adventure (mostly different body cladding, tires, special struts but mostly everything else is the same personally I would have waited for the TRD had I known since it looks like it'll come in white exterior option, which adventure does not, and the interior orange trim is replaced by red in the TRD).
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Thanked 1,056 Times in 878 Posts
Garage
I'd seriously consider the Hybrid if you don't need the Adventure tow capability, HVs have a 1750lb tow rating compared to 1500lbs for the non-Adventure gas models, and 8.1" ground clearance, a fair bit more than my '16 Ltd HV which worked fine on old logging roads and forest roads for me for 3yrs, it went everywhere I needed in my hunting and fishing trips, even some places I probably shouldn't have gone, but it always made it with no issues. I would have loved a '19 HV, but they weren't available when my lease expired, but I'll be replacing my XLE-P in a couple years with another HV.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by japoki1982 View Post
I have a 2019 adventure coming which I ordered in January.

Had I known then what I know now, I would still order a Rav4 but I would probably wait till 2020 models come out.

-Seems like there are some bugs to work out in 2019.
-2020 has a Rav4 TRD model coming (adventure plus some extra). You might want to google it. I read some of the brief press releases I could find and it seems the TRD doesn't add much actual off roading ability over the adventure (mostly different body cladding, tires, special struts but mostly everything else is the same personally I would have waited for the TRD had I known since it looks like it'll come in white exterior option, which adventure does not, and the interior orange trim is replaced by red in the TRD).

I experienced the same growing pains with the 2007 JK (First Year New Style). And I'm am confident that Toyota is going to take care of the issues. It is unfortunate to have to deal with these issues. But not a deal breaker as long as Toyota follows through. And, so far, it looks like they will.

Looks to me like (for the Off-Road Model at least) all of the changes are just superficial. The struts you speak of appear to be intended for the street models.

2019 Lunar Rock Adventure
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
I'd seriously consider the Hybrid if you don't need the Adventure tow capability, HVs have a 1750lb tow rating compared to 1500lbs for the non-Adventure gas models, and 8.1" ground clearance, a fair bit more than my '16 Ltd HV which worked fine on old logging roads and forest roads for me for 3yrs, it went everywhere I needed in my hunting and fishing trips, even some places I probably shouldn't have gone, but it always made it with no issues. I would have loved a '19 HV, but they weren't available when my lease expired, but I'll be replacing my XLE-P in a couple years with another HV.
HV with i-AWD can tow 3500lbs...

2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD Innovation (EU)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Thanked 1,026 Times in 900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonJot View Post
That's probably the European rating only. Over here in the Americas the lawyers don't trust us to know anything about towing so we often see much lower ratings for otherwise identical vehicles.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Barcelona Red Limited - wife's
2018 Accord Hybrid, Blue Pearl - Dr. Dyno's - 47/47 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2003 F-250 4X4 - eventual replacement for the '99
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!

"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
Quote:
That's probably the European rating only. Over here in the Americas the lawyers don't trust us to know anything about towing so we often see much lower ratings for otherwise identical vehicles.
Hilarious! This was my exact thought. American lawyers and insurance company influence.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Thanked 1,056 Times in 878 Posts
Garage
Quote:
1750lbs in the US.

2019 XLE Premium AWD